Question What if i buy an used switch that is banned?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nastas95, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Nastas95
    OP

Nastas95 GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2018
    Italy
    Well, I'm Italian.
    Hi there, as the title says, what would happen if i buy a banned switch console? Would Nintendo unban it if i proove that the switch was banned cause of the old owner actions?

(Sorry, english is not my first language)

Quick Update: Nintendo says "there is no possible way to unban a console once it's been banned"

Last edited by Nastas95, Sep 4, 2018
  2. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Nope, if you KNOW it's banned, and you bought it as such, I highly doubt they'd unban your switch. Sorry.

Nastas95 likes this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    even if you buy it without knowing it's banned, they won't unban it either.
    If it's banned, play offline and cartridge games instead, or resell it as clearly banned console. lot of people would buy already banned console for offline hacking reasons.
    you can also keep it for hacking reason for yourself.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 28, 2018
  4. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    You're buying it used and Nintendo isn't getting any money so they don't care

Pluupy, MeAndHax, jarbar3000 and 5 others like this.
  5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    The seller has to give you out all the information regarding the sale. If he didn't mention that then he has to take back the item and give you back your money but that can only be done in court since as a consumer you're not protected in the secondhand market

MeAndHax and ccprodigy like this.
  6. Wierd_w

Wierd_w GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2018
    United States
    THis is a foolish position from Nintendo. The console in question was sold legitimately the first time, and now it is in circulation. A new owner is a new opportunity to establish a contractual agreement with a paying customer. Refusing service, even after the console has been returned to factory condition, is foolish of them.

The only danger is that a compromised system will likely have had its cert dumped (which is why it was banned, most likely), and since the cert is not replaceable in the unit (because of locked emmc, hardware specific key baked into the CPU and unchangable, etc---) But that is because nintendo foolishly chose to tie all that together, instead of having them be separate.

7. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    im not sure why the outcry isn't as bad as when xbox said you can't game share. its the same EXACT premise. possibly because hacking is involved? maybe...

some call it piracy, i consider it game sharing. someone has a copy, they offer for me to play it and i do, since i don't "own" it, im now banned. i guess they are mainly attacking non-legit certs for games and downloads that don't originate from the system, but what happens if Nintendo makes a mistake on their end with the cert detection? how they gonna recover that one?

im for banning online play for the user ID, that makes perfect sense. they don't want to muck up their online environment.

8. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    They will not bother to unban them because *cough* let the neighbour/friend unban it for you *cough*

Or in other words if there is a loophole in the system people will abuse it.

Last edited by ghjfdtg, Aug 28, 2018
  9. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Short answer: You're screwed.
    Long answer: You're screeeeeeeeeeeeewed.

Titanica and sarkwalvein like this.
  10. Selaht

Selaht Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2007
    Brazil
    For an exclusively offilne playing, is there any limitation in a banned console?

11. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    As I said, the games that ship on cart but require additional downloads. Like Wolfenstein, Banner Saga 3, LA Noire.
    You'd either have to acquire full nsp rips of them, or the "DLC/Update" NSP from CDN, that continues all this data.
    No problem at the moment, only if they bring down CDN.

12. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Well I mean if they did unban a 2nd hand console then they might as well unban all banned consoles b/c ppl would use the same excuse they bought it from someone else...
    Kinda defeats the purpose of being banned huh

13. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Part of the problem is the supposed “flagging” a console then banning at a later date. Say I do whatever with CFW but don’t actually get banned, then restore a clean Nand and sell the console. 6 weeks later ban wave hits and unsuspecting buyer gets a Superban and he did nothing wrong. As the seller how do I know it was caused by my actions and not something he did? Is Nintendo going to arbitrate who caused the ban? (of course not)

Basically the entire used Switch market is tainted.

Last edited by thorasgar, Aug 28, 2018
  14. Nastas95
    OP

Nastas95 GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2018
    Italy
    Well, I'm Italian.
    So, short answer is

NO, Nintendo will NEVER unban a console

I was just asking, i'm not going to buy a banned switch and hopefully i won't get banned -i did use eshop while in cfw hekate, didn't buy/download nothing and till today no ban has arrived...

I'm going to write directly to Nintendo just to confirm what we all think

15. Don Jon

Don Jon GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    i mean as far as i know, no one here has called ninty to confirm
    they are mostly speculations which make sense.
    but nothing officially stated by ninty

i mean i would luv to see what they would do if you call acting stupid and said you cant go online after you bought it at a pawn shop or something

Last edited by Don Jon, Aug 28, 2018
  16. Nastas95
    OP

Nastas95 GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2018
    Italy
    Well, I'm Italian.
    i sent an email but no response from them... i'll try and call them

17. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    There have been some email response posted on the forum. With the expected reply. Contact who you bought it from and work it out with them.

18. josemoop

josemoop Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    Canada
    buy a new one from a store replace it seal it and return.

19. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I pretended to be a 12 year old boy, on his birthday, who had just unwrapped his shiny Switch; all he wanted to do was buy Fortnite bless him. But his Switch was banned! poor kid!!

And so to the Nintendo support chat he did go, to try to find solution with the warm-hearted staff ready to fix his problems.

He got told to f@#k off, alot more politely of course, but f@#k off all the same.

[​IMG]

Nintendo will not un-ban. Not even for poor old Bobby on his birthday!

nWo and thorasgar like this.
  20. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    the used buyer could sue nintendo (a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg shot) if they can provide no wrong doing and that the previous owner is the culpurt who banned it but with no cdn use proving legit use after being sold would be extremely hard if not impossiable then nintendo would make every excuse in the legal dictionary to defend their actions if a case like this was won by the consumer i can see a shitstorm coming