Hardware What does the Type of NAT means?

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I just got a Switch and now I have a question for the community: Does anyone know what kind of NAT does the Type A, B and C refer to? and what to do to get the best NAT possible? thanks in advance everyone! Because I connect my switch from Wi Fi and it gets type C, and when I connect it through the dock via a Ethernet USB adapter, it says it´s type A, for some reason.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Type A means you are using an ethernet connection. Type B means you are using a wireless one. Type C is wireless too but it may cause problems to get some services or games to work properly due to the ports or stuff like that being locked or closed on your router.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAT basically is what converts all of your internal private IP addresses into the single external address that connects to the internet. From what I can tell consoles will list types to tell how restrictive your firewall is, which may prohibit online functionality from working properly. Unsure about Nintendo's version of that, but I'm sure Google would help you figure that out

Reactions: Masterwin

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
NAT basically is what converts all of your internal private IP addresses into the single external address that connects to the internet. From what I can tell consoles will list types to tell how restrictive your firewall is, which may prohibit online functionality from working properly. Unsure about Nintendo's version of that, but I'm sure Google would help you figure that out

em...there's a reason why I made the post. I DIDN'T FIND ANY WITH GOOGLE.

Type A means you are using an ethernet connection. Type B means you are using a wireless one. Type C is wireless too but it may cause problems to get some services or games to work properly due to the ports or stuff like that being locked or closed on your router.

now THIS is an answer. Thank you

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
em...there's a reason why I made the post. I DIDN'T FIND ANY WITH GOOGLE.
At this point I've learned to assume most people don't know how to use Google from my experience on this site. I've seen a myriad of threads where the user didn't even bother to use Google at all.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Type A is best, Type be is okay., Type C is worst. You should always have at least a A or B, never a C. A means is possible to play with everyone and B is kinda restrictive who you play with but not as bad as C, is still just as playable as A. As long as you don't get C you should be okay. :P

Since i use wireless i have a B and always will since i can't use wired connections with my game consoles. (they aren't in range of the router nor does the router have enough ports for all of them.) All my consoles usually have a B/Yellow/2 type nat which i guess the label is different for each console/game you play. In Street fighter 3 3rd strike online edition for playstation 3 is yellow, to be nat 2 in the home settings. Is possible that even wired connections can get nat 2/b type connections, and that is basically if your home network is blocking required ports to access the online services for the system. IN this case having a UPNP on the router or port forwarding to help with it, as alternative to taking down firewall is a common practice. Weather you have A or b on nintendo switch is not a big deal :)

Reactions: Xabring

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
At this point I've learned to assume most people don't know how to use Google from my experience on this site. I've seen a myriad of threads where the user didn't even bother to use Google at all.
Reasonable, considering most people either, lazy, outright silly, or worse. just to don't sound agressive...I guess....
Type A is best, Type be is okay., Type C is worst. You should always have at least a A or B, never a C. A means is possible to play with everyone and B is kinda restrictive who you play with but not as bad as C, is still just as playable as A. As long as you don't get C you should be okay. :P

Since i use wireless i have a B and always will since i can't use wired connections with my game consoles. (they aren't in range of the router nor does the router have enough ports for all of them.) All my consoles usually have a B/Yellow/2 type nat which i guess the label is different for each console/game you play. In Street fighter 3 3rd strike online edition for playstation 3 is yellow, to be nat 2 in the home settings. Is possible that even wired connections can get nat 2/b type connections, and that is basically if your home network is blocking required ports to access the online services for the system. IN this case having a UPNP on the router or port forwarding to help with it, as alternative to taking down firewall is a common practice. Weather you have A or b on nintendo switch is not a big deal :)

So, I should stick with the USB adapter even If I only get 800KB/s instead of the 3.0MB/s with the wireless? yeah. Guess I should do that.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I should stick with the USB adapter even If I only get 800KB/s instead of the 3.0MB/s with the wireless? yeah. Guess I should do that.
Regardless of your nat type, as long as is not C you should always aim for best possible download/upload speed. On wifi mine is 50MBPS download speed 15MBPS upload speed (Should be 25 at least for some reason) and on nat B which is good for a video game console. You don't need amazing numbers like mine, perhaps about 20MBPS for just online multiplayer, only reason why you would need anything larger is for downloads from eshop or a web browser or uploads for... something, since honestly what would anyone upload to on switch anyway.

Best to always aim for high download and upload speeds rather than A nat type. The nat type determines who you can play with not how good your internet connection is. In this case Imagine that having matching nat type means you can play with people of same nat type.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think PING and JITTER also matter (perhaps even more) there, but it's harder to see on the switch. but I guess it's wise to have better speed. Then I shoud check the freaking wifi and tweak the firewall then.
Well is not something the system does display to the user unlike using a pc and visiting speedtest.net which you can't do on console browsers. But yes it would matter. In this case is not possible to detect with the system connection test to bother to try and figure out. Is best to get a good speed as you can actually test for it. Considering the switch actually has 5GHZ AC wifi Having bad wifi isn't a problem as it used to be for the previous systems. On 2 bars is perfectly okay and downloads from eshop is blazing fast at 50MBPS, however i have no game with online multiplayer to test is performance so i can't input on that. But downloads are no more than 1 minute on that Wifi. :D

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: elBenyo and Xabring

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes you can and I have, there are tons of threads on how to get a more functional browser on the Switch, although I could not complete the test at speedtest.net, fast.com worked just fine.
like this?
f6S2nnK.jpg

anyway, I am very grateful for all the help. Thanks guys. I guess then I better check out the NAT if I can make it work for when it does work: splatoon gobal test is gonna be a good try on that one.

Last edited by Xabring, , Reason: add moar text.
Reactions: Mr. Wizard

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wireless connection? Where do you get these facts?

It should be: A - Open, B - Moderate, C - Strict.

Same on PS4. http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839
If you are not directly connected to your Modem and use a Router, you will have a B type NAT.

Protip: I am using a wired connection on my Nintendo Switch, and I still have B type NAT. Stop spreading bullshit.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay