What is blocked in 3.42?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by WiiCrazy, Sep 14, 2010.

Sep 14, 2010

What is blocked in 3.42? by WiiCrazy at 9:30 PM (1,177 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. WiiCrazy
    OP

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    http://ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php?title=PSJa...rse_Engineering

Reading from above I see that this psjailbreak dongle exploits ps3's check for the original dongle... So is this or the ability to install backup manager blocked in 3.42 firmware? Some people tell that the bug that dongle exploits is inherent to the current hardware revisions of all ps3s... Is that true?

If Sony patched the actual code that this dongle software exploits then how 3.42 compliant dongle will be? This time emulating the actual dongle with all the security stuff? If not than how they can market it offering compatibility with future upgrades? Even if they emulate the actual dongle then there is the possibility of removal of that feature by Sony, isn't it?

edit: forget it, it seems Sony only fixed game os patching part of the exploit... actual hole in LV1 seems to stay intact...
    edit2: oops, complex... it seems the issue is similar to boot2 update released by nintendo.. Sony can update it but it's risky..

2. dronesplitter

Member dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    edit2: oops, complex... it seems the issue is similar to boot2 update released by nintendo.. Sony can update it but it's risky..
    Wow. I'd like some more details on that.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Er, it's a heap overflow exploit, which is caused by a programming oversight.
    You fix it by checking to make sure data is within a certain size before writing, and if it's not you don't write it (or trim it first or whatever).

If Sony patched this by a method other than fixing that, I'd like to hear about it... and I wonder why they'd do it like that when simply adding a check to verify the size before writing would be so much easier.

4. WiiCrazy
    OP

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Btw, I'm not an expert about the subject... I just threw a contemplation through what I read here and there...

Since I'm not 100% sure on any of this, let's summarize it again in questions...

1. is jig/dongle checking code being updateable or not?
    2. (if updateable) is it a risky update like boot2 update on wiis?
    3. what fixed which part in 3.42?

@Rydian : If dongle checking code is not updateable you can still fix the issue by preventing the payload of the exploit... And that's what I'm wondering, did Sony fixed the actual exploit or made it so that dongle's patches on gameos becomes ineffective..

5. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States