Hacking What can I do with the Gateway exploit without a Gateway Red Card?

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Already put the Launcher.dat file in the SD Card, backuping sysNAND :P

So umm I won't be getting a Gateway soon enough, maybe in a month, so what can I do with Gateway without the red card? I can only make backups of games and the sysNAND, right?

Also, if I put a .cia file (I don't know what a .cia file is exactly ._.) in the SD Card, do I need to boot in Gateway mode?

HELPMEPLEASEOMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need a Gateway card to downgrade?

I've been reading the Gateway blog and they say it's kinda dangerous, do you really want me to do this? :\
Do it buddy. It's totally safe.

And no, you don't need a GW red card. They just don't want people using the exploit they've created for free.

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do it buddy. It's totally safe.

Okay then... and well if it works, I can boot into Gateway mode without the red card blablabla right?

And well, what are cia files exactly? eShop apps?

I hope this turns out worth it downgrading... what are the advantages of going to 4.5 instead of staying on 9.2?

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Theoretically, wouldn't one be able to downgrade from 9.2 to 4.5 and use a 9.4 emunand to access up-to-date .cia files?
not without gateway think you dont need through. most cia are patched to work on 4.5 too.
For 4.5 speak the cfw which mostly voids the need for gateway as long as you find patched cia.
cia = package of eshop games. They are also headerless unlike 3ds rom files and are said to be safer for online play cause of this.

HELPMEPLEASEOMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay then... and well if it works, I can boot into Gateway mode without the red card blablabla right?

And well, what are cia files exactly? eShop apps?

I hope this turns out worth it downgrading... what are the advantages of going to 4.5 instead of staying on 9.2?

.cia files are eshop apps, DLC, full games, etc. They're basically .3ds/z files that you can place on your home menu.
Not gonna bother explaining the advantages of 4.5 over 9.2. You should be able to read about that stuff in the main GW threads. Lyl.

Sansheng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do I need a Gateway card to downgrade?

I've been reading the Gateway blog and they say it's kinda dangerous, do you really want me to do this? :\

It's fast and quick
Take the 3DS SD card and insert it into your computer
Download 3.0.1 gateway launcher file and the downgrade file from their site depending on your region from their site
put these files in the root of your sd card, i.e x://
next clear all the cookies and data from your browser
restart browser
go to go.gateway-3ds.com
it will boot into gateway mode
press the right arrows and choose backup your nand to your sd card
next close the 3ds and reinsert the sd card into your computer
backup the nand.bin which is 1gb
reinsert the sdcard into your 3ds and launch the gateway through the browser exploit again
go to the last option at the last and choose downgrade

you should be safe and sound as far as I know unless your battery dies out

HELPMEPLEASEOMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fast and quick
Download 3.0.1 gateway launcher file and the downgrade file from their site depending on your region from their site
restart browser
go to go.gateway-3ds.com
reinsert the sdcard into your 3ds and launch the gateway through the browser exploit again

Pretty much this. Of course, you'll only be able to play 4.5 compatible .cia files (So that means no new games like Smash, think early 2014 and back, games such as Luigis Mansion and OoT.)

That is for now at least. Who knows? The 3DS scene is taking off quickly, so we might see an improved version of the CFW in the coming weeks or months

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's fast and quick
restart browser
go to go.gateway-3ds.com

Which EU file am I supposed to pick? There are like 3 and I don't understand very well. Reading this thread atm https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-downgrading.378195/ but I still don't get it.

My 3DS is on 9.2.0-20E, should I pick the one in the thread? Sorry for being annoying lol

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uhh, is it supposed that, if I go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com on the 3DS, to launch the Gateway launcher, a page "Gateway 3DS Loading . . ." appears and then the browser closes, complaining that "An error ocurred. Please turn off your 3DS"

I'm replacing the Launcher.dat file to see if my 3DS just glitched out all of a sudden :|

desertwarior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Not without a Gateway card. Downgrading is fine, but you can't access emuNAND (and therefore can't install .cia files) without a Gateway card.

you can with the leaked CFW , all you need is a regular DS cart , it's extremely buggy and limted not to mentioned very hard to install in the first place ,,too many steps.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you can with the leaked CFW , all you need is a regular DS cart , it's extremely buggy and limted not to mentioned very hard to install in the first place ,,too many steps.
Yeah, I didn't even think it was worth mentioning, due to the reasons you listed.

There's no comparison between it and what Gateway offers. Hopefully we'll have a viable alternative in the not too distant future.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
You cant do it because the red card needs updating to v3.01 ultra before you can downgrade your 3DS. I don't think you can downgrade a 3DS without the update the browser hack wont work either without the red card inserted first if you haven't already updated. Once you have ran the update your fine to access the browser hack anytime.

Edit: if it was that easy to do know one would bother buying a Gateway card, they would just run the browser hack downgrade and use the CFW for free!

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cant do it because the red card needs updating to v3.01 ultra before you can downgrade your 3DS. I don't think you can downgrade a 3DS without the update the browser hack wont work either without the red card inserted first if you haven't already updated. Once you have ran the update your fine to access the browser hack anytime.

Its funny how I used the browser hack with out a red card (i don't own one) and then downgraded my zelda 3ds xl to 4.1 then updated to 4.5 with ACNL all with out the help of red card.

It is that that easy to do and half of every one on here is using the CFW for free!

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Its funny how I used the browser hack with out a red card (i don't own one) and then downgraded my zelda 3ds xl to 4.1 then updated to 4.5 with ACNL all with out the help of red card.

Seems you can then, I'm wrong I would of thought GW would of sorted that I mean if you can downgrade a 3DS without a red GW card then whats the point in buying one you can then just use the devmenu with CFW. I find it hard to believe GW would create such a great way of downgrading any 3DS console and not bother locking the method down, it seems pointless hard work on there behalf!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night