Gaming Misc What are some terrible game design decisions in various video games?

GAPMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are some of the most questionable game design decisions in various video games? They can be older video games to modern video games.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
  • In Romancing SaGa 1 the story progresses by the amount of battles you have fought instead of completting missions, so you can miss a lot of missions if you get in too much battles.
  • In The Simpsons' NES games both running and jumping are mapped to the A button.

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
Sun glare in every game that uses it. To add to that, overly dark sections that are there just to cover up shit graphics.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
microtransactions.freemium,games as a service i could go on and go on....

greed and those guys with suits and ties have ruined gaming YES IM LOOKING AT YOU JIM RYAN ! i miss the days where a handfull of people create something special but dev studios today only hiring fresh of college students with no brain to do crunchtime and to pay less and less most of them couldnt even do a GOOOD rpg maker game

what about games gettin expensive? yeah sure told that ur grandma the profit margins doesnt lie

F the coorporate world and remember kids pirating is always the right way to go !

Reactions: Ligeia

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Catching rides and node setups in UT3.

See, ut2004 had onslaught, a game of connect the dots that introduced vehicles in first persoon shooters. The only real flaw in the design was that bases connected to the nearest dot through a single node. Meaning: coming back after one team took that down was nigh impossible, because soon the others had the whole map and vehicles. Further excarbated by the fact that small vehicles could transport people on top.
The solution: most community releases had two dots from the main base, making matches far more dynamic.

UT3 did away with the transport method and have everyone a hoverboard and a way to latch behind vehicles. Meaning: you fell at every sharp turn, you couldn't fire or even properly look around. A single enemy hit sent you ragsolling (so an easy kill).
They kept the single node setup. But they added some asymmetric maps because i have no clue why. The mode was so terrible it's beyond comedy bad.

The worst part: whenever someone now says 'fuck epic', it's not because of that, it's not because unreal 2 was anything but unreal 1...it's because they dislike a certain popular game or a wannabe steam store.

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hyrule Warriors running at 1080p on the Switch in handheld mode.

If I remember correctly, there is a 720p mod available but the UI doesn't scale properly which indicates the team Keoi Tecmo decided to save money by not recreating the interface for handheld mode.

Reactions: emcintosh

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Pokemon Let's Go. Finally get a Gen 1 remake and they remove battling wild pokemon and force catching using Go mechanics, also to gain exp. Such a shame.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playing Fire Emblem Three Houses Dimtri's route. he turn's into a total douche after the first half when seeing a father type figure getting kill for no reason which could of stopped by the Byleth. he turn's back to normal self. trust me i thought i would hated Edelgard's true route but that was better then DImtir's route that's for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.