What are you reading/have read lately?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Cryoburn, the latest title in the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's fun.
yay.gif

smile.gif

frown.gif

sad.gif

cry.gif

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
sinharvest24 said:
Sounds like a One Piece fan boy to me
I don't read One Piece but i watch the anime (just started a few weeks ago and i'm still pretty far behind)
I would have included One Piece but i don't/haven't read it yet
as for Naruto, good art?!? i mostly read manga for a good story/excitement and Naruto seems to be fulfilling it's task of having a really good story. (apart from the gayness that naruto wants to do to sasuke)
Bleach on the other hand, too slow? What do you mean by that? Bleach doesn't have a strong story but i always like a good fight and it's got the most awesome characters i've ever seen in an anime/manga. If it's art you're looking for bleach got it
smile.gif

NO WAY DID YOU CALL FAIRY TAIL A WANNABE!!!!!!! GHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

I happen to enjoy Fairy Tail more than any other manga. Fairy Tail is the only manga that i have read and gives me chills every 2-3 chapters. Great story, lots of excitement. What's there to hate in Fairy Tail?

I will try your Berserk, i am always open to great manga.

Definitely a One Piece fanboy
yay.gif

And I really think it is worth reading over watching, the anime is more kid-oriented. But a lot of people I know also love the anime, so it might just be me...
Naruto, well, I dunno... I thought it started out great, but over time it's just lost it's shine. I'd compare it to Harry Potter, it's got lots of fans, but several of the installments have been bashed by critics, and for good reasons (I was a fan for sure). I think there are a lot of Manga's that are better than Naruto, but I also think a weekly 20 pages of Naruto is fine as well.
Bleach... I just think the story doesn't progress as fast as it should, and the fights drag on for too long. A friend of mine, studying sequential art, pointed out how much of the content of each page is white. Literally a page might be totally white, with a single sound effect on it... lazy artist? I stopped following it a while ago, so I might not be the best of critics.
Fairy Tail: Okay, I might've been wrong calling it a wannabe. But, it just follows the shounen formula a little too closely, and it's like it's afraid to do anything new, or take risks... It's got very distinct arcs, and within the arcs it's got all the twists and turns, and drama, but looking at the story as a whole... not much happens. Character development? Eh, barely... I still do read it weekly, and it's definitely entertaining, but I also realize that it's got plenty of flaws. Again though, personal opinion.
Great if you do try reading Berserk! The anime is also great, and recommended, although it stops short (at a pretty critical moment), and to continue the story, reading the manga is the only way.

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Nov 13 2010, 10:26 AM) Wow. The whole thread is about telling people what you are reading, not to judge other tempers' tastes in reading material. So learn some manners and shut the hell up!
Wow to you too... I did say what I was reading, or have recently read, so I was on topic. And I thought I made it pretty clear that I was expressing my own opinion when I stated it was a rant, therefore not strictly judging. It might've rubbed-of as somewhat harsh, so I do apologize, I just wanted to add what I thought about this recommendation (and in the process, adding my own recommendations). If it's manners you want, don't you think it's a little ironic that you are telling me to "shut the hell up"? Sigh... if other tempers agree that I should shut up, I will do so. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong though
unsure.gif

Currently reading: Java documents. Fun stuff
biggrin.gif

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Y05h1 said:
Shinigami357 said:
Wow. The whole thread is about telling people what you are reading, not to judge other tempers' tastes in reading material. So learn some manners and shut the hell up!
Wow to you too... I did say what I was reading, or have recently read, so I was on topic. And I thought I made it pretty clear that I was expressing my own opinion when I stated it was a rant, therefore not strictly judging. It might've rubbed-of as somewhat harsh, so I do apologize, I just wanted to add what I thought about this recommendation (and in the process, adding my own recommendations). If it's manners you want, don't you think it's a little ironic that you are telling me to "shut the hell up"? Sigh... if other tempers agree that I should shut up, I will do so. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong though
unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

See? This is the reason why we shouldn't allow airhead fanboy punks the power to use the interwebs. Sure, bash everything and say it's just "your opinion". [sarcasm]Yeah, because your opinion is valuable.[/sarcasm]

BTW, in case you didn't notice, all the other tempers are content to just post what they read, not their opinions, because that's what the thread is about. If you want to rage bout the other manga, use the blogs.

PS
All I've been reading lately is the Rune Factory 3 script. That game is eating up my time, hahahahaha.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have read lately:

Various manga ;p
Lee Child - Gone Tomorrow (brilliant book)
The Godfather
Harry Potter 7 - Audiobook (for in the train ;o)

Reading at this moment:
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (couldnt have guessed that aye!)

Going to read pretty soon:
3rd book in the Star Wars: Darth Bane series when I can FINALLY get it somewhere online

BionicC

Trophies
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
Y05h1 said:
Shinigami357 said:
Wow. The whole thread is about telling people what you are reading, not to judge other tempers' tastes in reading material. So learn some manners and shut the hell up!
unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

See? This is the reason why we shouldn't allow airhead fanboy punks the power to use the interwebs. Sure, bash everything and say it's just "your opinion". [sarcasm]Yeah, because your opinion is valuable.[/sarcasm]

BTW, in case you didn't notice, all the other tempers are content to just post what they read, not their opinions, because that's what the thread is about. If you want to rage bout the other manga, use the blogs.

Also: you guys are arguing about COMICS. Just putting that out there.

I don't see why this thread can't include discussion though.

So the last book I read was David Nicholls' "One Day", and I liked it a lot. It starts with Emma and Dexter talking in bed on 15th July, the night of their graduation from university, then revisits them on 15th July over subsequent years, looking at their lives and their relationship with each other. It's often laugh-out-loud funny and, y'know, kinda moving in its own right. If books about the L-word (NOT "lesbian", and not "lesbians" either) usually send you running for the comforting embrace of a 900-page sci-fi epic then you might not enjoy this, but don't write it off as chick-lit because it totally isn't.

Current book: "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen. I really enjoyed his book "The Corrections", and so far this seems similarly good.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BionicC said:
Also: you guys are arguing about COMICS. Just putting that out there.

Huh? Comics - or in this case, manga - are contemporary forms of art that is accessible to the everyday man. It deserves a place in these literary discussions as much as shakespeare's work (ok, uh, maybe not that high). LOL!

mobung

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius.

I normally don't read biographies, but this one is pretty good. It also helps that Tesla is a badass and I am a geek.

Aogu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Age of Revolutions, Hobsbawn
Pity of War, Niall Ferguson
On Immigration and Refuges, Dummet

All great non-fiction reads. Read them!

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just read The Book of Skulls yesterday. In short, the novel was unnerving, and that's saying something considering I don't get unnerved by most horror novels.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...