Hacking What is slot-1 and slot-2?

• Thread starter lousk
  • Start date
  • Views 24,572
  • Replies 11
L

lousk

OP
I don't own a DS, but I'm looking into buying one soon and I don't know wich one to buy.
Please can you tell me the difference between slot1 and slot-2, and when to use either one.
What's the main difference between DS and DS lite, and the main advantage?
I checked NXntendo's website, but I couldn't gather the information that I need.

Your help is always appreciated.

myclock

Trophies
Website
www.ahg123.com
XP
Country
slot 1 = DS catridge slot
slot 2 = gba catridge slot

DS lite is lighter smaller and brighter than normal DS both slots do the same thing except some slot 2 can have memory in order for you to use a web browser with wifi

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The ds has the possibility to play gamboyadvance and nintendo ds games (duh) the slot wherin you insert the ds game is called slot 1. Slot 2 is on the bottum part of the ds and thats where you insert your gba games

Slot 1--> Nintendo ds games
-smal

Slot 2--> Gameboy advance games
-big

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slot 1:

slide4_440.jpg

Slot 2:

slide5_440.jpg

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normal DS are not sold anywhere new anymore.
the DS lite has more backlight brightnesses, a longer battery life, the screens have higher contrast ratio (blacks are darker, whites are lighter) and a more ergonomic stylus.
However, the original ds is almost damn near indestructable. I've thrown mine on the floor and stepped on it to show my friends. (Don't do this excessively)

L

lousk

OP
Thanks a lot for all of your information.
It look like I'm going to go for a new NDS lite.

I do have another question, I'd like your inputs as well.

After reading so much information from this great forum, I began toward the DS & GBA 8Gbit EZFLASH 3 DEV KIT, I believe I can use it on the GBA machine as well as NDS lite in slot2 - correct? (when and I buy it).

In order to load and play roms designed for the NDS (slot1) would I need another flash card? and if so, which single flash card would I need in order to load both, the GBA AND NDS roms, or this card doesn't exist?
I'm I better of buying 2 separate cards?

Thank you again.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IF you're getting a Lite and want to play NDS and GBA roms, your best bet would probably be the M3 Lite, EZ Flash 4 Deluxe Lite, or G6 lite. I'd sugget Supercard but the GBA compatibility on it sucks.
The main advantage of getting a slot-1 card to play roms is that you don't have to patch the rom on your computer before it will work on the flashcart.
If you get a slot-1 card for NDS and a slot-2 M3/G6 cart for GBA, you can use the DS Opra browser rom from your slot-1, using the slot-2 cart as the ram pack that is needed. Currently you cannot do that with the EZ4 in slot-2.
I suggest getting a "lite" cart because it will fit flush in your NDS Lite's slot-2, unlike something like the EZ3. this means that it is smaller than a normal GBA cart, but there are extra cases that come with the cart/you can buy for the cart to make it a GBA size.

hope this helps
biggrin.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
A can get phat DS's easily. I see them in major stores in melbourne all the time! no-one wants to buy them, that's why!

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I own a DS Phat, and I love it. The buttons on the DS Lite are too small for my fingers.

I personally have an M3 Perfect Mini-SD adapter = GBA games and optional RAM for Opera.
R4DS Slot-1 w/ Japan Kingston = DS Games and Opera Browser!
smile.gif

I think they work really good together.

Maybe you could try an M3 Lite ~ $70-80 USD and an R4DS ~ $35 USD and then 2 Kingston Japan ~ $25 USD.

Hope that helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @Xdqwerty nah m8, if either of us is, it's me