Homebrew What happened to emulators for the Wii?

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrTea said:
Jacobeian said:
MrTea said:
We do have some very nice emu's on the wii though... but yeah its a shame its not up to the same standards as to whats on offer on xbox1.
frown.gif

you are comparing two different shits, Xbox emulators were easy to do because both PC & Xbox use the same CPU family (and similar architecture). People did not have to focus very much on the porting effort (which is the hardest part) but could spend all their time bringing new stuff and fancy interfaces. People usually don't realize that guys like Wii64 team are doing 10x much work than anything XPort has done with its leaked SDK and lightly modified open-source PC emulators

I really appreciate all the hard work that homebrew programmers do on the wii (which is why I donate money or contribute when I can to those coders) and playing wiisx, scummvm, all the snes light gun games, operation wolf on mame etc with a wiimote is truly amazing.

I'm just saying that for anyone who wants perfect emulation then the console of choice is surely still the xbox 1 (although the ps3 willl probably take that crown soon?) where you can pick one up very cheap now for about £15 and with little effort have it running all the emu's... and I'd say the majority of people (especially on sites like this) couldn't give 'two shits' if all the emu's on the xbox have been programed from an illegal/leaked sdk?

QUOTE(StupidGamer1 @ Oct 29 2010, 08:17 AM)
If MAME got a big update on what it could run such as killer instinct and cps 2/3 games, Sega got 32x/scd support and PCE with CD and arcade card support. I would not ask for anything else. This is all I would like on the wii. It's cool that we are getting Dreamcast and Virtual Boy but I would like to see emulators that are running now that are insufficient be updated Namely GXgeo,UAE and Wii64.

Well wiiengine is pretty amazing on the wii already for PCE CD (although arcade card support would be lush)... but yeah mame is my love too so hopefully we'll see some sort update in the future? The psp with caching can run loads of mame (including a lot of cave shooters, all cps2 and neogeo), plus sega cd etc and thats not from an illegal sdk (at least I don't think it is?)... so maybe one day somthing might happen like this on the wii too?
smile.gif

Is wii engine fullspeed in it's CD playability and if so does it support SDHC? I agree with the MAME aspect, The romlimit is ridiculous and I would LOVE to see more games work on it. Too bad toad king never replied to my PM....What a dick. Oh well.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
StupidGamer1 said:
Is wii engine fullspeed in it's CD playability and if so does it support SDHC? I agree with the MAME aspect, The romlimit is ridiculous and I would LOVE to see more games work on it. Too bad toad king never replied to my PM....What a dick. Oh well.

For wiiengine then its a big phat yes to perfect speed and sound and also yes to sdhc and usb hd's - although I used an sdhc compiled version I found on this site (by Jerrios)... http://gbatemp.net/t153541-wiiengine-with-...port?&st=30 ...I'd say the only thing it lacks is a decent GUI (I much prefer the GUI on hugo) and aracde support - apart from that it plays 99% of my cd games great. (R-tpye CD, Super Air Zonk, Star Parodia, Riot Zone, Black Hole Assault, Lords Of Thunder, Fighting Street, Bonk 3 CD etc etc)
smile.gif

About mame yeah its a shame theres not a bigger rom list but hey its no biggie really to me (and calling toad king names isnt really fair as he's done some amazing work and I can now play a big chunk of the classics now on my wii at pretty decent speeds- and that was all kindly done in that guys free time).

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
StupidGamer1 said:

Should find SDHC version here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=153541 I only ever tried star parodia and ended up getting the VC as it was taking up too much space on sd than it was worth I don't remember any huge noticeable speed difference between the two.
would be nice to see more work done to wiiengine or hugo.

Edit: so i end up like a parrot for making tea before hitting post
biggrin.gif

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
StupidGamer1 said:
Too bad toad king never replied to my PM....What a dick. Oh well.

I don't think insulting the person who gave you what you have so far is going to help. Maybe he's too busy to reply to your PM, or perhaps he's fed up of people PMing him all the time. If Toad King chooses to update, then he will. Otherwise, I'm happy playing what I can, and for anything else there's my PC.

QUOTE(StupidGamer1 @ Oct 30 2010, 10:24 AM) Last quesiton and I'll STFU. Is there a way to partition your hard drive if it's already WFBS to FAT or is it impossible?

No, you need to copy all the games to another drive, format, then copy back.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn.well i'll just stick to my 4gb SD for my HB, have too many games on it and it'd take too long. oh well. From what I understand about toad king though, he's not going to released a newer version. I am just in hopes a new one comes out by him or another coder. I just love playing games on the TV. Not much of a PC screen fanatic for gaming.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
GxGeo (by Blizzo) is coming back !

QUOTE said:
03/11/2010

* GxGeo is still being developed (albeit slowly), it is being updated to the latest libogc and adding support for SDHC, USB.
* Yet more major changes to the internal workings are being made.
* Loading of large ROMs (mslug3) is also being worked on.

And the source is now available...
http://code.google.com/p/gxgeo

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:

QUOTE said:
03/11/2010

* GxGeo is still being developed (albeit slowly), it is being updated to the latest libogc and adding support for SDHC, USB.

Ah thats great news! Thanks for the info.
smile.gif

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:

QUOTE said:
03/11/2010

Sweet I loved GX Geo back in the day. I stopped using it when I moved to an SDHC card but would love to have it back.

FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason Xbox has the best scene is because it's actually an intel x86 PC processor and it was a breeze to just move the code over from PC versions of emulators to the xbox.

The Wii is all PPC based code so it's way harder to port emulators over. ToadKing picked up MAME from nuvalo (that abandoned it after his first release) and took it as far as he could pretty much running any rom under 10 megs... but in the end blaming the Wii's processing power for larger ones and has since abandoned it for the past 6 months.

The only thing the Wii is missing is CPS2/3 and a decent neo geo emu .. I have a crappy cellphone from 2007 with an ARM processor and it can CPS2 at 30fps fine..
IF someone was talented enough and motivated they probably could port finalburn over and run decently. CPS3 I wouldn't expect anyone to get it going on the wii.

I'm not worried about neogeo because many of the best games are on virtual console or released on disc for the Wii (metal slug anthology, samurai showdown anthology, king of fighters collection etc).

If someone could port Final Burn Alpha to the Wii, I would have no need for an xbox ever again.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was pretty certain there was a cdi emu around on the pc? Think it is one of those you have to buy or there is a mame about which can do cdi, but with a lacklusture libray i can see why many devs arent quick to work on an emu for it, unless they fancy the challenge

julz1

Trophies
XP
Country
If you really want those emulators you guys should switch to the ps3 homebrew scene some people are doing perfect ports or ps1, snes, gba, and final burn alpha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto