WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
sysNAND patching and redNAND inb4
So no fw.img equals no CFW? What is the meaning of this then?
a fw.img on your sd card when holding A and holding B will send you back into the system menu which will get full signature and region patching and support this ftpiiu-everywhere version; Haxchi comes with its own sysnand CFW included.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
So no fw.img equals no CFW? What is the meaning of this then?
So,
Mocha, CBHC CFW (Haxchi CFW) = patching, legal to share
fw.img = patching, illegal to share

Wii U uses a fw.img for loading the OS, with CFW Booter you replace that fw.img in the RAM with a patched one (I think)

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So,
Mocha, CBHC CFW (Haxchi CFW) = patching, legal to share
fw.img = patching, illegal to share

Wii U uses a fw.img for loading the OS, with CFW Booter you replace that fw.img in the RAM with a patched one (I think)
I see. So a fw.img is actually not needed unless you want to customize your CFW (CCFW)?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the fw.img was the previous method to do CFW.
You extract the original fw.img from NUS/Console, apply different patches to the file using a devkit and compilation script, and load that file.

now the same patches are applied on the console, you don't need to manually patch a file.
you run Haxchi, or Mocha, and the homebrew apply the exact same patches that you would have applied on the fw.img, except you don't need to extract+compile yourself.

There is still the ability to load fw.img with Haxchi or CBHC, but it's not really useful for end users.
like you said, it's more for developers who want to add new patches, or maybe "escape" a semi-brick console by loading the original fw.img from SD.
I guess developers could even work with Haxchi or mocha if they want to try new patches. fw.img method will probably be not used anymore.

Last edited by Cyan,

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i noticed that for lodiine there is a hack to turn off the gamepad screen when playing. is there a way to implement something similar without lodiine? it's my biggest pet peeve about the wii u

gutoblauth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, the CBHC replaces Haxchi app and uses that app on the autoboot?
Let's say the app brokes for some reason (Like I saw people saying that happened with the Haxchi), then it will brick? Did someone got their Wii U bricked doing this or is just hypothetically speaking that it bricks?

hsdubb19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the cheapest game I can buy for this exploit? I have a $5.01 Balance.

I went through half the list. Brain Age: Train your brain in minutes a day is $6.99

The rest were $9.99

Last edited by hsdubb19,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the cheapest game I can buy for this exploit? I have a $5.01 Balance.
I went through half the list. Brain Age: Train your brain in minutes a day is $6.99. The rest were $9.99
If you go into eShop, scroll down, and check DS, you'll see only the DS games. You can quickly see that 6.99 is the best you'll do right now. They did have Kirby Mass Attack at Christmas time for $5.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, the CBHC replaces Haxchi app and uses that app on the autoboot?
Let's say the app brokes for some reason (Like I saw people saying that happened with the Haxchi), then it will brick? Did someone got their Wii U bricked doing this or is just hypothetically speaking that it bricks?
The app can't brick itself for "some reason".
if it bricks, it's caused by the user interaction, doing something he shouldn't.

And it's not hypothetical, here is a list of known users who bricked their Wiiu, and the reason :
http://www.wiiubru.com/rip/

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Let's say a thing, corrupted CBHC can't brick. It can be recovered without hardmod, boot1 allows to load signed recovery images
So, maybe Nintendo messed up with RSA sig checks and we can load our recover images

(At 33C3 naehrwert said that they found a bug on boot1 so... maybe is this, who knows)

BTW, not sure about this but cafe devkit should contain a recovery.img

Last edited by C0mm4nd_,

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm pretty sure I made my NNID before June 2014 but for some reason brain age isnt free :(

I just registered a NNID that I made back in 2012 and brain age is not free in that NNID, Correct me if im doing anything wrong.

Last edited by Duckling,
Reactions: Mikaru

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm pretty sure I made my NNID before June 2014 but for some reason brain age isnt free :(

I just registered a NNID that I made back in 2012 and brain age is not free in that NNID, Correct me if im doing anything wrong.

I believe this is only for Europe.

invch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If I selec "Boot System menu with CFW features", can I remove the SD Card with the system running?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
as long as you don't use Redirected NAND, you can remove the SD card.
if you use NAND redirection, which means the console is using the SD card as system memory, you should NEVER remove the SD card or it will be like removing NAND !

RedNAND is an option of Mocha, so as long as you don't use Mocha or redNAND you don't have to worry.
Though, you can still require the SD card for different things, like booting the homebrew launcher, or any other homebrew located on your card. so you can eject/reinsert it while using the console, but it's better to keep using a card (just in case you wanted to remove it and stop using SD card completely)

using "boot sysmenu" does not require the SD card to patch the system.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1