What are the browsers that GBAtemp visitors use most?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm arguing with the notion that Microsoft did not abuse their monopoly position to neuter Netscape, because that is precisely what the courts decided, thanks to leaked memos and all. It's no surprise that a company with no money doesn't innovate. By the end of the trial, Netscape had nothing to do with what it was.
I didn't infer that notion. AOL, then one of the biggest Internet companies in the world, purchased Netscape Communications in 1999, a around two years before the trial ended; to say they had "no money" would be naive at best. Netscape open-sourced their code for NN around the same time, which eventually became the base for Mozilla Firefox. Development of NN was given to a third-party company and, instead of being rescued by AOL and used as the primary browser that came with their coastersinstall discs, it was cast aside.

My point is and was that you can't wholly attribute the downfall of Netscape Navigator to IE (even if Wikipedia says otherwise). Opera lived through the browser wars and is still going strong. Firefox gained market share despite IE's stranglehold.

We're drifting even further off topic here, but OOXML is formally standardized as Ecma-376. It's an open format that anyone can implement and use, so how can you liken that to their antitrust tactics during the browser wars? Microsoft Office 2007 and later also support opening and saving files as the competing standard, Open Document Format. Users are even asked which format they want to use as the default when an Office application launches for the first time. Hardly up to their old tricks! I don't understand what you're saying with the "mixed features between the xbox and windows" argument, either.

Perhaps the bad rep IE 6 had has something to do with my bias.

IE 6's bad rep is due to IE 6 being bad. Nobody is disputing that, but people seem to be forgetting that we're at IE 11 now, with IE 12 just around the corner.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
What Microsoft have done with IE isn't that bad; but I'll never forgive them for neutering OpenGL support in Windows Vista.

Personally I love Firefox, more specifically Cyberfox which is just an optimised 64bit build.

The real problem I have with other browsers is that I just want a browser with no bullshit; I don't want you to remember my history, remember my passwords, cache the pages or images that I view, or report my activity to anyone. I just want a plain browser with everything which doesn't render pages (I keep JavaScript and images enabled) disabled, and adblock installed too.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Firefox for plug-ins and I love the nasa night launch theme. Perhaps others are better right now in some aspects, but Firefox works fine for what I use it for.
I do recommend Boat browser for Android. I have tried many browsers for extended periods of time including the popular ones like Dolphin, but I also return to Boat. It is the best and most convenient Android browser on the market in my opinion.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't posted here in a loooooooooong time but saw this news and thought I'd chip in with some other GBAtemp browser stats I've collected from the GBAtemp speedwave [click] I started.

70rHkGk.jpg

Quite a way off your stats Costello, but it's interesting to consider what the results show.

1) My results are mostly from a year or two ago as the main source is from my signature I believe, and due to my lack of presence fewer recent tests. This possibly indicates a transition from Firefox to Chrome???

2) Your statistics are from all visitors I believe(?), whereas those using the speedwave are more likely to be active members of the temp. Though this is only an assumption.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few years ago (say 5 years) I think IE users were just lazy.
To be still using such crap in 2014, I think they are a few cards short of a full deck.

And anyone using BING on IE .... must be a Micro$oft employee.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be still using such crap in 2014, I think they are a few cards short of a full deck.

Or using a work/school/college computer.

I use IE11 pretty much exclusively, and I wouldn't say I'm missing any cards.

I also use Bing as my default search engine - I feel it gives far better results for general queries. I do switch to Google for specific, code related searches, however.

Also, I would like to point out that Google has intentionally broken most of their services for IE users. Google Docs drops out randomly, YouTube is F'ed in the A, and search results on Google create a redirect loop that's impossible to break - you can't go back to the search results once you've clicked on something. If that's not monopolistic practices, I don't know what is.

Google has consistently displayed nothing but hate towards Microsoft, as well as the desire to completely destroy them. Larry Page actually ranted on about it during his keynote at Google I/O last year, which I thought was rather unprofessional.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

Lazy has nothing to do with it. Some people just don't need to go out and find another browser. IE 11 will render web pages the same as Chrome or Firefox, and is outperforming Chrome 30, Firefox 25 and Opera 17 in the WebKit SunSpider tests. IE 11 also had plenty of positive reviews, with most reviews that deliver ratings giving it 4 or more stars.

To be still bearing a childish grudge and insulting its user base in 2014, I think you're a few cards short of a full deck. Your hate is simply a reverberation of all the hate IE got several years ago, you're not even expressing your own thoughts and opinions. And that's kind of pathetic.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna go out on a limb and say you haven't bothered to use Internet Explorer in a long time.

Once you experience something as bad as Internet Explorer 5.5/6.0, it sort of leaves this vomit/diarrhea/semen taste behind, and it leaves quite an impression. "Once a turd, always a turd". I don't care what new theme and version number they stick on IE, it's STILL IE! Case in point.

I used to be a Firefox user, until it got super bloated in 3.5, so I switched to Chrome, and haven't looked back. :) I love how it integrates seamlessly with my Android phone, syncs my bookmarks, and is fast as fuck. I keep the latest Firefox installed and up to date, as a backup. Also, sometimes Chrome has a bad habit of not letting me check out properly from e-tailers, so Firefox is where I shop online. And if you browse without Adblock Plus in whatever browser you are using, then you deserve all the ads you see. (The one with ABP in the stop sign icon, not that fake alternative with the hand in the stop sign)

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Haven't posted here in a loooooooooong time but saw this news and thought I'd chip in with some other GBAtemp browser stats I've collected from the GBAtemp speedwave [click] I started.

70rHkGk.jpg

Quite a way off your stats Costello, but it's interesting to consider what the results show.

1) My results are mostly from a year or two ago as the main source is from my signature I believe, and due to my lack of presence fewer recent tests. This possibly indicates a transition from Firefox to Chrome???

2) Your statistics are from all visitors I believe(?), whereas those using the speedwave are more likely to be active members of the temp. Though this is only an assumption.

the stats I posted are from Google Analytics site-wide

and it's worth noting that signatures don't show for guest users, so your stats are valid only for registered users which are viewing threads in which you posted (so relevant to your interests)

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be still bearing a childish grudge and insulting its user base in 2014, I think you're a few cards short of a full deck.
#1) IE is inferior.
#2) Microsoft only has marketshare because they bundle their inferior product with windows.
#3) Microsoft has a terrible track record with browsers. Good for you your memory is short.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
#1) IE is inferior.
#2) Microsoft only has marketshare because they bundle their inferior product with windows.
#3) Microsoft has a terrible track record with browsers. Good for you your memory is short.
My memory is just fine, thanks; as a web developer I'm grateful for Microsoft's effort to keep up with the advancements in web technologies (it makes my job easier), and commend them for at least trying to get away from their previous reputation.

I guess I can't really argue with ignorance. Clearly you're just unwilling to accept the facts; you won't to take the time to visit the links that I posted and consider the points that I made because your mind was made up a long time ago, before any recent version of IE. I feel a little bit sorry for you that your nature is to hold silly grudges against such pointless things.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a web developer I'm grateful for Microsoft's effort to keep up with the advancements in web technologies (it makes my job easier), and commend them for at least trying to get away from their previous reputation.

Microsoft making web developers job easier ?
I've heard it all now.
How long have you been web developing ? 2 weeks ?
Every web developer I've heard discuss Microsoft in the last 10 years has said they need to write specific extra code to get things to work with Microsoft's terrible browser.
IE marketshare continues to plummet despite illegal bundling of the browser with the OS.

I'll admit (I've already said) I am biased about IE. I only use it when I have no choice.
But to say IE is good for web developers ? Well ... that's just plain incorrect.
He who does not know history, is doomed to repeat it.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Microsoft making web developers job easier ?
I've heard it all now.
How long have you been web developing ? 2 weeks ?
Every web developer I've heard discuss Microsoft in the last 10 years has said they need to write specific extra code to get things to work with Microsoft's terrible browser.
IE marketshare continues to plummet despite illegal bundling of the browser with the OS.

I'll admit (I've already said) I am biased about IE. I only use it when I have no choice.
But to say IE is good for web developers ? Well ... that's just plain incorrect.
He who does not know history, is doomed to repeat it.

You're still generalising, which just proves you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. You refer to just "IE" and not IE 10/11, the last 10 years (which covers IE 6-11), and completely ignore what I'm saying.

Every cutting edge version of the mainstream web browsers have differences, you will need to tweak and write specific extra code for them all. The developers all make separate decisions regarding the priority of new features, and they all have minor bugs that can break code that appears to be correct. Sure, if you want to write code to support IE 6 in this day and age, you're going to need to do a significant amount of leg work. What I'm saying that you don't seem to understand is that Internet Explorer 10 and 11 and future releases will render web sites very similar to competing browsers, with no more tweaks required than getting a website to work the same in Chrome as in Firefox. This is the effort Microsoft are making, which does make web developers' jobs easier.

I didn't say "IE [was] good for web developers", so now you're putting words in my mouth. I did imply that IE 11 was good for web developers, and it is. Without improvements to Internet Explorer's code base we'd all be stuck trying to write code for outdated technology 10 years from now, but Microsoft are minimising the likelihood of that by keeping up with the latest web standards in its new releases.

Internet Explorer 11, in particular, made efforts to support non-standard and future standards features, particularly in the JavaScript engine with ECMAScript harmony features such as WeakMap, __proto__, let and const block scoping and more. We've also seen shorter release cycles between IE 9, 10 and 11 compared with 6, 7 and 8.

If you want to keep ignoring the facts that I'm posting and responding with bias and ignorance, then I guess that's your prerogative. Negativity is just a way of life for some people. ;)

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Chrome for PC, Chrome/Dolphin for tablet/phone. I'm using chrome mostly because of it's easy sync. between all my devices but on mobile platforms dolphin feels more smooth for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?