Hardware What "Intel CORE" CPU should i get?

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello guys!~

Please take your time to read everything before replying so i don't explain whats already here again pretty please~
But if you want extra info or clarification than that's OK!

So to cuts straight to the case!
I have "Intel CORE i5-3470" CPU
Link for CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

It's 3rd generation of "i" processors.
As for real word performance (in my PC), its preforming really well!
I can play many modern game with no big problems, and by big problems i mean it wont bottleneck my GPU or system that much,
but than again it does! but its really playable in most cases.
I tested many modern games such as DooM, Mirrors edge catalyst, GTA5, Resident Evil 7... it does not break a sweat it seems,
but it is under almost full load and sometimes if a game is not well optimized or to demanding or more than ultra settings, or in some
cases high settings, or with some options that are to CPU demanding.

Most noticeable is PCSX2 emulator (the PS2 emulator). I bought new Graphics card, but emulators mostly rely on CPU's power, especially PS2 emu!!
So i'm gonna be emulating obviously and playing PC games, for everything else this PC i have now is pretty darn good, even with my old GPU it was good,
but i wanted to upgrade for games obviously!~
This is my new GPU: "GTX1650 Super OC 4GB" here's the link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N165SOC-4GD#kf

And i also got "Kingston HyperX" 8GB of RAM,

but MoBo is older, like 2011 older...
It's this one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2PV-rev-20/support#support-dl-driver

So anyway, the CPU that i have now, the i5-3470 i bought it used and it was dirt cheap..like really cheap! I mean the guy that sells PC parts
told me that they are not expensive anyway, so i got real boost from my previous Pentium processor with 2 cores lol...i bought it with the MoBo in 2011 cause it was cheap back than...

So ANYWAY....i want to upgrade from present i5-3470 to some better CPU. The best one i can get that my present mobo can accept is 3rd generation i7 processor, the "i7-3770" and "i7-3770S".

But i want to move from 3rd generation!
Now i'm not sure if i7-3770/i7-3770S will have some noticeable real-world impact on better performance in gaming over my present i5-3470 CPU. Can you tell please? Or you recommend younger gen, at least 4... ?

I mean they are both 3rd generation of INTEL's "Core i" processors... I'm asking because 3rd gen CPU's are much cheaper and budget is limited for me and TBH that's the main reason i want to consult
here among other things regarding CPU...cause i'm on a tight budget so i want good "bang-for-a-buck!", how Americans say... and used one, i certainly wont be buying new CPU since they will cost
enormous amount of money and i cant find older gens to be cheaper...but again used ones are significantly cheaper anyway....

So NOT considering generation 1, 2 and even 3 (perhaps), what are the best gen 4,5,6,7,8,9 "Core i" gaming CPU's in your opinion that can STILL be used on modern games and
emulators and to be bought cheap, used, not new ofc.

I mean what would you choose when you have little money to give but want the best performance and no bottlenecks?

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading all! :)

Last edited by MetoMeto,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So condensing that down.

You found yourself CPU bound by some things (most notably PS2 emulation). I don't think said PS2 emulation is going to find itself heading for optimisation any time soon so buy a beefier CPU is the main thing going to get that number up for you.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2PV-rev-20/support#support-cpu
I will have to assume that is current and up to date.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
Is your current one.
Intel's ark is not really good for benchmarks though so best to find a workable one of those.

That is a fairly high clocked later stage i5.

I don't think we have any kind of custom BIOS and modding like we saw back in the day for the core2 stuff where people were taking server chips (old server stuff goes for next to nothing so was quite cheap compared to similar performance desktop offerings) and adapting them for desktop use when the highest end desktop chips shot up in price. Nor is overclocking likely to get you much here (not to mention I don't think the motherboard supports it).

From the list then only things higher clocked even notionally better (no i3, Celeron or Pentium of the same generation is going to beat that) are
Intel Core i7-3770K 3‎.50GHz
Intel Core i7-3770 3‎.40GHz
Intel Core i7-3770S 3‎.10GHz
Intel Core i7-3770T 2‎.50GHz
Intel Core i5-3570 3‎.40GHz
Intel Core i5-3570K 3‎.40GHz
Intel Core i5-3570S 3‎.10GHz
Intel Core i5-3570T 2‎.30GHz
Intel Core i5-3550S 3‎.00GHz
Intel Core i5-3550 3‎.30GHz
Intel Core i5-3475S 2‎.90GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1275 3‎.40GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1245 3‎.30GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1235 3‎.20GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1225 3‎.10GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1290 3‎.60GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1280 3‎.50GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1270 3‎.40GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1240 3‎.30GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1230 3‎.20GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1220L 2‎.20GHz
Intel Xeon E3-1220 3‎.10GHz

The i5 stuff is going to be marginal at best. The best i5 there ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-3570-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html ) has the same cores, same threads, same capabilities, same instructions... just fractionally faster. Some others there have marginal differences in the onboard graphics but you have a graphics card so who cares there.

This then leaves Xeon (though I will have to check memory there -- it supports ECC and presumably so does the motherboard but whether it requires it is a different matter) and i7 family as having some kind of useful upgrade.

i5 vs i7
This can vary a bit. For most things that are not synthetic benchmarks though then it gets tricky to compare.
Going with the best on that list of the Core i7-3770
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7-3770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html
More threads, a bit more cache, higher clock speed.
Threads is not pointless in all circumstances but is in most. You still have the same number of physical things crunching data but it can swap out between them if you are doing many things at once or have a program designed to handle it (mostly a handful of video encoders and compression applications, and even then it is debatable outside of a handful of use cases).
Cache can matter (a cache miss will see you wait a bit to use a slower cache/system memory). I can think of how emulation might make use of threading but I don't know that it is the case here.

Passmark (a synthetic test)
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3470-vs-Intel-i7-3770K/822vs2

Game debate (mix of synthetic and real world)
https://www.game-debate.com/cpu/ind...0 3.2GHz-vs-Intel Core i7-3770K 4-Core 3.5GHz

If we want to wind in the Xeon then
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...2-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1290-V2/822vs2vs1193vs1774

The Xeon might then be a slightly pokier CPU by some metrics than the i7 but only marginally. If you don't have a nice SSD then anything is likely to be a moot point. The beefier Xeon of the pair there also runs hotter and gobbles more power.

Cost wise though the Xeons do seem to be going for less than the i7 on UK Ebay buy it now (potentially less than half the price of the £120 i7). As that is the tippy top i7 of that vintage then you tend to get a price bump for those to account for people wanting a quick upgrade and comparing it to new machine cost vs maybe one or two models down (though at that point you are almost back where you started, maybe just with some more threads). However I am too lazy to go checking prices for everything there and you have the list of options above to copy and paste from.
Assuming things are comparable wherever you are at then that is going to be substantially less than upgrading a refurb machine, or buying an old server/workstation, though probably still not likely to yield much.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Well you can ignore my motherboard, i just posted it as a reference to what i currently have and as an extra info...if its nessesery id buy another mobo for 1151.

Anyway, thats quite informative, im reading it now, thanks!

Im kinda not sure about SSD's they seems unrelieble compared to HDD's whan it comes to constant ride and write of date, deleting large amount of tada and puting againg....

I was thinking about using it only for operating system and rerouting desktop and instalations to other HDD, but it will still write some data. I actually had one and it just diesd. HDD's never failed me in years.

Well tbh i want my CPU to consume less power and to be more efficient at what it does, thus generating less heat and in return less fan spin = less noise. Thats why i intend to buy Noctua fan for it, some bigger one but im still not sure about it, looking what would be best for a price...
Also i wouldnt like to buy S or T cpu's or K for that matter cause i wont overclock anyway and cpu limiting its own power wont do me good i presume, like T cpu's do. I guess thats what they do...

Well you dont need to get me prices thats ok, i dont even buy online or from amazon or whatever.

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Knowing your actual budget would be helpful, as upgrading from the point you're at may not be super helpful.

As to whether the i7 3770 would bump performance, probably not. Single threaded performance is the most important thing for games still (emulation included, though that's slowly changing these days), so staying in the same generation isn't going to give you any big performance boost that'd be worth the ~$100 you need to spend. If you did more than gaming, like production work that used more threads, then you would see a good performance boost in those, but otherwise I wouldn't bother upgrading to an i7 (there's a reason the mantra "An i5 is good enough for gaming" existed for some 10 years :P)

But jumping to the next probably won't net you much improvement either, as Intel's single threaded performance hasn't really changed much since Ivy Bridge. You'd have to jump to around Skylake before you'd see any meaningful improvement (~20%, give or take), at which point you'd also have to pick up a new motherboard and new RAM as well so it'd likely be a bit out of your budget

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I have no budget not a fixed one, im considering all options.
I might buy pricier CPU but im generally looking for some cheap old gen cpu that i dont spend a lot of money. I bought my curent CPU for 30 euro used, but i know newer gen will cost more. Right now im on a hunt for information, opinions so i can make decision what amount of money will be good to spend.

But your prices wouldnt be the same as mine, so it wouldnt matter anyway, cause i can get some things for cheap here where i live. But in general i wouldnt go above 200 euro for used one and thats super expensive, but there, i set a limit.

And as i said, it dont need to be 1155, it can be 1151 socked. But i do want "Intel Core" cpu's but considering options...

As for the CPU... i read everywhere what thread can actually decrease FPS in games!
I watched some test videos comparint, but than again i guess extra threads can be disabled in bios so its not a big deal. I also heard that More cores can be better for heat, they generate less heat, and that for gaming GHz actually matter the most! Thats actually why i want a CPU that has 4 or more real cores and 4 logical ones and more GHZ than my current...but idk if my is already good in that regard...so perhaps more cores is better...real ones i mean.

So you say Generation actually matters? I was actually thinking 5th or 6th gen of core cpus... will same specs but 2 gen younger preforme better at games?

As i said i have no budget and price i mentioned is for CPU, but price mean nothing cause i can get things cheap here...prices are not the same as for you for example.

Well i can get 1151 mobo and i was thinking about upgrading a RAM to 16GB anyway, just not now...actually te more i wait the cheaper it gets :P

And yeah, this PC IS good for gaming, i just want it to be a bit smoother and a bit better, noting major, just smoother experience overall cause i can notice some bottlenecks and zreezes, cpu being use 98% etc, RAM being used almost completly in CITRA...

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't waste your money on a Core i7 6700 (non-K), I did and the performance sucked. Upgraded to an AMD 3800X, and I've never been happier. Twice the cores, twice the performance, and only $40 more than I paid for the intel chip in 2016. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but stay away from the 6700, it SUCKS as far as intel chips go. Stick with 9th or 10th gen, and buy used for sure.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Don't waste your money on a Core i7 6700 (non-K), I did and the performance sucked. Upgraded to an AMD 3800X, and I've never been happier. Twice the cores, twice the performance, and only $40 more than I paid for the intel chip in 2016. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but stay away from the 6700, it SUCKS as far as intel chips go. Stick with 9th or 10th gen, and buy used for sure.
Performance suck compared to my present CPU i5-3470?
Also i heard 7 gen and forward arent compatible with Windows 7.... also they are very expensive

Yeah i was thinking about AMD but idk...it seems intel is more popular and supported overall and idk how well nVidia and AMD go together tbh...

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
In that case, if you want a meaningful upgrade that will boost performance a noticeable amount, you'll need to jump to at least Skylake for Intel (AKA 6th gen or higher) or any of AMD's Zen CPUs (1000, 2000, or 3000 series), which means having to dump money into DDR4 as well as a new motherboard, which means $$$$. Staying within 3rd-4th gen won't net you any real benefit to things like emulators, so you should look at going a bit higher with your options.

If you can afford it, I would recommend trying to find a Ryzen 3 3300x and pairing it with a cheap b450 motherboard, you'll probably spend around €250 give or take for just the motherboard and CPU, and then another €50 or so for 16GB of RAM. It's the absolute best you can do performance wise while keeping to a "smaller" budget. If you wait for AMD's 5000 series CPUs that are releasing next month, you might be able to find cheaper prices for a 3000 series CPU when everyone dumps them to upgrade.

As for Intel being more popular, not anymore. AMD's Ryzen series caught up to Intel performance-wise with the 3000 series, and is now ahead of Intel with 5000 series.

As for AMD "working with Nvidia", it works just fine, there's literally 0 difference using AMD or Intel with your GPU.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
My curent RAM is DDR4.

Anyway as i said earlier... first of all thanks for info it helps a lot!
So as for what i said earlier i dot really need that much of a boost!

Tbh my PC works wonderfully and im really happy (except i want to change some fans to make it quieter and cooler..i running at lover temps).

I had 4GB of RAM and 8GB really helped me a lot for overall experience to be more smoother and better overall. I noticed for example CEMU uses almost all of my ram so extra 4 of 8 would certanly benefit and im not sure if getting DDR4 mobo will help also even if i DONT upgrade the ram but it certanly doesnt hurt to have more ram memory anyway.

As for the CPU goes, i really dont need some sagnificant boost, just a little more kick, a but better than where it is now with not much investment. now if you say that what i already have is good enough than thats fine but will i7 not make any noticable differente even if that means ess stuttering, less bottlenecking, less visible freezes etc.
So im not trying to make BETTER PC than i currently have just to boost it a but so i can notice the boost a bit, cause it already works great, i just wanted it to work more efficient, cooler and not at 98% use when in some heawy apps.

Also i read about i5 CPU's that their Tcase is 65 celsius, but on i7 i see 105 or something so they are more resiliant i presume or just get hotter. Also newer CPUs are smaller. My curent is 22nm and gen 5-6 are 14 if im not mistaken. I read that that has significant impact on power consumption, heat output and mainly performance...generally speaking the smaller the better is what i heard...

So....the devil is in the details haha xD

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No, your current RAM is DDR3. The 3470 only works with DDR3, it does not support DDR4 at all.

Also, if you upgrade to a new CPU (higher than an Intel 4000 series anyways) you have to use DDR4, Skylake and higher do not support DDR3. They're completely different standards of RAM, and they're not backwards compatible.

Upgrading to an i7 3770 might help when you're doing a lot of things at once, but you'll likely still hit 100% utilization in games while also consuming more power and pushing more heat.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda stupid imo, for anyone to not get something like an unlocked k series. You say you won't overclock, but for example with my i5 2500k it goes from factory 3.3Ghz to 4.3Ghz with a simple click of a button in the BIOS. That 10-15 fps boost I get in gaming is a good deal. All you need to do is set the multiplier in the BIOS or click the auto cpu & memory overclock button (if the mb's bios has one).

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
No, your current RAM is DDR3. The 3470 only works with DDR3, it does not support DDR4 at all.

Also, if you upgrade to a new CPU (higher than an Intel 4000 series anyways) you have to use DDR4, Skylake and higher do not support DDR3. They're completely different standards of RAM, and they're not backwards compatible.

Upgrading to an i7 3770 might help when you're doing a lot of things at once, but you'll likely still hit 100% utilization in games while also consuming more power and pushing more heat.
Why is utilization 100% (though i never hit 100 but 98 at most but i get the idea.)
And what do you mean do not support? A PC wont turn on if i have DDR3 memory with 5th gen cpu?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

only read the title. Dont buy. Just look at AMD lol. They just showed their new 5000 series which completly destroys intel.
Thats ok x)

How about ddr3 compatibility and pricing?

It's kinda stupid imo, for anyone to not get something like an unlocked k series. You say you won't overclock, but for example with my i5 2500k it goes from factory 3.3Ghz to 4.3Ghz with a simple click of a button in the BIOS. That 10-15 fps boost I get in gaming is a good deal. All you need to do is set the multiplier in the BIOS or click the auto cpu & memory overclock button (if the mb's bios has one).
wont that produce heat and constantly runing at unessesary high clock or just in gaming?
I mean my curent cpu does have boost if thats kinda owerclock?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First I should probably stick up for SSDs. Originally they were less than stellar but today... I would not build a machine without one and trust my data as much as I trust any drive (there is a reason it is said that data that does not exist in more than one location does not exist). Might have a large spinning rust drive for bulk storage but no OS of mine I intend to use is going to be one one. Do read some reviews of things though.

If you are upgrading motherboards too then that changes what can be done rather dramatically.

If you were playing with a celeron or low clocked i3 then yeah jumping to either your current CPU or a top tier one would be significant. From your current one... less so for most real world applications*.

There are some scenarios where it might be useful -- usually things like you do live video and if the framerate occasionally drops one or two below what you ideally want to output at then you get some overhead (the solution here is have a delay for most people). Same for some aspects of gaming though delay (think high ping) is less ideal.

*video encoding is often looked to for threads. If you are doing simple video encoding and can dodge management issues then yeah. Use any kind of improvement filter for the video, or run into hard drive loading issues (say by trying to read 8 streams of 4k video at once), and pointless.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wont that produce heat and constantly runing at unessesary high clock or just in gaming?

It wouldn't be running constantly at that unless you have it set to do so in your PC's power settings and/or have disabled Intel Speed Step in the BIOS. Although I've had it set to do so for sometimes months on end over the course of the last 9 years on air alone with no heat issues. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 instead of the stock CPU cooler and I don't think you'd ever have to worry about it. Especially since it would only ramp up to that clock when needed (again, unless you set it to purposefully run higher 24/7.)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Performance suck compared to my present CPU i5-3470?
Also i heard 7 gen and forward arent compatible with Windows 7.... also they are very expensive

Yeah i was thinking about AMD but idk...it seems intel is more popular and supported overall and idk how well nVidia and AMD go together tbh...
AMD is whooping Intel's ass right now, lmao! I'm rocking a 3800X, and never thought in a million years I'd go back to team red. But after all the 3000 series hype and benchmark scores over intel, I just had to, and I'm glad I did. They even have good CPUs that are quad-core for about $140! (Ryzen 5 3400G) The 3400G and a B550 board would be a good performance budget build, with some 16GB DDR4 3600 CL14 RAM thrown in there, to keep things snappy.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It wouldn't be running constantly at that unless you have it set to do so in your PC's power settings and/or have disabled Intel Speed Step in the BIOS. Although I've had it set to do so for sometimes months on end over the course of the last 9 years on air alone with no heat issues. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 instead of the stock CPU cooler and I don't think you'd ever have to worry about it. Especially since it would only ramp up to that clock when needed (again, unless you set it to purposefully run higher 24/7.)
i imagine it goes like this: you unlock it in bios, use it normally and only when needed it goes to that frequency, but in normal use not...or am i wrong? So if that is the case than it would have no point in NOT unlock it in bios. I mean it only reaches those frequencies when its needed....right?

AMD is whooping Intel's ass right now, lmao! I'm rocking a 3800X, and never thought in a million years I'd go back to team red. But after all the 3000 series hype and benchmark scores over intel, I just had to, and I'm glad I did. They even have good CPUs that are quad-core for about $140! (Ryzen 5 3400G) The 3400G and a B550 board would be a good performance budget build, with some 16GB DDR4 3600 CL14 RAM thrown in there, to keep things snappy.
Tbh im quite happy with my present build and CPU, but as i said above i dont need it to be THAT much better because than i would need to change up everything in my case...basically to buy a new PC minus the graphics card... i just want to make it a little bit bettter and smoother overall...you know, like ironing the shirt so it is perfect with no wrinkles and soft on touch :)

First I should probably stick up for SSDs. Originally they were less than stellar but today... I would not build a machine without one and trust my data as much as I trust any drive (there is a reason it is said that data that does not exist in more than one location does not exist). Might have a large spinning rust drive for bulk storage but no OS of mine I intend to use is going to be one one. Do read some reviews of things though.

If you are upgrading motherboards too then that changes what can be done rather dramatically.

If you were playing with a celeron or low clocked i3 then yeah jumping to either your current CPU or a top tier one would be significant. From your current one... less so for most real world applications*.

There are some scenarios where it might be useful -- usually things like you do live video and if the framerate occasionally drops one or two below what you ideally want to output at then you get some overhead (the solution here is have a delay for most people). Same for some aspects of gaming though delay (think high ping) is less ideal.

*video encoding is often looked to for threads. If you are doing simple video encoding and can dodge management issues then yeah. Use any kind of improvement filter for the video, or run into hard drive loading issues (say by trying to read 8 streams of 4k video at once), and pointless.
Well my aplications are mainly this: Emulation, Gaming (modern and old-school), Internet (youtube, forums, research), graphicas software such as Sai, Ps, Z-brush... and thats pretty much it....

I once had SSD actually from some brand...cant remember the name and it was good for 3 month, i used it as i usually do (install uninstall :P) and after 3 month it just died with no way to retrive data or use it in any way. So since that day i dont trust an SSD. Also i see them as flash drive and flash drives die. I had many flash drives get corrupted randomly and die or behave weird.... It was 3 years ago or 2...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes drives die and it is usually during the first little burn in time if it is going to be at all.

Similarly I would never accuse a spinning rust drive of being a robust piece of technology, and have had plenty of them die without so much as a warning and then with no means of even having it speak to the host system.

That said you will notice the SSD speed far more than most upgrades you can do to that setup that does not leave you with a fundamentally new machine. Grabbing files, loading things in games, doing anything that touches the drive, doing something while something else needs all the drive access it can...

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Sometimes drives die and it is usually during the first little burn in time if it is going to be at all.

Similarly I would never accuse a spinning rust drive of being a robust piece of technology, and have had plenty of them die without so much as a warning and then with no means of even having it speak to the host system.

That said you will notice the SSD speed far more than most upgrades you can do to that setup that does not leave you with a fundamentally new machine. Grabbing files, loading things in games, doing anything that touches the drive, doing something while something else needs all the drive access it can...

Yes but you can read-write so many times on SSD as i know (and windows do a lot of that even without user afaik) while HDD is virtually limitless, and AFAIK it's not bound to that limitation...until it dies...i mean everything dies even HDD's as you said, and idk how many HDD's you used and waht you do as a hoby or a profession, but in regular use a person (like me for example) uses only one eventually 2 HDD's for files that are stored there and sitting, and one HDD (or if its one a partition) for Windows. So its less likely a new HDD in regular use would die that easy. They are to m experience and understanding more robust and tough, read/write resistant than HDD exactly because of the way they are. I think they are generally on average more reliable and more developed over years.

Only time my HDD's really died was:
A) I unplugged it and messed with it when the machine was ON (it wasn't mine it was my brother's but it die on me so... don't judge, i didn't know)
B) My own HDD died because i bought it on a flee market for a cheap and it was on sun all day...it worked though but for a year and half and than just died suddenly...god knows what they did to it.
C) Again my own HDD malfunctioned, that's 2nd that's mine (i think the board on it died from power surge from a power supply or something, cant really remember anymore...data on it where safe though!).

The guy that repairs PC's said he can replace the board and recover my data.
It was 250GB Maxtor HDD with ATA connector (my first one), but i had nothing important there and since it was old tech (i mean the ATA not SATA), small for modern times (it was more than good back than) and i wanted a 1TB one i just took it apart, took the shiny mirror-like disk (it wasn't rusted lol) and made a wall clock LoL. (i really love those shiny disks, they are so well made and smoothed out to perfection. Even better than my mirror!)

So what i wanted to say is that data was recoverable, the data it self wasn't affected by power surge, only the sensitive board on a HDD.
Any SDD would die instantly imo and with unrecoverable data. IDK but i guess that's the case with SDD's.
Yes they are fast but there is also a compromise, imo, for that speed and taht's the way i see it. So having said that, i would never trust a SDD to keep my data because of that and trust HDD's more. But to be hones they are not THAT slow as people make it out to be, i mean i have this new 7200 RPM and its big usage improvement from my older (not ATA one, that's my first HDD, i had another one after that, but this 7200 RPM is my present one) in games and in usage.

But that being said, i never notice anything better in games while having SSD other than faster loading times (that are even shorter now that i have new graphics card) Before it took me 30 sec. to load any level in crash bandicoot trilogy, but now it takes me 8 sec. !!! not because of HDD but because of a GPU!
I mean i was surprised cause i thought SDD's make better loading time (i mean they do but i thought ONLY them) but as i was saying, yes SDD's do load faster but this HDD i have now is also FAST and i dont mind loadings anyway...and thats only improvement i saw with SDD's except obvious ones like size, quietness etc... but i meant more in usage. Oh and windows starter up like it was just sleeping and not turned off completly... Now i wait 15 sec. with HDD compared with 8... but i don't even notice it tbh.

I mean since i had SDD for those 3 month, i can certanly say that they are LIGHTNING fast and my system behaved like a videogame console or an android phone just SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! i even got spoiled how fast it was, i never thought that a big old PC can BE that fast lol!
But than it just stopped and that was it. I was just deeply dissapointed. And not i am thinking again but about getting some reliable brand and model over speed, cause they are all fast...if nothing they are faster than HDD's by default anyway, but im gonna use it ONLY for system, but even than it would be a drag if something similar happens.

As i said, HDD never disapointed me and i trust them more because of that. Perhaps i have certain prejudice and am biased but those situations and the things i saw made me see it that way..but i AM willing to give it another shot! i just don't trust them for data!

Im not trying to be a advocate for HDD's here, just sharing my experience in hope of conversation cause i really DO want to know all the benefits and opinions about SDD's cause i DO consider of getting one, but this time it DOES matter which one i get and should i wait more since they are still young compared to HDD's!

P.S. By the way you call HDD's a "spinning rusty drive" you must really hate them? :P

Speaking of wich...what SSD brand would you recomend me and a particular model of it as being most reliable and best among its kind?

I didn't understood this part, what you wanted to say?

Sorry but i must point out that while you are a very helpful and informative whenever i have some issue and turn to GBAtemp,
and i love that when speaking to someone, and also you write what i never asked but was thinking! so VERY helpful and thank you for that!
But sometimes.. i am struggling to understand what you meant to say 'cause you write in such a poethic and correct way that i need to stop
and read twice and sometimes i dont understand what you actually meant.

Sorry, it's not you its just that im not a native English speaker so simpler English works best for me in therms of better understanding.
please-understand.jpg

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs