What is the best controller to use for PC gaming?

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want something that is dang near universal on a windows PC? just get an xbox 360 controller/xbox one controller. Wired or wireless.
They both work with 99% of all supported PC games, as well as emulators.
No issues for my own personal experiences besides battery dying or the random bluetooth connection issue.

Biggest issue is the cost 😑 for a new one.
edit: but the ones ive had have lasted for literal years wearing away the thumbsticks. :toot:

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Stadia controller, the best ever.

8BitDo Pro 2 is the second best. have the advantages of been multiplatform. works on PS, Xbox macOS and PC, even Switch.
If you’re going with a Stadia controller, I feel you might as well buy a dual sense… I own both, and the Stadia has a bit more latency and honestly just isn’t as comfortable for longer sessions for me.

Reactions: tabzer and impeeza

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want something that is dang near universal on a windows PC? just get an xbox 360 controller/xbox one controller. Wired or wireless.
They both work with 99% of all supported PC games, as well as emulators.
No issues for my own personal experiences besides battery dying or the random bluetooth connection issue.

Biggest issue is the cost 😑 for a new one.
edit: but the ones ive had have lasted for literal years wearing away the thumbsticks. :toot:
I have an XBOX one controller or two.
As for the Bluetooth connection issue, I had that same problem until I updated the firmware on the controller and it seemed to rectified the issue. I don't have an XBOX console of any sort so updating via PC was the only way and requires a USB C cable. I'm not sure if Bluetooth version matters or not though for stable Bluetooth connections.

• Love
Reactions: eternal and impeeza

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd say XBOX Series/One wireless controller. Or elite if you want to go that route. They work with bluetooth (BLE) and USB. There are some minor problems (the buttons sometimes don't detect presses if not pressed correctly), but in my opinion they have the least problems in regards of compatibility

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K/M or an Xbox/Stadia/PlayStation controller.

The Switch Pro Controller is fantastic, but unfortunately it only has digital triggers so it's a bummer. It's fine for older games that can't recognize analog triggers.
Post automatically merged:

If you’re going with a Stadia controller, I feel you might as well buy a dual sense… I own both, and the Stadia has a bit more latency and honestly just isn’t as comfortable for longer sessions for me.
$5 vs $50

Stadia for a whole $5 is an amazing controller and I'd put it up there, maybe even better than a DS4 as it feels more sturdy and reliable whereas a DS4 I'm afraid to break by holding too tight.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't decided which controller to buy yet but I won't be using the Switch Pro Controller forever. I've been playing Super Metroid lately and the D-pad makes certain sections harder than they should be.

Dragozard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't decided which controller to buy yet but I won't be using the Switch Pro Controller forever. I've been playing Super Metroid lately and the D-pad makes certain sections harder than they should be.
Xbox Elite 2 has always been reliable for me. The 4 paddles give it so much utility when used in combination with Steam input. I also have an adapter that makes it register as a Switch controller, even has gyro.

Reactions: emcintosh

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an XBOX one controller or two.
As for the Bluetooth connection issue, I had that same problem until I updated the firmware on the controller and it seemed to rectified the issue. I don't have an XBOX console of any sort so updating via PC was the only way and requires a USB C cable. I'm not sure if Bluetooth version matters or not though for stable Bluetooth connections.
I didn't even know you could update the firmware on these dang controllers after all these years!~ Thank you! :grog: :toot:

Reactions: RandomUser

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a stadia controller, and will agree the build quality is better than Xbox and the DS4. However, I can't help but feel the triggers and bumpers don't feel as "good", whatever that means. I tend to use a multitude of controllers, and I've noticed that games feel different when I am using a Stadia controller, and not necessarily in a good way. I don't know what it is, but something feels off about it.'

Favorite controller is the DS5, hands down. Looking to try an 8bitdo next.

Just my 2 cents.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
A gaming Keyboard and mouse is far superior to a console controller. I recommend you learn how play that way. Even better than a keyboard is a programmable gaming pad like the Logitech G13 or Razor Orbweaver coupled with a Logitech G502 mouse. Learn how to game with these devices, and you'll realize how shitty console controllers are.

shadowheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A gaming Keyboard and mouse is far superior to a console controller. I recommend you learn how play that way. Even better than a keyboard is a programmable gaming pad like the Logitech G13 or Razor Orbweaver coupled with a Logitech G502 mouse. Learn how to game with these devices, and you'll realize how shitty console controllers are.
I agree with you, these are interesting devices. But maybe the OP is used to playing on consoles and likes controllers better, that's partly a matter of taste.

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A mouse and keyboard is great for FPS games but I'm not a fan of FPS games. The Logitech G13 and Razor Orbweaver look nice but I prefer to play sitting on the couch, not at a desk. Controllers all the way for me.

Reactions: eternal

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Not true for a good deal of games. There are a lot of games/types of games where using a gamepad is ideal, and many games are designed to be played this way with other peripheral support being an afterthought (if it exists at all).

I use an Xbox Core (Xbox Series) controller and have no complaints. I also used an Xbox One controller and have a similar experience. I prefer the D-pad on the newer model.

Reactions: eternal

captain_obvious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's a controller with a good and easy to reach D-pad? I tried two 8Bitdo controllers. One SNES shaped controller and one PS1 shaped controller. The SNES shaped one is too small for my giant hands and the PS1 shaped one has analogue shoulder buttons which I don't like because they feel different and barely any games use them.

I want to use it for D-pad heavy games like Hollow Knight. The Switch Pro controller is good enough for games which don't use the D-pad much like Tears of the Kingdom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4