What is a good choice to charge people for softmodding their Wii's

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tozarian, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Tozarian
    OP

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    When I told a couple people at school it was possible to play burned games on the Wii without installing a chip, they jumped right on me and asked how it could be done. I started explaining the twilight hack, homebrew channel, etc. but being the zombie that they are, they could not grasp the idea and asked me to do it for them they offered 10$. Is this a good price for a softmod? Or should it be more? What do you guys think?

2. xDarkElement

Member xDarkElement GBAtemp Regular

United States
    haha yeah, im gonna start charging services at my school too once bootmii comes out. I would charge 10-20$

3. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    first dont tell them to much or they might do it themselves, I would charge atleast $75 just rip them off big time just make sure to tell them How Hard it is, lay it on thick.lol

4. alexkapi12

Newcomer alexkapi12 Advanced Member

Canada
    In small print:

5. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Also make sure they understand that updating is a bad idea.

6. kai445

Member kai445 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Charge $25... at least.

7. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    at least 25 for the hours YOU spent learning..

8. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    if you charge too much they are going to start calling you as if you were the customer service of their Wii Homebrew things, 15 - 20 dollars is OK, if they tell you something like hey it doesn't work, you can say "....well, what you were expecting for such price..." [​IMG]

and just install them the cIOS and the backup channel, don't do the softmii of any other complicated and riskii modification, or you'll regret the day you did this to other Wii, when they try to update/format/whatever...!! [​IMG]

9. Tozarian
    OP

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thanks for all the advice guys, first guy I'll just charge 10 cuz hes my friend... Everyone else I'll charge 15-25. Ill also make it a minimal install, just the backup channel and maybe throw in a virtual console game (they probobly don't know what the fuck a WAD is). Thanks again.

10. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, they offered to pay you so whatever. Still, it's beginning to sound a lot like HombreWare in here.

11. cthg

Member cthg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think everyone should soft mod their own wiis without the knowledge you acquire from researching about soft mods you WILL brick it...

12. ether2802

Mexico
    it is not a payment, it is more like a tip, so forget about HomebreWare, they can do it, they just prefer (as the lazy people they are) Pay-to-Get

13. getrehl

Newcomer getrehl Advanced Member

United States
    I usually charge $30. I only charge for my time to have learned what to do and actually modding the system. Most people just want a quick easy way out and don't want to really learn. Their loss not mine. I will also back up any games for them for $5. As always this is at their own risk. I personally also recommend not updating and let them know if they do I'm not responsible.

I think this is a little different than HomeBreWare in that they are receiving their system modded for them. If I'm not mistaken those other people just charge for the already free tools to do the modding.

-edit- Ether, I think you have the wrong idea here. Again this is people not wanting to learn. They bring me their original, I dump and burn it. I'm not helping anyone distribute pirated material. If they choose to pirate that is on them.

14. cyanide64

Newcomer cyanide64 Member

Canada
    charge people? Damn i must be doing it wrong. If you're gonna charge them you should donate to the wonderful people who make it possible to supplement you're income with their hard work. [​IMG]

15. ether2802

Mexico
    This would be great to do if you're receiving money from friends...!!! [​IMG]

16. Gunfreak11

Member Gunfreak11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ive modded a friends wii, but with morals. I told him that most people already have access to the materials. I told him that they were free tools, and the only reason im charging you is 10$ for the sd card (2gb) and 5$ for my time. I told him the basics of maintaining the system and such of how no one is responsible. I informed his parents of this (Theyve known me for 2 years now) and they agreed. I modded it and they simply said thanks, and gave me an extra 10$ for explaining everything in depth XD. It was nice to help em out though, you know? Its just an awesome feeling when you earn money by doing your skill set. If work is anything like this, then im going to embrace it [​IMG]

17. cactusjack901

Newcomer cactusjack901 Advanced Member

United States
    yeah, I mostly mod PSPs instead of Wiis, and I usually do it for free, but on occasion I have to charge because I need money, and when I do, I make it very clear that I am charging for my time, and they are not paying for the hacks.

18. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I couldn't disagree more with this thread.

If the person isn't willing to understand and do it himself they shouldn't have the hacks. the backup loader is a great thing but if the person doesn't, or isn't willing to understand then its going to cause problems down the road.

Even if someone was willing to pay me money to install it for them id say no simply because i don't want them coming after me if they brick it. I also like it when people actually buy the games instead of downloading everything. [​IMG]

Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

19. cactusjack901

Newcomer cactusjack901 Advanced Member

United States
    I can agree with that Kylsav, that's also why I tell them I won't help them after I hack it, if they want to know how to actually USE the hacks, that's their problem. I also try to get them to do it themselves first, but there are some people who pester me endlessly, so I give in, but I won't teach them how to use it (see: everybody)

20. john25usa

Newcomer john25usa Advanced Member

Australia
    lol i find it funny how almost nobody cares about homebrew, but when psp custom firmware and the wii backup launcher come out they instantly change their mind. ive installed homebrew on a few friend's wiis for free, although one of them ended up with a broken bed. I'd say you should make it clear that they are paying for installation and not the loader, cios files ect. i think you should charge $20-$30 for it. also give a sheet of paper with a few useful links like the backup loader compatability list and info like dont upgrade and use bad quality burns/media, dont burn at 2X it gives a crappy burn quality.