What can cfw do that oothax can't

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Failrunner, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Failrunner
    OP

Failrunner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    United States
    I'm wondering if I should care about a new cfw. I don't care about playing 3DS roms. I'm on 10.6.0-31U. I have been researching and it only confuses me more because everything I read is different. Asking on a forum is a last resort. I was hoping to find a cfw vs. exploit thread or something.

2. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    OOTHax: Homebrew only
    CFW: Homebrew, ability to install any game/patch/DLC, cheats, etc.

3. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Even if you wanted to use CFW, you can't. At least with out a hard mod and about 5 hours to spare.

4. Failrunner
    OP

Failrunner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    United States
    I know I can't now. I'm assuming somebody will come up with a new exploit or no? Everything that was mentioned you can do with cfw I don't care about but I love hacking consoles and devices so I would do it anyways. Lol.

5. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    It doesn't work like that. You don't just, "come up with an exploit." Vulnerabilities are VERY hard to come by, and even once you've found one, its still extremely difficult and requires hours upon hours of work.

axemurderer likes this.
  6. Failrunner
    OP

Failrunner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    United States
    I saw a YouTube video about using a tool to hack the latest firmware. That's why I said that. I know there's no finger snapping magic. Lol. I'm surprised anyone would do this for free.

7. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Or years to accomplish like the very first exploit for the 3ds (gateway mset).

8. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Saint Holy Sword Dragon

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    homebrew only uses the arm11 userland mode, which means poor perfomance in emulators unless you are using a new 3ds. A cfw not only let you install games, but since you need to be in a lower firmware it takes advantage of the arm9/11 kernel which means emulators will run better (not that much if you have an o3ds) and you can have access to almost everything.

correct me if im wrong :v

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 4, 2016
  9. Failrunner
    OP

Failrunner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    United States
    I have the n3ds and besides a few glitches in the SNES sound and slowdown with Starfox they work great. I did hear that before though. I wish there was a comparison vid of that on YouTube. If it becomes possible to load cfw at all I have to do that.

10. Salamencizer

Salamencizer Handsome Computer Nerd

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    That might be possible for browser vulns/home menu vulns, They come up all the time. But NOT for vulns which could give kernel access. After 9.3 update, where Nintendo didn't patch memchunkhax properly, I don't think they are gonna make the same mistake again.
    OOT3DHax can give only homebrew access, but you will have to start oot everytime you want homebrew. But in CFW, with the correct cia files, you can have homebrew as well as games which you have not purchased directly in your home menu.
    And also there is no reason to update to the next firmware version unless you wanna go online/ have a super duper stable system, so stable that it can be home to ninety nine trillion trillion trillion trillion horses.

Last edited by Salamencizer, Mar 4, 2016
  11. Failrunner
    OP

Failrunner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like the Vita x 1000. Very stable. ;) Unfortunately I have this undying love for updates no matter. I hope I can restrain myself. =(

12. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I my be interpreting your comment wrong, but with cfw, you can update your emunand to the latest firmware.

13. dollerbill

dollerbill Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    United States
    Is it possible to use oothax to access the homebrew launcher, then install a custom firmware from there?

I just recently purchased an o3dsXL running 10.7, so it looks like my easiest (or cheapest) option is to use oothax. But after that am I able to downgrade to 9.2 and install a CFW?

14. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yes.

samiam144 likes this.
  15. dollerbill

dollerbill Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, thank you!

And I can do this from within homebrew launcher, I presume? Then by downgrading to 9.2 I will no longer need to run the Oot exploit?

16. Tsuku

Tsuku Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Poland
    Yes, downgrading with sysUpdater that You can install from homebrew menu, after that you dont need oothax

dollerbill likes this.
  17. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yeah basically what @Tsuku said. You downgrade using sysupdater which can be accessed through the homebrew menu. Once you reach 9.2, you can install a CIA that allows access to the homebrew menu. Still keep Oot around as you don't know if you'll ever need it though.

dollerbill likes this.
  18. dollerbill

dollerbill Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, thanks a lot, guys! I'll poke around and read more about the downgrading process

Just Passing By likes this.
  19. SkyChotik

SkyChotik Well-known Member

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Lol resurrecting a month old thread to confirm a question.

astronautlevel likes this.
  20. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    Nothing has changed.