PS1/2 What is currently possible with a PS3?

connor_walsh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive got an idea for playing ps3 backups (probally already bin suggested) if some1 make a linux that can accsess the ps3 gaming hardware then make a ps3 emu to run backups ?
biggrin.gif

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
connor_walsh said:
ive got an idea for playing ps3 backups (probally already bin suggested) if some1 make a linux that can accsess the ps3 gaming hardware then make a ps3 emu to run backups ?
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, no. Linux has restricted access to the hardware acceleration in the RSX. :/

C

CasperH

Dead End said:
I have some Questions...

1.Where can i find a PS3 that plays PS2 Games?
You can only find them second hand as they are not in production anymore.
2. Is PS3 Slim Currently Hackable?
Just as much as the other versions so no
---If So can it be hacked to Play PS2 Games?
As of now, no

PS3 Home Questions
-Are there any Free Clothing Items?
Yes, there are enough in Threads
---What are and are not Free(Catagories)
Well, almost every category has free items.
-Can you Change your Avatar's Height?
Not sure about this one.

How do you Hack a PS3 slim(if Hackable)
Not possible.
Answers in bold

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anything that the ps3 doesn't play dealing with media can be streamed to it using ps3 media server its really good if you have at least a dual core pc
the ps2 backups from usb i think all you need is a swapmagic or some other way to run elf files haven't really looked into it cause i have a fat that isn't ps2 compatible

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
blitzer320 said:
anything that the ps3 doesn't play dealing with media can be streamed to it using ps3 media server its really good if you have at least a dual core pc
I beg to differ. I have a quad-core and the streaming is terrible.

You need a high-speed modem for a good stream. Otherwise it's mega-choppy. :/

C

CasperH

blitzer320 said:
the ps2 backups from usb i think all you need is a swapmagic or some other way to run elf files haven't really looked into it cause i have a fat that isn't ps2 compatible
PS2 ISO loading is only possible with consoles with the emotion chip (only US an JP, EU has software emulation)

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turtle said:
blitzer320 said:

the modem speed means nothing unless your using wifi cause your streaming it though the network not over the internet i can stream without internet connected into my router and just the ps3 and pc connected so modem has nothing to do with it with ps3 media server now if your thinking about the psp and pimpstreamer than yeah thats choppy google ps3 media server and try that

CasperH said:
QUOTE(blitzer320 @ Jan 2 2010, 10:51 PM)
PS2 ISO loading is only possible with consoles with the emotion chip (only US an JP, EU has software emulation)

hence me saying i have not looked into it because my fat isn't ps2 compatible

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
blitzer320 said:
Turtle said:
blitzer320 said:

the modem speed means nothing unless your using wifi cause your streaming it though the network not over the internet i can stream without internet connected into my router and just the ps3 and pc connected so modem has nothing to do with it with ps3 media server now if your thinking about the psp and pimpstreamer than yeah thats choppy google ps3 media server and try that

Whoops, I ment to say router instead of modem.
Not that it really matters, because a router with a slow transfer rate will still not perform well when streaming media to the PS3. A way to counteract the slow wifi transfer speeds would be to use ethernetting. :/ Which is inconvenient if you have to have wires sprawling across the floor.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Turtle said:
The PS3 supports a variety of formats.
Linky.

QUOTE said:
The following types of files can be played under Video).

•Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile ?AAC LC?
- MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
•MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
•MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
•MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
•MPEG-2 TS?MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3?Dolby Digital?, AAC LC?
•MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
•AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (?-Law)
•AVCHD ?.m2ts / .mts?
•DivX
•WMV
- VC-1?WMA Standard V2?

ok thanks, ive started converting DBZ how do i put it on?? onto a harddrive then connect that to the PS3 and then cut the files onto it?

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
Lubbo said:
ok thanks, ive started converting DBZ how do i put it on?? onto a harddrive then connect that to the PS3 and then cut the files onto it?
Just shove it on a usb dongle, or a hard-drive, or transfer it wirelessly if you have that sort of network setup.

Dead End

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this thread is beecoming like a FAQ lol

i just hack one question

is it possible to use a Wii GH Guitar for a PS3 GH Game?
i dont feel like having a HUGE clutter of instruments for multiple systems
i read on Sony's fORUM that it may be possible.
i just wanna know how...

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
SpaceJump said:
Is it possible to use a PS2-controller with a PS3 by using a PS2-to-USB-adapter? Or maybe another way?
Yes, those do exist.
Just head down to a local games retailer, and they should be there. o_o

QUOTE(Dead End @ Jan 3 2010, 08:11 PM) is it possible to use a Wii GH Guitar for a PS3 GH Game?
No, it's not possible.

honeypa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that the PS3 can only read USB Drives with a maximum of 120GB, and it can't read anything more than that. Furthermore, the only file system that the PS3 supports is FAT32, and that file system(FAT32) can only can have a maximum of 4GB per file. Can someone please confirm if this information is accurate?

DustyVN

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
honeypa said:
I heard that the PS3 can only read USB Drives with a maximum of 120GB, and it can't read anything more than that. Furthermore, the only file system that the PS3 supports is FAT32, and that file system(FAT32) can only can have a maximum of 4GB per file. Can someone please confirm if this information is accurate?
That's not correct, my brother has his 500GB external harddrive connected to his PS3 and it reads and works perfectly.

honeypa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so what file system are you using? FAT 32? And whats the biggest file the FAT 32 can support? 4 GB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If she is green don't eat her!