Hacking Question What if i buy an used switch that is banned?

Nastas95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there, as the title says, what would happen if i buy a banned switch console? Would Nintendo unban it if i proove that the switch was banned cause of the old owner actions?

(Sorry, english is not my first language)

Quick Update: Nintendo says "there is no possible way to unban a console once it's been banned"

Last edited by Nastas95,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
even if you buy it without knowing it's banned, they won't unban it either.
If it's banned, play offline and cartridge games instead, or resell it as clearly banned console. lot of people would buy already banned console for offline hacking reasons.
you can also keep it for hacking reason for yourself.

Last edited by Cyan,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The seller has to give you out all the information regarding the sale. If he didn't mention that then he has to take back the item and give you back your money but that can only be done in court since as a consumer you're not protected in the secondhand market

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're buying it used and Nintendo isn't getting any money so they don't care

THis is a foolish position from Nintendo. The console in question was sold legitimately the first time, and now it is in circulation. A new owner is a new opportunity to establish a contractual agreement with a paying customer. Refusing service, even after the console has been returned to factory condition, is foolish of them.

The only danger is that a compromised system will likely have had its cert dumped (which is why it was banned, most likely), and since the cert is not replaceable in the unit (because of locked emmc, hardware specific key baked into the CPU and unchangable, etc---) But that is because nintendo foolishly chose to tie all that together, instead of having them be separate.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not sure why the outcry isn't as bad as when xbox said you can't game share. its the same EXACT premise. possibly because hacking is involved? maybe...

some call it piracy, i consider it game sharing. someone has a copy, they offer for me to play it and i do, since i don't "own" it, im now banned. i guess they are mainly attacking non-legit certs for games and downloads that don't originate from the system, but what happens if Nintendo makes a mistake on their end with the cert detection? how they gonna recover that one?

im for banning online play for the user ID, that makes perfect sense. they don't want to muck up their online environment.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
They will not bother to unban them because *cough* let the neighbour/friend unban it for you *cough*

Or in other words if there is a loophole in the system people will abuse it.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For an exclusively offilne playing, is there any limitation in a banned console?
As I said, the games that ship on cart but require additional downloads. Like Wolfenstein, Banner Saga 3, LA Noire.
You'd either have to acquire full nsp rips of them, or the "DLC/Update" NSP from CDN, that continues all this data.
No problem at the moment, only if they bring down CDN.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean if they did unban a 2nd hand console then they might as well unban all banned consoles b/c ppl would use the same excuse they bought it from someone else...
Kinda defeats the purpose of being banned huh

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Part of the problem is the supposed “flagging” a console then banning at a later date. Say I do whatever with CFW but don’t actually get banned, then restore a clean Nand and sell the console. 6 weeks later ban wave hits and unsuspecting buyer gets a Superban and he did nothing wrong. As the seller how do I know it was caused by my actions and not something he did? Is Nintendo going to arbitrate who caused the ban? (of course not)

Basically the entire used Switch market is tainted.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Nastas95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, short answer is

NO, Nintendo will NEVER unban a console

I was just asking, i'm not going to buy a banned switch and hopefully i won't get banned -i did use eshop while in cfw hekate, didn't buy/download nothing and till today no ban has arrived...

I'm going to write directly to Nintendo just to confirm what we all think

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, short answer is

NO, Nintendo will NEVER unban a console

I was just asking, i'm not going to buy a banned switch and hopefully i won't get banned -i did use eshop while in cfw hekate, didn't buy/download nothing and till today no ban has arrived...

I'm going to write directly to Nintendo just to confirm what we all think
i mean as far as i know, no one here has called ninty to confirm
they are mostly speculations which make sense.
but nothing officially stated by ninty

i mean i would luv to see what they would do if you call acting stupid and said you cant go online after you bought it at a pawn shop or something

Last edited by Don Jon,

Nastas95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

i mean i would luv to see what they would do if you call acting stupid and said you cant go online after you bought it at a pawn shop or something
i sent an email but no response from them... i'll try and call them

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There have been some email response posted on the forum. With the expected reply. Contact who you bought it from and work it out with them.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I pretended to be a 12 year old boy, on his birthday, who had just unwrapped his shiny Switch; all he wanted to do was buy Fortnite bless him. But his Switch was banned! poor kid!!

And so to the Nintendo support chat he did go, to try to find solution with the warm-hearted staff ready to fix his problems.

He got told to f@#k off, alot more politely of course, but f@#k off all the same.

kpEWWvl.jpg

Nintendo will not un-ban. Not even for poor old Bobby on his birthday!

Reactions: nWo and thorasgar

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the used buyer could sue nintendo (a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg shot) if they can provide no wrong doing and that the previous owner is the culpurt who banned it but with no cdn use proving legit use after being sold would be extremely hard if not impossiable then nintendo would make every excuse in the legal dictionary to defend their actions if a case like this was won by the consumer i can see a shitstorm coming

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153