What is slot-1 and slot-2?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lousk, Apr 26, 2007.

Apr 26, 2007

What is slot-1 and slot-2? by lousk at 2:15 PM (1,891 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. lousk
    OP

lousk Newbie

I don't own a DS, but I'm looking into buying one soon and I don't know wich one to buy.
    Please can you tell me the difference between slot1 and slot-2, and when to use either one.
    What's the main difference between DS and DS lite, and the main advantage?
    I checked NXntendo's website, but I couldn't gather the information that I need.

Your help is always appreciated.

2. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    slot 1 = DS catridge slot
    slot 2 = gba catridge slot

DS lite is lighter smaller and brighter than normal DS both slots do the same thing except some slot 2 can have memory in order for you to use a web browser with wifi

3. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    The ds has the possibility to play gamboyadvance and nintendo ds games (duh) the slot wherin you insert the ds game is called slot 1. Slot 2 is on the bottum part of the ds and thats where you insert your gba games

Slot 1--> Nintendo ds games
    -smal

Slot 2--> Gameboy advance games
    -big

4. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    The bigger DS is ugly as hell. Get a ds lite.

5. Regiiko

Member Regiiko GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Slot 1:

[​IMG]

Slot 2:

[​IMG]

6. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Normal DS are not sold anywhere new anymore.
    the DS lite has more backlight brightnesses, a longer battery life, the screens have higher contrast ratio (blacks are darker, whites are lighter) and a more ergonomic stylus.
    However, the original ds is almost damn near indestructable. I've thrown mine on the floor and stepped on it to show my friends. (Don't do this excessively)

7. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    It might be possible to find an old style DS, but it's still rare in retail.

8. lousk
    OP

lousk Newbie

Thanks a lot for all of your information.
    It look like I'm going to go for a new NDS lite.

I do have another question, I'd like your inputs as well.

After reading so much information from this great forum, I began toward the DS & GBA 8Gbit EZFLASH 3 DEV KIT, I believe I can use it on the GBA machine as well as NDS lite in slot2 - correct? (when and I buy it).

In order to load and play roms designed for the NDS (slot1) would I need another flash card? and if so, which single flash card would I need in order to load both, the GBA AND NDS roms, or this card doesn't exist?
    I'm I better of buying 2 separate cards?

Thank you again.

9. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    IF you're getting a Lite and want to play NDS and GBA roms, your best bet would probably be the M3 Lite, EZ Flash 4 Deluxe Lite, or G6 lite. I'd sugget Supercard but the GBA compatibility on it sucks.
    The main advantage of getting a slot-1 card to play roms is that you don't have to patch the rom on your computer before it will work on the flashcart.
    If you get a slot-1 card for NDS and a slot-2 M3/G6 cart for GBA, you can use the DS Opra browser rom from your slot-1, using the slot-2 cart as the ram pack that is needed. Currently you cannot do that with the EZ4 in slot-2.
    I suggest getting a "lite" cart because it will fit flush in your NDS Lite's slot-2, unlike something like the EZ3. this means that it is smaller than a normal GBA cart, but there are extra cases that come with the cart/you can buy for the cart to make it a GBA size.

hope this helps [​IMG]

10. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    A can get phat DS's easily. I see them in major stores in melbourne all the time! no-one wants to buy them, that's why!

11. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I own a DS Phat, and I love it. The buttons on the DS Lite are too small for my fingers.

I personally have an M3 Perfect Mini-SD adapter = GBA games and optional RAM for Opera.
    R4DS Slot-1 w/ Japan Kingston = DS Games and Opera Browser! [​IMG]

I think they work really good together.

Maybe you could try an M3 Lite ~ $70-80 USD and an R4DS ~ $35 USD and then 2 Kingston Japan ~ $25 USD.

Hope that helps.

12. lousk
    OP

lousk Newbie