What did you Accomplish in Gaming Today?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that. I can easily do that with a triwing screwdriver, right? And what kind of battery would I need?

I think you'd need an e-torx "gamebit" screwdriver, and you'll need a button-cell battery like the cr2032, I think.

You'll need a soldering iron if you're gonna remove the tabs (from the board, not the battery) and install a new battery that has tabs. However, most of the button-cell batteries you'll find don't have tabs, and you cant solder tabs onto a battery as it does not stick (and you really don't want to heat up the battery as it can explode). If there's space, I'd get one of those battery-sockets or whatever they're called that you see on a motherboard and install that onto the cart, because from then on out, replacing the battery would be as simple as opening it up and popping the old one out and pushing in a new one.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sychu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a few days ago I sat down to finally beat the original The Legend of Zelda on NES, which I was halfway through a playthrough of, only to find that my save data got erased. I double checked the saving ability and it still worked, so I thought it was a fluke, and started again. After randomly losing the data again today, I gave up and decided to play the Wii U virtual console version instead.

I ended up beating it in one day (took me 8 hours, according to my play log) with 100% completion. Thing is, I definitely used the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough for most of it, as well as save states for the harder parts toward the end (though I forced myself to not use them every second).

Generally I'm opposed to just playing an entire game from a walkthrough or while using save states, but I had already beaten half the game without it before, and frankly the game felt impossible otherwise. I understand the game was from a different time, and I love a game with a ridiculous difficulty setting, but even I have my limits.

The game is absolutely archaic by modern standards (putting required secrets in places where no one could ever possibly know to look without accidentally stumbling on it, etc), and most of the difficulty and "punishment" for failing is just artificial lengthening of the game with monotonous tasks. Id est, die in the last dungeon? Sucks for you, you have to start at the beginning with all the enemies respawned and only three hearts. If you want more, you're going to have to find a hidden potion shop. Oh, you don't have enough rupees to buy a potion? Fuck you, you're going to have to grind for 68 rupees, have fun (a process which can easily take 30 minutes or more, considering how rarely enemies actually drop anything compared to newer games).

In the end, i didn't enjoy myself that much (probably the least I've enjoyed a Zelda game, honestly), but I'm glad I played and beat it, if only to get it over with. Now to complete my playthrough of the entire series, I just need to beat Zelda II and Four Swords Adventures. Then I'll be all ready for A Link Between Worlds' release this November! :D

OMG! The first Zelda was one of the hardest and funnest games i'd ever played. I'd spend hours looking for things and hours trying to defeat a single room. I played with the green tunic and small shield (i thought the shield in the shop was a replacement small shield:unsure:) till i reached the last dungeon, however i was able to claim the magic sword early on (lucky me!). Items are extremely hard to find as are the dungeons and secrets. My brother was the one who taught me of the white tunic and shield as he was playing the game for the first time right along with me ^ ^. I gave up when I couldn't find the 3rd? dungeon in the second quest. I played that in 2010 for the first time so im a late bloomer.

Off-topic but i did a similar thing when i beat the first FF, i didn't know until the very end of the game that you can view the over-world map by pressing a button combination so i spent infinite amounts of time traversing the world. OMG! that was "so" frustrating but fun at times.

You have now enticed me to watch a lets play of zelda.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think you'd need an e-torx "gamebit" screwdriver, and you'll need a button-cell battery like the cr2032, I think.

You'll need a soldering iron if you're gonna remove the tabs (from the board, not the battery) and install a new battery that has tabs. However, most of the button-cell batteries you'll find don't have tabs, and you cant solder tabs onto a battery as it does not stick (and you really don't want to heat up the battery as it can explode). If there's space, I'd get one of those battery-sockets or whatever they're called that you see on a motherboard and install that onto the cart, because from then on out, replacing the battery would be as simple as opening it up and popping the old one out and pushing in a new one.
Thanks for the information! :)
OMG! The first Zelda was one of the hardest and funnest games i'd ever played. I'd spend hours looking for things and hours trying to defeat a single room. I played with the green tunic and small shield (i thought the shield in the shop was a replacement small shield:unsure:) till i reached the last dungeon, however i was able to claim the magic sword early on (lucky me!). Items are extremely hard to find as are the dungeons and secrets. My brother was the one who taught me of the white tunic and shield as he was playing the game for the first time right along with me ^ ^. I gave up when I couldn't find the 3rd? dungeon in the second quest. I played that in 2010 for the first time so im a late bloomer.

Off-topic but i did a similar thing when i beat the first FF, i didn't know until the very end of the game that you can view the over-world map by pressing a button combination so i spent infinite amounts of time traversing the world. OMG! that was "so" frustrating but fun at times.

You have now enticed me to watch a lets play of zelda.
Well I don't know if you care for comedy, but the GameGrumps (Arin Hansin of Egoraptor and Danny Sexbang of Ninja Sex Party) did a full playthrough of it a couple months ago, that I seriously recommend. It's very entertaining.

Sychu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information! :)

Well I don't know if you care for comedy, but the GameGrumps (Arin Hansin of Egoraptor and Danny Sexbang of Ninja Sex Party) did a full playthrough of it a couple months ago, that I seriously recommend. It's very entertaining.
Thank you so much! I love egoraptors parodys and you posted just before i was about to get on youtube. : )

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I've been too busy to post my gaming progress lately(and my bad memory I have lately doesn't help) but this is what I have done.
Started Rayman Legends(the other day when I was on my friend's house was only to test the game and play randomly) finished the first 2 world paintings, <3 Barbara and her palette swaps.
Played a little of Demon's Souls and progressed through 3-2 and reached the boss. what a son of a bitch, I was fighting the Maneater and suddenly noticed a 2nd life bar appeared and I was like WTF until I saw another Maneater and shit my pants, I really tried but failed miserably and asked my friend for a strategy and told me to shoot the 1st Maneater down with arrows BEFORE entering the white fog and worked, then entered the white fog and when I has about to kill the 2nd Maneater he knock me of the bridge and died. tried several times to no avail.
Continued Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction after some time and progressed immensely, I think I'm about to finish the game, I'm on my second visit to Fastoon.
Trained a little more on Disgaea 3 AoD but I'm not done yet, need to bring the new characters to level 32 at least.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I beat Zelda: Minish Cap for the second time today. I could have beaten it a few weeks ago, but I've been nursing on it and only playing at work during my break, so I'll have something to play on my GBA. Today I got to the final boss and decided to finish him off at home so I could start playing Mega Man Zero while at work, instead. I'm going to go back and 100% this playthrough of Minish Cap sometime, though.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it´s incredile how i lose on this game.......
28lat5j.png

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
So a few days ago I sat down to finally beat the original The Legend of Zelda on NES, which I was halfway through a playthrough of, only to find that my save data got erased. I double checked the saving ability and it still worked, so I thought it was a fluke, and started again. After randomly losing the data again today, I gave up and decided to play the Wii U virtual console version instead.

I ended up beating it in one day (took me 8 hours, according to my play log) with 100% completion. Thing is, I definitely used the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough for most of it, as well as save states for the harder parts toward the end (though I forced myself to not use them every second).

Generally I'm opposed to just playing an entire game from a walkthrough or while using save states, but I had already beaten half the game without it before, and frankly the game felt impossible otherwise. I understand the game was from a different time, and I love a game with a ridiculous difficulty setting, but even I have my limits.

The game is absolutely archaic by modern standards (putting required secrets in places where no one could ever possibly know to look without accidentally stumbling on it, etc), and most of the difficulty and "punishment" for failing is just artificial lengthening of the game with monotonous tasks. Id est, die in the last dungeon? Sucks for you, you have to start at the beginning with all the enemies respawned and only three hearts. If you want more, you're going to have to find a hidden potion shop. Oh, you don't have enough rupees to buy a potion? Fuck you, you're going to have to grind for 68 rupees, have fun (a process which can easily take 30 minutes or more, considering how rarely enemies actually drop anything compared to newer games).

In the end, i didn't enjoy myself that much (probably the least I've enjoyed a Zelda game, honestly), but I'm glad I played and beat it, if only to get it over with. Now to complete my playthrough of the entire series, I just need to beat Zelda II and Four Swords Adventures. Then I'll be all ready for A Link Between Worlds' release this November! :D
Awesome, be prepared for Zelda 2. Maybe it's just me but I found it to be the most difficult game in the entire series. I recently beat it earlier this year for the first time and had some difficulty. Anyways have fun on your Zelda Quest.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, be prepared for Zelda 2. Maybe it's just me but I found it to be the most difficult game in the entire series. I recently beat it earlier this year for the first time and had some difficulty. Anyways have fun on your Zelda Quest.
I beat the first palace last night, actually. It's certainly harder (no way I would've gotten through it without restore points). Not quite sure whether I like it better or not, thus far.

Reactions: Maxternal

Flood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Started playing Pokemon Ruby Destiny Life of Guardians and stopped playing Pokemon Rijon because it wouldn't save.
So far this game is really fun except for the fact that you keep running back and forth to the same places. The low payouts actually make you bond with your pokemon because its expensive to buy pokeballs. Could go without the fake pokemon though. Music is great.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Beat... Wind Waker HD (without a single death) today.
Did you play in regular or Hero Mode? I did a no-death run on the GameCube version last year. I would've done it again just about a month back, except I stupidly forgot that I had potions and not fairies during the Molgera fight in the boss gauntlet, so I died once. :(

Though it wasn't a no-death run, I fared much better in my HD hero mode run, not needing to use a single potion against the boss either time, which makes me feel better about myself. :P

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you play in regular or Hero Mode? I did a no-death run on the GameCube version last year. I would've done it again just about a month back, except I stupidly forgot that I had potions and not fairies during the Molgera fight in the boss gauntlet, so I died once. :(

Though it wasn't a no-death run, I fared much better in my HD hero mode run, not needing to use a single potion against the boss either time, which makes me feel better about myself. :P
I feel for you, to die just before the end sucks. I did it on Hero mode with just one bottle (containing a fairy most of the time) and no potions. None of the bosses managed to get a single hit in (I love the ability to walk and use items that use the first person view at the same time, it made fighting most bosses easy). The only times I can remember being in danger of dying was when I was fighting mobs of normal enemies (the earth temple 'miniboss' (wizzrobe) for example, I let the fight drag on for a little too long and he summoned a lot of enemies. That's when things got hectic :P).

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Just finished Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, the last boss was tough, used all of my powerful weapons but still had 1/4 of the life bar to go, so I elaborated a perfect plan of use the low power/rapid fire weapons first(magma combuster and doom blades) and then jump to the most powerful weapons(fusion bombs, plasma stalkers, raptor launcher, judicator and alpha cannon) while spawning toxic swarmers during all the fight and in the final stretch launch groovitons to minimize damage. and with that I'm done with the future trilogy(more like 2.5-logy, Quest for Booty is too short), one of these days I'm gonna grab a copy of Ratchet & Clank HD Collection to play the original trilogy and I'm planning on buying R&C Size Matters to play it on my Vita, I already played that but pirated on my PSPgo and want to give it another try. I'm waiting anxiously for R&C Into the Nexus that comes the next month.
Aaaarrrgrhrhhrgasadkjsdkflasjdflas...... I wanted to buy the 3DS XL with the design of Pokemon Y but last time I checked online the store that had it says that is out of stock. checked another store that also had it listed but don't mentioned anything about his stock so I went to the store to check and they said that the'll have it around this week, I just hope they have it before saturday to play Pokemon Y on that sexy 3DS XL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: nvm this video is clickbait