What is the best controller to use for PC gaming?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Switch Pro Controller on hand. Is there a better one worth buying for PC gaming?

I'm not sure the Switch Pro battery's life, but I use a Wii U Pro + Mayflash magic-s pro. The reason: Wii U Pro's battery life lasts around 80(!) hours before you have to recharge it. Nothing else I know of comes close, plus I find it very comfortable.

Reactions: impeeza

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure the Switch Pro battery's life, but I use a Wii U Pro + Mayflash magic-s pro. The reason: Wii U Pro's battery life lasts around 80(!) hours before you have to recharge it. Nothing else I know of comes close, plus I find it very comfortable.
While I haven't used on for years now this seems to be my best option at this point in time. There's one which has been sitting under my bed since I got a Switch.

BubsyOrange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I typically use my Dualshock 4 controller for many games that have controller support on PC. But, I do sometimes end up using an Xbox One controller for some games as well.

Reactions: impeeza

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using xbox 360 wired controller since it's cheap and it's easily replaceable.
I used one for years, it's probably the best overall because you don't ever have to think about compatibility or button mapping. But, it recently died and I'm not finding it easy to replace here in UK. I wish they still made official ones.

The DualSense is my favourite controller but it's such a pain in the arse to use on Windows without native support.

Whom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's a controller with a good and easy to reach D-pad? I tried two 8Bitdo controllers. One SNES shaped controller and one PS1 shaped controller. The SNES shaped one is too small for my giant hands and the PS1 shaped one has analogue shoulder buttons which I don't like because they feel different and barely any games use them.

I want to use it for D-pad heavy games like Hollow Knight. The Switch Pro controller is good enough for games which don't use the D-pad much like Tears of the Kingdom.

You're going to have a hard time finding ones targeting modern platforms that don't use analogue triggers since they've been the norm for a while now for everyone except Nintendo who weirdly only did it for one generation and are necessary for entire genres of games (namely racing games). There are plenty of controllers targeting the Switch of course, but if you're picky about dpads and want something big, the landscape is pretty barren.

I'd suggest using a retro controller you like with an adapter for those games you prefer to play with a dpad. A Saturn pad, maybe? Hell, maybe even a Saturn 3D pad for the extra bulk to give an easier grip.

Tams80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Switch Pro controller is a perfectly fine controller, and in my opinion the most comfortable of any (perhaps the Wii U Pro being slightly more so).

But if you want analog triggers (which if youcee after a controller for a PC you probably do), then, honestly, whichever is most comfortable.

DualSense controllers can be nice with the touchpad, but the ergonomics might not suit you. The Xbox controllers are good (as I doubt you'll need a gyro). The Xbox Elite 2 with four paddles is cool and all, but the build quality is not up to par. 8BitDo controllers are very good.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
xbox controller with the usb pc dongle. can't beat it and most games are already programmed to use it too. no programming, install or 3rd party software needed just plug and play. i'm currently using it now to play the new dysmantle DLC

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Tams80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A gaming Keyboard and mouse is far superior to a console controller. I recommend you learn how play that way. Even better than a keyboard is a programmable gaming pad like the Logitech G13 or Razor Orbweaver coupled with a Logitech G502 mouse. Learn how to game with these devices, and you'll realize how shitty console controllers are.

This isn't helpful.

For almost any vehicle control, short of niche controls like joysticks, wheels, etc. a gamepad is much better.

It doesn't help that your recommendation has several issues.
  • The Logitech G13 has been out of production for around a decade now. Any examples are rare and very expensive.
  • The G13 thumbstick isn't great and needs modding.
  • The Razer Orbweaver (and all the earlier Nostromos) are digital eight way pads, not analogue sticks.
  • In some games, concurrent XInput and DirectInput are not supported (e.g. Sleeping Dogs) and there's no easy way to fix this.
  • When controlling vehicles, using a stick is better than a mouse for view control as you can reset it in a much smaller area and only need to release the stick to do so. With a mouse you need to physically bring it back.
Now, there is Azeron, but the their build quality is mediocre (3D printed) and some of their peripherals are often out of stock. They are expensive too. And you still have the issue with view control when controlling vehicles.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the 8bitdo Ultimate 2.4g and it’s a really nice controller. Has a charging dock that the usb dongle plugs into so it also acts as range extender. You can also switch to Bluetooth which makes this an easy controller to use with different consoles. Been using it for everything since I got it.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
xbox controller with the usb pc dongle. can't beat it and most games are already programmed to use it too. no programming, install or 3rd party software needed just plug and play. i'm currently using it now to play the new dysmantle DLC
This is the Xbox controller with the retroflag adapter, it rocks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjocrCuXN-w