Hacking What emulators do you think will be possible if the 3DS gets hacked?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd love to see the N64 if possible, but most likely it's not since the Wii can barely handle it. A GB/GBC/GBA emulator would be great too.
The 3DS kicks the Wiis butt hardware wise.
You always have to consider that the Wiis CPU is the same as the Gamecubes, except with a higher clock speed. That means the Wiis processor is from a generation that is ~12 years old. Also the Wii only has 88MB RAM. For emulation you mostly need processor-power, but RAM also plays a role.

Besides the Wii emulates N64 games just fine. Majora's Mask has less lag on the Wii than it has on the N64 and that is a RAM-expansion game.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see the N64 if possible, but most likely it's not since the Wii can barely handle it. A GB/GBC/GBA emulator would be great too.
The 3DS kicks the Wiis butt hardware wise.
You always have to consider that the Wiis CPU is the same as the Gamecubes, except with a higher clock speed. That means the Wiis processor is from a generation that is ~12 years old. Also the Wii only has 88MB RAM. For emulation you need mostly provessor, but RAM also plays a role.

Besides the Wii emulates N64 games just fine. Majora's Mask has less lag on the Wii than it has on the N64 and that is a RAM-expansion game.
That is 1 game. Almost every single N64 game had issues. Thankfully OoT and MM ran fine.

The processor speed and amount of RAM aren't that much different between the Wii and 3DS.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the games have issues that means Nintendo was too lazy to programm good emulators for the VC releases.
If a RAM-expansion game, that came late in the consoles lifetime, runs fine, it's not a hardware issue.

The processor speed and amount of RAM aren't that much different between the Wii and 3DS.

Yeah because the "magic Mhz number" is the only thing that indicates the speed of a processor. That's why a 3Ghz Pentium 2 and a 3Ghz Core i5 run exactly the same. No difference there.

Also 88MB (Wii) and 128MB (3DS) aren't that much different? Man you must have failed math pretty hard.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If the games have issues that means Nintendo was too lazy to programm good emulators for the VC releases.
If a RAM-expansion game, that came late in the consoles lifetime, runs fine, it's not a hardware issue.
I was talking about Wii64. We aren't discussing official Nintendo software, this is about homebrew emulators. You can't expect top quality.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was talking about Wii64. We aren't discussing official Nintendo software, this is about homebrew emulators. You can't expect top quality.
Wii64 is far from finished. Ofcourse it takes time to develop an emulator that runs well and if the hardware is restricted, as it is on the Wii, it will take longer.

Regarding your ramblings that the Wii and 3DS aren't that different hardware wise, see my edit in the last post.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Android can run, GBC, Snes, Genises, amiga, PSX, GBA and N64 Flawlessly.
N64 on Android does not run flawlessly at ALL... Super Mario 64 is near perfect, Zelda: OoT is buggy, but fully playable, and a bucketful others like Banjo Kazooie and Kirby 64 work ok with varying degrees of bugs, but it is FAR from perfect.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
N64 on Android does not run flawlessly at ALL... Super Mario 64 is near perfect, Zelda: OoT is buggy, but fully playable, and a bucketful others like Banjo Kazooie and Kirby 64 work ok with varying degrees of bugs, but it is FAR from perfect.
Which is again not a hardware problem, but a software problem. Emulators take time to develop and there isn't even a really good open source N64 emulator for PC. So you don't have a really good choice when you decide what to port.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Which is again not a hardware problem, but a software problem. Emulators take time.
Probably right. I'm just stating that it's not flawless at all. Calling N64oid for Android flawless is like saying Ganondorf is the main protagonist of the Zelda games. lol.

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii64 is far from finished. Ofcourse it takes time to develop an emulator that runs well and if the hardware is restricted, as it is on the Wii, it will take longer.

Regarding your ramblings that the Wii and 3DS aren't that different hardware wise, see my edit in the last post.
Wow man, no need to get so touchy about this. I'm a bit skeptical on a decent N64 emulator being released for the 3DS. Don't get your panties in a bunch just because you feel differently.

It's not just about hardware limitations, it's how much work will go into it. Personally at least, if I knew how to make homebrew on a 360 as well, I would still stick to making Wii homebrew because it is easier to hack and thus more people will use it. With a 3DS you would most likely need a flash cart, decreasing the homebrew population even more.

Until it gets hacked (assuming it does) we won't know exactly what it is capable of.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow man, no need to get so touchy about this... Don't get your panties in a bunch just because you feel differently.
+1. Let's stay friendly, people! Let's keep this one of the few "3DS hack speculation threads" that doesn't get out of hand and shut down. :P

Reactions: 1 person

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow man, no need to get so touchy about this. I'm a bit skeptical on a decent N64 emulator being released for the 3DS. Don't get your panties in a bunch just because you feel differently.

It's not just about hardware limitations, it's how much work will go into it. Personally at least, if I knew how to make homebrew on a 360 as well, I would still stick to making Wii homebrew because it is easier to hack and thus more people will use it. With a 3DS you would most likely need a flash cart, decreasing the homebrew population even more.

Until it gets hacked (assuming it does) we won't know exactly what it is capable of.
I'm not touchy, I just get annoyed by all the people thinking that you can tell how powerfull a CPU is by looking at the Mhz-number. There is a lot more to it than simple takt rate.
While ARM is always a little behind, you can be sure that an ARM11 is way more powerfull than a 12 year old model of a Power PC CPU.

I never said we would for sure get a great N64 emulator on the 3DS once it's hacked (though I'm convinced we will), I just said that from a technical standpoint it won't be a problem, even in the slightest.

I also don't think we will need flashcards for homebrew once the 3DS is hacked. We should have access to the internal SD slot.
But even if we don't, do you really think a flashcard is much of a problem? It wasn't for the DS.

Also let's face it. There will be much more incentive to get a good N64 running on the 3DS than there was on the Wii. Your PC usually is a few rooms away from your TV (if even that far) and it is generally much less of a hassle, just to use an emulator on the PC than on the TV (Wii). We are not back in the XBOX days where computer screens were tiny and crappy. A lot of people have better computer monitors than they have TVs. I know I do. Combine that with the fact, that emulators on computers can upscale the games, and Wii64 isn't very attractive.
But playing N64 games on the go is a whole different ball game. People will want to have that. People will want to make that.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
061611_zeldacomparison_link--article_image.jpg

Does retexturing makes these fingers?

They removed Link's breasts in the 3DS version?

Reactions: 2 people

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY