• Total voters

ace90099

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anything else, this is not a topic for flaming, I want to see what people think of softmii and how many think that. If you choose the Epic joke or great site options above don't even bother leaving a post, those options covers anything else you could have to say.

Now to the point.

I want to know if people think softmii is useful and if you think is can be improved in any way or what you might like to see in the next version.

you can say what feature you liked or didn't like or what features it had that you hadn't seen before.

Again, NO FLAMING. you can say you didn't like it or something in it but don't rant about it being: gay, stupid, fail, joke, lame, a rip off, etc.

Now for me I tried it to see what it had to offer, but most of the stuff it did I had already done to my wii except for changing the health screen. I didn't know that a mod like that had been created and though it was awesome that I didn't have to see that ~cencored~ health screen anymore. I now have a screenshot of mario in place of the health screen. Another thing softmii was good for is that it installed or fix something I had missed that stopped my flatmii from crashing when I would load a GC multi-rom game.

I think softmii is a good pack to help out even the noobiest of noobs so that they can enjoy homebrew just like the rest of us.
but hopefully they make the newer versions a little mor user friendly and appealing.

btw i used like the first version of it and have yet to try the newer version which i think is 2 something.

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
with softmii, all noobs start softmodding, and they end up spamming here about their problems

but aren't they violating copyrights? because they dont include sourche code?

reymomo99

Trophies
XP
Country
I Think it's a very good all in one package. Meaning it has everything to modify the Wii, and to play backups, in a single download, including the manual. I have it installed, along with USB launcher, and they complement each other very good.

One of the PROS of softmii is that it is very easy to use, and because of that I had learned a lot about Wii..

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have no problem with Softmii or those behind it my only issue is i get tired of the 1000's dickheads that spam here when it has its own irc and forum.
The package itself is a great idea.

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i used softmii when sorting my wii and loads of peoples from work/me mates
i dont have as much time to mess around anymore like i used to so it was handy to have a all in 1 solution

by the way i will be keeping a close eye on this topic and anyone who feels like they wanna act like a twat will be getting a months ban

nonamewasfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
as i began customizing my wii i felt it was very difficult to get everything properly done, i was afraid of bricking and didnt know what is possible and where to get it. soon i discovered softmii. installation was damn easy and the package itself was awesome. everthing worked perfect after a few minutes installtion.
as my knowledge became better i now no longer use softmii or other packages.

quantocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
they take other peoples tools and make people donate money to them. SoftMii begging for money. it's illegal anyway. Wonder if you can report their website to Nintendo.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
meh....
it's a ok pack, the problem is ppl who have no idea what they are doing end up using it with a 80% chance of them bricking because of lack of knowledge on exactly what they are doing.
to the unversed novice a mod chip is actually easier to install than it.

CopyCaet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personally I prefer getting my stuff myself instead of using the softmii package. Helps me understand what I have + I always have the most recent stuff as soon as it's released, because I don't have to wait for softmii to be updated, so no softmii here.

I think it's pretty useless actually, considering you can find everything you need yourself and also learn about what you're doing in doing so. I hate it if, for example, someone asks what preloader does after installing it because the softmii guide says they should. They should look up the stuff their selves.

I have to admit it's easy for those who do know what they are doing, but simply don't have the time to keep up with the scene and can just grab a package like softmii instead though.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
CopyCaet said:
Personally I prefer getting my stuff myself instead of using the softmii package. Helps me understand what I have + I always have the most recent stuff as soon as it's released, because I don't have to wait for softmii to be updated, so no softmii here.

I think it's pretty useless actually, considering you can find everything you need yourself and also learn about what you're doing in doing so. I hate it if, for example, someone asks what preloader does after installing it because the softmii guide says they should. They should look up the stuff their selves.

I have to admit it's easy for those who do know what they are doing, but simply don't have the time to keep up with the scene and can just grab a package like softmii instead though.

Yes that´s exactly what i think too.
I mean it´s not different at all to mod your Wii yourself and you have much more controll what is installed and what you really need

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nonamewasfree said:
as i began customizing my wii i felt it was very difficult to get everything properly done, i was afraid of bricking and didnt know what is possible and where to get it. soon i discovered softmii. installation was damn easy and the package itself was awesome. everthing worked perfect after a few minutes installtion.
as my knowledge became better i now no longer use softmii or other packages.

i felt exactly the same

bebs

Trophies
XP
Country
softmii is a good app, but support isn't....a few people really help on the forum.

they keep their knowledge for themselves. yeah they don't have to help, but why a softmii support then?useless...

Jetpac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Being a newb who has just done a soft mod for the first time i found it great as it offers a one package solution to modding. However the instruction PDF they have is pretty poor and i had to go to their IRC channel for help, where i found 1 or 2 people willing to help, the rest were rude and obnoxious.

Would i use it again? at the moment, probably because i haven't learned enough yet, but im getting there
smile.gif

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its nice that they put everything in one pack but...
it is true... they just pile up everything others have made... and call it Softmii....
i do like the skinning, im a big fan of that... but the rest of the stuff i dont need a pack for...
i installed everything on my own...

i give them that... it is noob friendly... but all the noobs end up here anyway...
why u ask? have you seen their forum? its really dark and weird... this forum is nicer.

ace90099

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read most of the replies and the problem people seem to have with softmii is that is support forum sucks and they have a donate button.

Well its not illegal to accept donations even if they get them because they made a free homebrew pack.
and if this site gets that many noobs from softmii than make a section for it, I'm sure there are a few people here who can help out the softmii noobs and if the noobs like what they find on this site then this site gets more members and maybe donation if they had an easy to find button like softmii.

and yes softmii could benefit a great deal from having better instructions, including what each thing in the pack does, letting the user choose the things they want (i.e. changing the health screen or not. I hated the screen it put up by default)

but softmii is on the right track with having everything in one zip file, because like most people I hate going to 9 different sites to download 15 different files, just to install 5 different thing on my wii, its a waste of time.

but if anybody still hates softmii that much, put them out of business. Make a better pack of software, write better instructions, give better support since you think it is that easy that softmii hasn't done anything special or hard enough that they might deserve a donation for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...