What DNS server do you use as a resolver?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,333
  • Replies 11

What DNS server do you use?

• ISP's DNS Server

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google's DNS

• OpenDNS

• I run my own DNS server (Wow)

• Other (state in post)

• Total voters
D

Deleted_171835

OP
What DNS server do you use as a resolver?
ph34r.gif

I use OpenDNS. It's easy to use. I prefer it over Google's DNS because of privacy concerns.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
I run my own using Treewalk DNS, I do this because there was a time a while back when my cable modem refused to access websites every 30 minutes or so for a period of 10-15 seconds. OpenDNS, and other DNS providers didn't work. Only other fix was to access sites exclusively via their numbers, which wasn't fun
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Custom hosts file, standard OS level cache, on network (sometimes), router hacked to use openDNS (it seems to be a new trick of ISPs to stop DNS changing so I had to hack it back to the base model).

For portable machines I will tend to add openDNS to their DNS server lists depending on how/where the machine is used (having to run through network config over the phone/email is not as fun as it sounds) and while I rarely use it I do have a fallback DNS on a remote server I look after that more or less mirrors my home machines. Unless I am playing with it then it is only internet facing if I SSH into that machine, launch the daemon, telnet from there into the network router there and sort it all out).
That one is more of a one for associates when visiting countries that dislike such things though.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I usually just use my ISP DNS, but when I have a problem I like using Google's.
The main reason why I use google is because of the IP address, really easy to remember
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted_171835

OP
DeMoN said:
I don't really understand what's the point of changing it, so I just stick with my ISP's default.
I switched to OpenDNS because of Rogers' DNS re-directing. A mistyped URL would bring up ad filled pages stored on the Rogers' server. And whenever I reached 75% of my monthly cap they hijacked web pages displaying a banner that told me that. It was annoying so I switched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-