UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Why has it been deleted.
Is the program safe to use.
Would like to but after the thread got deleted i'm having second thoughts about it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If having publicly viewable source code is not enough to convince you if it is safe, then I don't know what will convince you. I'm pretty sure the more likely reason is because it was able to download warez. But maybe @linuxares can explain it better in case I haven't?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why has it been deleted.
Would like to but after the thread got deleted i'm having second thoughts about it.
I didn't see what happened, but I imagine it's because the program downloads copyrighted files, and contains the links to do so. Even tho they're on archive.org it's probably more liability than gbatemp wants to take on.

As Draz says, you or anyone can check the source code on its GitHub to see if it's safe. And if the author wants to get the app back on here, maybe just take the base domain name out of the links in the source, and make the user write it in a text file or enter it into the app.

Coldtrain6989XD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why has it been deleted.

It is because the developers got their ass sued because you never mess with Nintendo ever. They did an internal investigation into the SX-Team from the FBI. They got sentenced to prison.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is because the developers got their ass sued because you never mess with Nintendo ever. They did an internal investigation into the SX-Team from the FBI. They got sentenced to prison.
You are confusing the sole developer of this application with TX. NX-Rom market so far has nothing to do with TX.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt in 6 hours shit goes down that fast to put it lightly it's like the npsbrowser for ps3/vita it has no links baked in (well the OSX version and vita version does) the perfect analogy is a nuclear warhead without the arming/launch codes even though it has no way of arming unless you go out of your way to get the arming codes it make it no less illegal cause of it's intent gbatemp as drax said don't want any trouble from any federal entity this is just a percaucion

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

we can speak of such methods but cannot share links or that

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Why has it been deleted.
I assume because ROMs distribution is illegal in basically any country. Which is funny, cause on this community you can talk about anything related to Xecuter, sigpatches for atmos and a ton of other piracy-related topics.
GBATemp anti-piracy rules are a really bad joke, but I think a ROMs market was way too much even for them.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume because ROMs distribution is illegal in basically any country. Which is funny, cause on this community you can talk about anything related to Xecuter, sigpatches for atmos and a ton of other piracy-related topics.
GBATemp anti-piracy rules are a really bad joke, but I think a ROMs market was way too much even for them.

Talking is fine just that you can't link anything that is warez related.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Talking is fine just that you can't link anything that is warez related.
Sigpatches, for example, are even hosted on the site. There's a pinned thread where you can go and download those files which are the ones needed to run illegal copies on your hacked console. That's plain piracy.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigpatches, for example, are even hosted on the site. There's a pinned thread where you can go and download those files which are the ones needed to run illegal copies on your hacked console. That's plain piracy.

Well signature patches doesn't count toward piracy, it is just patches, it does no harm if there no link to warez that what the admin on the forum care more, no legal problem there, the patches aren't copyright stuffs.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Well signature patches doesn't count toward piracy, it is just patches, it does no harm if there no link to warez that what the admin on the forum care more, no legal problem there, the patches aren't copyright stuffs.
But you need those patches in order to run illegal copies. They are the key. If you don't have them, you simply cannot run games that are not original. Therefore, they are a tool for piracy. The fact that the code is not under copyright doesn't make them less of that.
That's why I said, the forum rules against piracy are a bad joke. You shouldn't be able to even mention Xecuter, since Nintendo is hunting and taking down website where they are a topic. You shouldn't be able to download or even talk about sigpatches either, for they are what allows you to patch a hacked console to run illegal games.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you need those patches in order to run illegal copies. They are the key. If you don't have them, you simply cannot run games that are not original. Therefore, they are a tool for piracy. The fact that the code is not under copyright doesn't make them less of that.
That's why I said, the forum rules against piracy are a bad joke. You shouldn't be able to even mention Xecuter, since Nintendo is hunting and taking down website where they are a topic. You shouldn't be able to download or even talk about sigpatches either, for they are what allows you to patch a hacked console to run illegal games.

I'd say it's a "Copywrite" issue, because "ROMS" in general are, like stated above -ROMs distribution is illegal in basically any country

Last edited by BigOnYa,

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
I'd say it's a "Copywrite" issue, because "ROMS" in general are, like stated above -ROMs distribution is illegal in basically any country
I assume you mean "copyright". ROMs aren't the issue, distribution is tho. And, of course, a project like the market would be take down from barely any website out there.
My point is that it's funny to see GBA taking some piracy projects down so quickly, while other are being pinned.

Last edited by LeyendaV,

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you mean "copyright". ROMs aren't the issue, distribution is tho. And, of course, a project like the market would be take down from barely any website out there.
My point is that it's funny to see GBA taking some piracy projects down so quickly, while other are being pinned.
Yep. Agreed but glad gbatemp here.

mklan

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey I am the dev of nx-rom-market. I thought that if the users had to find for their rom collections on google / archive and enter them in the config it would be perfectly fine.
But I totally understand that this app enables easy access to potential warez. Maybe I will strip out even the base url as suggested in this thread.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The whole Homebrew app was only a Shortcut to some Rom site. Nothing serious, but ilegal to post it here

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I removed the software since it's violated our rules of basically linking to roms.
We do not allowed that, we don't allow software that is premade for this.

If people have to include the urls themselves, they're fine. Since it was just to copy collection.json and you host it. We cannot allow it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ +1