Homebrew What happens when you region-change your 3DS?

Daniel72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I have a Korean (new)3DS, and I wanted to play my OoT3D and MM3D in English(because the translation was somewhat cringy and I also wanted to study some more English) so I hacked my 3DS and got the North American version of it. However, the banner was really glitchy and MM3D didn't even boot properly. So I have some questions about this whole region changing thing.
1) If I change my 3DS to the US region, will these banner glitches be fixed?
2) What are some other restrictions when you change the 3DS's region besides no eShop?
2) When I change the region to the US, but get upset by the results and change it back to Korean, will everything go back to normal?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a Korean (new)3DS, and I wanted to play my OoT3D and MM3D in English(because the translation was somewhat cringy and I also wanted to study some more English) so I hacked my 3DS and got the North American version of it. However, the banner was really glitchy and MM3D didn't even boot properly. So I have some questions about this whole region changing thing.
1) If I change my 3DS to the US region, will these banner glitches be fixed?
2) What are some other restrictions when you change the 3DS's region besides no eShop?
2) When I change the region to the US, but get upset by the results and change it back to Korean, will everything go back to normal?
Not much experience with Korean 3DS issues, but here:
1) The issues are likely caused because of region changing for games on Luma. According to the Luma wiki: "CHN/TWN/KOR 3DSes use a different shared font archive than NA/EU/JP. It may be necessary to install the other regions' shared font archives if your out of region game does not work." So try that before a region change and the issues may go away. Otherwise, just region change.
2) Really, it's just the no eShop, but you can easily make a new NNID after region changing, making your system fully functional.
3) If you region change, then region change back to the original, it should work just fine. To make sure there are really absolutely no issues from the region change, just backup your SysNAND while on the KOR version, then do whatever you want and go back to the KOR version by simply restoring that backup, making sure that no other changes (unwanted ones) happen.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Daniel72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
It may be necessary to install the other regions' shared font archives if your out of region game does not work." So try that before a region change and the issues may go away. Otherwise, just region change.
Sorry, but how do I install those font archives onto my 3DS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-