netaware

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the noobie question, but I just would like to understand this a little better.
What are cIOS and IOS. What do they do and how can I tell what versions are on my Wii.
What do they have to do with Wii updates?

Thanks for your responses.

homerjsimpson

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great, i needed to know that too!!

I have another question of my own :

Can someone explain the difference between the high numbers and the low numbers in the ios?

ex :

IOS247 and IOS249
VS
IOS36, IOS37, IOS50 etc...

And how can I know for sure what revision of update I have on my wii?
I know I'm at 3.3U but i'm not sure if I'm on rev1 or rev2.
I thought I was on rev2 but then again, I managed to install Waninkoko's Custom IOS36 rev 7 whitout any hastle.

Thanks

homerjsimpson

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So if I get this right

I installed

cIOS36v7 on top of IOS249?

Q1:
Why didn't I just install cIOS36v7 on top of IOS36??

Q2:
What's the difference vs
cIOS36 and IOS249??

Q3:
If IOS249 is a patched version of IOS36, why isn't it called cIOS249 ??

I'm a bit confused with all those numbers..!!?!

Thanks for your patience

aymeric106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
homerjsimpson said:
So if I get this right

I installed

Q1:

You don't wan't to modify the official IOS36 that is used by the wii system or games, do you ? Leave it as it is !

QUOTE said:
Q2:
What's the difference vs
cIOS36 and IOS249??

None, cIOS36 (=patched IOS36) is installed with the number IOS249 on the WII. It's just an index.

Q3:
Because it means 'customized version of IOS36'

Perhaps you could ask ... why do I install a custom IOS on my wii (say cIOS36) ?

Because, when you create a software or a game for the wii, you have to specify what IOS version it will use.

Now, say you wan't to create a software that read a DVD-R on you wii. You can't because official Nintendo IOSes won't let you do that.

The only way to do this is to take an official IOS (IOS36 if you wan't), patch it to read DVD-R and install it as IOS249

Now, you can create your software, specifying it will use IOS249, et voilà, you can read DVD-R on your Wii, without touching the official Nintendo system.

fruitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i run video dvds on the wii using the latest cios and gamma loader? one thing i HAVENT done with my wii yet is watch a dvd
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
fruitman said:
can i run video dvds on the wii using the latest cios and gamma loader? one thing i HAVENT done with my wii yet is watch a dvd
smile.gif

Yes, but actually you don't need a cIOS for do that, just install DVDx app and the Player for DVD (don't remember the name), it apears on the Homebrew Browser..!!
smile.gif

fruitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madtamski said:
edit @fruitman, where did that question come from, and what has it to do with this thread?

i read you need a CIOS to watch dvds, i was wondering the question i asked. what are you a mod?

fruitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
fruitman said:
smile.gif

Yes, but actually you don't need a cIOS for do that, just install DVDx app and the Player for DVD (don't remember the name), it apears on the Homebrew Browser..!!
smile.gif

thank-you kind sir.

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aymeric106 said:
homerjsimpson said:
So if I get this right

I installed

Q1:

You don't wan't to modify the official IOS36 that is used by the wii system or games, do you ? Leave it as it is !

QUOTE said:
Q2:
What's the difference vs
cIOS36 and IOS249??

None, cIOS36 (=patched IOS36) is installed with the number IOS249 on the WII. It's just an index.

Q3:
Because it means 'customized version of IOS36'

Perhaps you could ask ... why do I install a custom IOS on my wii (say cIOS36) ?

Because, when you create a software or a game for the wii, you have to specify what IOS version it will use.

Now, say you wan't to create a software that read a DVD-R on you wii. You can't because official Nintendo IOSes won't let you do that.

The only way to do this is to take an official IOS (IOS36 if you wan't), patch it to read DVD-R and install it as IOS249

Now, you can create your software, specifying it will use IOS249, et voilà, you can read DVD-R on your Wii, without touching the official Nintendo system.

I asked this question a few weeks back, never got a clearer answer than that! thanks!!!
gbasp.gif

JaapDraad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This thread certainly clears things up.
I woild like to confirm something tough:
If I'm understanding this right a cIOS is only required for certain Homebrew apps.
And if a game (more specifically: the retail version of Guitar Hero World Tour) requires IOS37, it is useless to install cIOS37.
Am I right?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
JaapDraad said:
This thread certainly clears things up.
I woild like to confirm something tough:
If I'm understanding this right a cIOS is only required for certain Homebrew apps.
And if a game (more specifically: the retail version of Guitar Hero World Tour) requires IOS37, it is useless to install cIOS37.
Am I right?

If a game requires a certain IOS this could mean 2 different things.

Zelda for example "requires" IOS9, well it wants IOS9. If you start it from the disc channel, the disc channel loads IOS9 for the game. But it will run with most IOS or cIOS if they are installed at position IOS9. If you start it with a loader, the game is started with the IOS the loader started.
Rock Band for example requires IOS37. The disc channel will load the IOS or cIOS installed as IOS37 for the game, but the usb instruments will only work if the usb instrument drivers from IOS37 are integrated in the IOS installed as IOS37. The game will work with both an nintendo IOS37 and a cIOS37.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...