Hardware What games can this laptop play?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux for browsing, XP for gaming. I stand for dualboot, or it could cause problems?
Only issue would be if you do not want to use that much of your storage but still gaming on Linux is not that bad for your specs as
1. Most older windows games run pretty good in WINE
2. Many pixel games on steam are on Linux

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your better off sticking to emulators at this point. Or just check steam system requirements and compare it to your PC specs to be sure. :)
Plus I forgot Linux's video game emulators are pretty good

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was suggesting something like Lubuntu as it is
1. Security updates compared tot XP or 7 which don't have the updates since MS is focusing on 10
2. It is focusing on being lightweight unlike Windows
3. There is no reason why wine is slower then windows since it is not an emulator but basically just translates system calls. Plus WINE runs many games at equal or even greater performance.

It really makes little sense to use an outdated version of windows with security issues when you could use a lightweight system that actually has updates coming in.
Security updates, don't think that's a big deal honestly, for a casual gamer, linux its a NO-GO, as for going to an updated version of windows, if you want to play old games, without issues, just go with XP.

Yeah um we have no clue what amd e450 is equivalent to in terms of gaming related stuff.
All E Series sucks. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E Series E-450.html they are very undervolted, and cant do much. so bare with me, go with XP, i dont see the point on installing Linux just to browse webpages, i got dual boot myself, however, it just for pleasure, again, go with XP.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Security updates, don't think that's a big deal honestly, for a casual gamer, linux its a NO-GO, as for going to an updated version of windows, if you want to play old games, without issues, just go with XP.

All E Series sucks. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E Series E-450.html they are very undervolted, and cant do much. so bare with me, go with XP, i dont see the point on installing Linux just to browse webpages, i got dual boot myself, however, it just for pleasure, again, go with XP.
To my knowledge security updates are still relatively important just due to the fact that naturally more vulnerabilities come with the age of the operating system and you need to be protected. Plus Linux is still very decent for gaming at this range as he is not trying to go crazy high resolutions or extreme specs. WINE is pretty easy to setup if you look a tutorials and check their well maintained database.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not to mention Protection software. Yeah they cost a lot and stuff but maybe you should consider that or upgrades. Of course if you have access to a protected pc you can use that and then copy safe only files to the system. Is like boy in plastic bubble. Or baby inside incubation chamber. You treat it like "DON"T GO OUT THERE YET, you need protections, only i can provide. Like mama pc to baby pc. Mama pc go shopping (Downloading files) And make sure is safe for baby pc (To transfer over after saftey checks) And that how pc get old and need replacing cause all that work is FUSTRATING!

Maybe a cheap but quality micro console like Rasberry pi 3 or Android tv console, Even the ouya could work :P
And yes i have one and not ashamed to admit i pay $100 for it on preorder. :blush:

Listen to pc mama @ScarletDreamz She is your mother brain now. Just don't ask about metroids or Phantasy star 2 Cause she not those kinds of mother brains.:)

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention Protection software. Yeah they cost a lot and stuff but maybe you should consider that or upgrades. Of course if you have access to a protected pc you can use that and then copy safe only files to the system. Is like boy in plastic bubble. Or baby inside incubation chamber. You treat it like "DON"T GO OUT THERE YET, you need protections, only i can provide. Like mama pc to baby pc. Mama pc go shopping (Downloading files) And make sure is safe for baby pc (To transfer over after saftey checks) And that how pc get old and need replacing cause all that work is FUSTRATING!

Maybe a cheap but quality micro console like Rasberry pi 3 or Android tv console, Even the ouya could work :P
And yes i have one and not ashamed to admit i pay $100 for it on preorder. :blush:

Listen to pc mama @ScarletDreamz She is your mother brain now. Just don't ask about metroids or Phantasy star 2 Cause she not those kinds of mother brains.:)
Only problem with this Bubble approach is the hassle that it would bring upon you but it theoretically is a good idea as the only thing you would need to do is make sure the files downloaded are clean. However I sort of feel like this approach is kind of weird as how would you web browse and plus isnt the purpose of a laptop that it is mobile?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like mama pc to baby pc. Mama pc go shopping (Downloading files) And make sure is safe for baby pc (To transfer over after saftey checks) And that how pc get old and need replacing cause all that work is FUSTRATING!

Listen to pc mama
Only problem with this Bubble approach is the hassle that it would bring upon you but it theoretically is a good idea as the only thing you would need to do is make sure the files downloaded are clean. However I sort of feel like this approach is kind of weird as how would you web browse and plus isnt the purpose of a laptop that it is mobile?
  1. :creep:
  2. A mobile device could work and as i said previous post, Protection software you would need to buy like anti virus and othet variety of infections.
  3. :creep::creep: (Simply cause of :creep:)

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay after showing him this he doesn't want to go back to XP and linux is too weird for him (hes never used linux) I guess he should go back to 7 then

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay after showing him this he doesn't want to go back to XP and linux is too weird for him (hes never used linux) I guess he should go back to 7 then
Linux is quite easy if you pick a good distro and gui but 7 is still a better bet than Xp as it will have more support from needed software like anti virus and also will have better game capability then XP.

Reactions: jDSX

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is linux anything like MS-DOS? Cause i hate DOS. :glare:
No they are very different from a system standpoint as it is Unix like. Although many distributions and GUIs do sort of have a certain feel that makes them relatively easy to for a new linux user who is coming from Linux (such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No they are very different from a system standpoint as it is Unix like. Although many distributions and GUIs do sort of have a certain feel that makes them relatively easy to for a new linux user who is coming from Linux (such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE).
Oh well i dunno, i notice people use linux for advance programming which is kind of stuff i think android os is based off cause i guess of open source or something? But i hate anything like MS-DOS it reminds me of Text adventures games and i don't like staring at a black screen with text on it, very uninspiring and unappealing for long time use. I mean some games i remember like word munchers were on dos but it was all green like gameboy from 1990.... and the other games with the "INSERT COMMAND" where people wouldn't even know what to do without instructions or knowlede cause they never used it in the past.

My first pc was windows 98 so using dos is snore fest.:ninja:

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am going to give him mine for the time being as it seems the amd one is crap. This one is an i3 330m and has 4gb of ram.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a piece as old as that, who cares if it gets a virus on it? It probably just barely chugs along as it is, so some spyware probably wouldn't make a difference. All consumer PCs are being shipped with Win 7 or higher, nobody is targeting XP machines, there would be nothing to gain.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well i dunno, i notice people use linux for advance programming which is kind of stuff i think android os is based off cause i guess of open source or something? But i hate anything like MS-DOS it reminds me of Text adventures games and i don't like staring at a black screen with text on it, very uninspiring and unappealing for long time use. I mean some games i remember like word munchers were on dos but it was all green like gameboy from 1990.... and the other games with the "INSERT COMMAND" where people wouldn't even know what to do without instructions or knowlede cause they never used it in the past.

My first pc was windows 98 so using dos is snore fest.:ninja:
Yeah it is used for development due to low cost,amount of tools and because it is more secure compared to Windows. Android is kinda Linux as it uses the Linux kernel (a modified version) but unlike most Linux OSes lacks the GNU userland. But many new distros are pretty modern like Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE if you are coming from Windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...