What features should be avoided to keep from bricking?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by TreasureCat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. TreasureCat
    OP

Newcomer TreasureCat Member

United States
    I bought both a DSi XL and a DSTWO back around Christmas, and have been enjoying them thoroughly, but I've generally avoided any online functionality so far- other than WIFI multiplayer- because I'm afraid of updating my DSi or otherwise bricking my DSTWO.

Lately, I've been wanting to check out the browser, and been thinking about buying some DSiWare. Would using either of these features cause my DSTWO to stop working in my DSi? For that matter, which features do cause problems?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    The DSTwo will work regardless of firmware on the DSi. Flash carts don't brick it or anything. Don't worry about it.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Install the latest firmware update (1.09, the one that adds 3DS functionality) and then you can update your DSi, no problem.

There's NO bricking. Only new firmware updates for the DSi/XL that block flash carts, but as long as you make sure to apply the update to your flash cart (that bypasses the block) before you apply the update to your DSi (that adds new stuff but blocks flash carts) there's no issue.

4. TreasureCat
    OP

Newcomer TreasureCat Member

United States
    Great, so having just installed EOS v1.11 (which I only just did, I hadn't looked back at EOS since December), I should be totally safe to use any features and apply any updates that Nintendo has in place (to-date)?

Sorry to ask again. I'm actually pretty tech-savvy but I'm also very afraid of damaging or disabling expensive electronics.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    EOS is not the firmware, EOS is the software/system/menu.

The firmware is the file you run (like a piece of homebrew) that updates the DSTwo itself.

6. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States