What DNS server do you use as a resolver?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by soulx, Mar 17, 2010.

?
  1. ISP's DNS Server

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Google's DNS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. OpenDNS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I run my own DNS server (Wow)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (state in post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    What DNS server do you use as a resolver? [​IMG]

I use OpenDNS. It's easy to use. I prefer it over Google's DNS because of privacy concerns.

2. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I don't really understand what's the point of changing it, so I just stick with my ISP's default.

3. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania

I know them by heart. ISP DNS sucks so bad.

4. Dialexio

Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    OpenDNS for the win. [​IMG] I almost switched to Google's DNS, but Namebench suggested I stick with OpenDNS, so... yeah.

5. macgeek417

macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

Nov 10, 2009
    United States

6. KevInChester

KevInChester GBAtemp Fan

Jul 29, 2009
    I run my own using Treewalk DNS, I do this because there was a time a while back when my cable modem refused to access websites every 30 minutes or so for a period of 10-15 seconds. OpenDNS, and other DNS providers didn't work. Only other fix was to access sites exclusively via their numbers, which wasn't fun [​IMG]

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Custom hosts file, standard OS level cache, on network (sometimes), router hacked to use openDNS (it seems to be a new trick of ISPs to stop DNS changing so I had to hack it back to the base model).

For portable machines I will tend to add openDNS to their DNS server lists depending on how/where the machine is used (having to run through network config over the phone/email is not as fun as it sounds) and while I rarely use it I do have a fallback DNS on a remote server I look after that more or less mirrors my home machines. Unless I am playing with it then it is only internet facing if I SSH into that machine, launch the daemon, telnet from there into the network router there and sort it all out).
    That one is more of a one for associates when visiting countries that dislike such things though.

8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I usually just use my ISP DNS, but when I have a problem I like using Google's.
    The main reason why I use google is because of the IP address, really easy to remember [​IMG]

9. misteromar

misteromar GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    My isp DNS.

10. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Zimbabwe
    Ragol
    I had no idea about these.
    Well, I just got OpenDNS and I love it [​IMG]

11. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    I switched to OpenDNS because of Rogers' DNS re-directing. A mistyped URL would bring up ad filled pages stored on the Rogers' server. And whenever I reached 75% of my monthly cap they hijacked web pages displaying a banner that told me that. It was annoying so I switched.

12. zuron7

zuron7 RBYG

Apr 6, 2009
    India
    GPS not available in this area

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice