Tozarian

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I told a couple people at school it was possible to play burned games on the Wii without installing a chip, they jumped right on me and asked how it could be done. I started explaining the twilight hack, homebrew channel, etc. but being the zombie that they are, they could not grasp the idea and asked me to do it for them they offered 10$. Is this a good price for a softmod? Or should it be more? What do you guys think?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first dont tell them to much or they might do it themselves, I would charge atleast $75 just rip them off big time just make sure to tell them How Hard it is, lay it on thick.lol

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if you charge too much they are going to start calling you as if you were the customer service of their Wii Homebrew things, 15 - 20 dollars is OK, if they tell you something like hey it doesn't work, you can say "....well, what you were expecting for such price..."
laugh.gif

and just install them the cIOS and the backup channel, don't do the softmii of any other complicated and riskii modification, or you'll regret the day you did this to other Wii, when they try to update/format/whatever...!!
biggrin.gif

Tozarian

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the advice guys, first guy I'll just charge 10 cuz hes my friend... Everyone else I'll charge 15-25. Ill also make it a minimal install, just the backup channel and maybe throw in a virtual console game (they probobly don't know what the fuck a WAD is). Thanks again.

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone should soft mod their own wiis without the knowledge you acquire from researching about soft mods you WILL brick it...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
it is not a payment, it is more like a tip, so forget about HomebreWare, they can do it, they just prefer (as the lazy people they are) Pay-to-Get

getrehl

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I usually charge $30. I only charge for my time to have learned what to do and actually modding the system. Most people just want a quick easy way out and don't want to really learn. Their loss not mine. I will also back up any games for them for $5. As always this is at their own risk. I personally also recommend not updating and let them know if they do I'm not responsible.

I think this is a little different than HomeBreWare in that they are receiving their system modded for them. If I'm not mistaken those other people just charge for the already free tools to do the modding.

-edit- Ether, I think you have the wrong idea here. Again this is people not wanting to learn. They bring me their original, I dump and burn it. I'm not helping anyone distribute pirated material. If they choose to pirate that is on them.

cyanide64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
charge people? Damn i must be doing it wrong. If you're gonna charge them you should donate to the wonderful people who make it possible to supplement you're income with their hard work.
grog.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
getrehl said:
I usually charge $30. I only charge for my time to have learned what to do and actually modding the system. Most people just want a quick easy way out and don't want to really learn. Their loss not mine. I will also back up any games for them for $5. As always this is at their own risk. I personally also recommend not updating and let them know if they do I'm not responsible.

I think this is a little different than HomeBreWare in that they are receiving their system modded for them. If I'm not mistaken those other people just charge for the already free tools to do the modding.

Do you live in México by any chance
laugh.gif
that is what a backup with the box and cover cost here, and that my friend could lead to jail for sure, be carefull

QUOTEcharge people? Damn i must be doing it wrong. If you're gonna charge them you should donate to the wonderful people who make it possible
to supplement you're income with their hard work.

This would be great to do if you're receiving money from friends...!!!
smile.gif

Gunfreak11

Trophies
Website
teamvierling.com
XP
Country
United States
Ive modded a friends wii, but with morals. I told him that most people already have access to the materials. I told him that they were free tools, and the only reason im charging you is 10$ for the sd card (2gb) and 5$ for my time. I told him the basics of maintaining the system and such of how no one is responsible. I informed his parents of this (Theyve known me for 2 years now) and they agreed. I modded it and they simply said thanks, and gave me an extra 10$ for explaining everything in depth XD. It was nice to help em out though, you know? Its just an awesome feeling when you earn money by doing your skill set. If work is anything like this, then im going to embrace it
smile.gif

cactusjack901

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I mostly mod PSPs instead of Wiis, and I usually do it for free, but on occasion I have to charge because I need money, and when I do, I make it very clear that I am charging for my time, and they are not paying for the hacks.

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't disagree more with this thread.

If the person isn't willing to understand and do it himself they shouldn't have the hacks. the backup loader is a great thing but if the person doesn't, or isn't willing to understand then its going to cause problems down the road.

Even if someone was willing to pay me money to install it for them id say no simply because i don't want them coming after me if they brick it. I also like it when people actually buy the games instead of downloading everything.
hate2.gif

Just my 2 cents
lecture.gif

cactusjack901

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can agree with that Kylsav, that's also why I tell them I won't help them after I hack it, if they want to know how to actually USE the hacks, that's their problem. I also try to get them to do it themselves first, but there are some people who pester me endlessly, so I give in, but I won't teach them how to use it (see: everybody)

john25usa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol i find it funny how almost nobody cares about homebrew, but when psp custom firmware and the wii backup launcher come out they instantly change their mind. ive installed homebrew on a few friend's wiis for free, although one of them ended up with a broken bed. I'd say you should make it clear that they are paying for installation and not the loader, cios files ect. i think you should charge $20-$30 for it. also give a sheet of paper with a few useful links like the backup loader compatability list and info like dont upgrade and use bad quality burns/media, dont burn at 2X it gives a crappy burn quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1