What do you think about kids having technological stuff?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I think I got my first cellphone when I was 13. I was on Pay As You Go and paid for all the credit myself.

Did I ever use it? Hardly ever. Most of the time I didn't even need it.

As for the computer, I've had one since I was around 10 years old or so (Actually, probably younger, I remember running Windows 98) but I didn't actually get it in my room until my 15th birthday. From my experiences I don't think children should have access to a computer whenever they want, it can lead to addiction (Either Internet or Gaming).

And sometimes it isn't about maturity, just common sense about when to stop and go outside.

Edit:

Oh, I've also heard a few rumors about cellphones causing brain tumors due to the microwaves they give off affecting brain cells. I'm not sure if there is any evidence of this, but another reason not to give one to a child.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Only reason I see for a kid to have a cell phone is to help their parents to track them..
tongue.gif

Well, I had a computer at home since I can remember.. when I was 10 my mom gave me my own PC, of course by that time Internet access was too expensive for us and we didn't had it, so there were no problems like today..
If I had a kid, I would let him have access to this kind of thing, wouldn't be fair to don't let him, the internet has a lot of good stuff! But, I would also keep an eye on what he's doing..

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think sort of -

For cell/mobile phones, it would be unfair to want them to buy you an expensive mobile phone until you're at least in your teens - a pay-as-you-go old phone or a special deal cheap one or one of your parents' old one maybe for emergencies if you're really careful with it i'd say.

Yes to the video games but the ratings are sort of there for a reason - people don't usually care about them but having them is very very sensible. For handheld consoles, I don't think that you should take them everywhere.

With regards to the computer... yes and no. I don't think you should get a separate one if your family already has a computer. I think that if there is a family computer, you could use that but I think there are tons of reasons that they would want you to be restricted to it. If you were a smart kid, you could avoid all the bad things of the internet - I used one from when I was about 7 or 8 and all I did was use BBC and Cartoon Network and I learned very quickly of what things on the internet could be dodgy. Even so it is very easy to do otherwise. Oh, and having internet can be very costly.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm 14 and I rarely use my cellphone. Had my mom not bought it for me, I would've never bought one, as I find it useless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E