Misc What´s just wrong with my WFC???

falloutds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got M3 Real DS and i was very happy to be able now to go on the internet now with my ds by Hobro, ds aim andsoon...
But now i had to relize, that all this is not such easy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIcIXQMpPc
Watch the vid:

Wifi woks with all other games like pokemon pearl, but not with homebrew thing, even diagnoSE´s test failed. I thinkt it suck at the point to authorise, but i´ver even once tried it without firewall, wep etc. and i´m sitting next to the acces Point.
Ihope GBATemp community will help me!!!
unsure.gif

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
What settings do you have for your WFC? If everything is auto-detected that may be your problem as I had to assign all the IP and gateway stuff myself to get it working.
Heres what you can do (this is assuming you use a wireless router otherwise let me know and I'll try and help):
- Go to a game supporting WFC and go to the Wi-Fi connection setup.
- Do auto-detect to get the name (SSID) and put in the WEP key (if you have protection which you should) and so on.
*(Just so you know the DS will not support WPA encryption, only WEP. WPA is more secure than WEP and may block some things the DS requires to access Wi-Fi being the reason it will not work. Basically, if you have a wireless router that is using WPA encryption as opposed to WEP, you will not be able to connect your DS over Wi-Fi)*
- Once you have finished with that, go into the settings and you want to now edit values. Change 'Auto-obtain IP Address' to No.
- Using Windows XP (don't know for Vista cuz I'm stuck in the past) go to your start menu then select Run...
- Type in cmd and a black window with white writing should appear. Type in 'ipconfig /all' and a list of numbers and stuff should come across the screen.
- You want to look down at the bottom, these are the values you will need. First find your computer's IP address. Generally this will start will be something like this 192.168.xxx.xxx (the x's being variable)
- Now you want to assign a IP to your DS that is 10 more than the last set of digits (e.g my computer's IP is 192.168.0.123 and my DS is 192.168.0.133). This is done to ensure your router will allow the DS to connect (some routers only allow a short range of IP addresses).
- Next change your Subnet Mask to the value you see on the computer (almost always 255.255.255.0).
- Change your Gateway to the same as the computer (as a general rule it should be the same as your IP until the last section where it uses only the first digit, like with mine it is 192.168.0.1 and my IP is 192.168.0.123).
- Scroll down on your DS to where it says 'Primary DNS' and 'Secondary DS'. Change these once again to the value stated on your computer. The top one will be the Primary DNS.
- Now scroll back up and hit 'Test Connection'. Should be all good and say 'Connection successful'.

Now, as for DSHobro I would first make sure I have the latest version which can be downloaded at this site.
Once you have it on your DS what should run Server.exe on your PC (this will be in the same folder as the homebrews .nds file).
DSHobro is designed to use this program so it can access the internet on your DS faster as it utillises the computers RAM and proccessing power to do most of the work.
When you have run Server.exe, a window will pop up with some options. These will not need to be tampered with.
Click Start! and then run DSHobro on your DS. When the app has loaded, hit the 'A' button, and this will then connect the DS. This process can take a while so be patient.
The messages you should see on your DS will be:
** Initialising WiFi
**WiFi connection successful
** Auto-configuration...
That will complete and now you should be into the browser.

There is the possibility that this will not work (which seems to happen to me off and on as I think there are still some bugs *still love ya costello
gbasp.gif
) in which case you should restart your DS and go back into DSHobro.
Once it has loaded instead hit 'X'. You will now have to enter manually the informtion about the IP and Port for the DS to connect to.
This IP will be that of the computer you are running Server.exe on. If you forgot it simply go back to Run..., cmd, ipconfig and away you go.
After you enter the IP you should follow with a space and then type the Port. This can be seen on Server.exe and if you had not changed it will be 666.
Once you have these done hit enter and you should be inwithin 10 seconds (I've noticed this method seems to connect faster than using the Auto-configuration by hitting 'A' and I have no idea why but not really a big issue).

You should now be browsing away!!!
smile.gif

If you still are having issues
hate2.gif
, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

btw, hope the guide wasn't too long/annoying but I wanted to be as clear as possible as I didn't know what amount of comprehension you have as far as technology and also was unsure of where your exact problem lies. Plus I was also trying to give some people information on all the steps needed to ensure you get your WFC working correctly as I remeber having to mess around with settings for a little while before getting it to work at all (unfortunately not everything can be done automatically apparently). Anyway really hope this helps you....

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
falloutds said:
I got M3 Real DS and i was very happy to be able now to go on the internet now with my ds by Hobro, ds aim andsoon...
But now i had to relize, that all this is not such easy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIcIXQMpPc
Watch the vid:

Wifi woks with all other games like pokemon pearl, but not with homebrew thing, even diagnoSE´s test failed. I thinkt it suck at the point to authorise, but i´ver even once tried it without firewall, wep etc. and i´m sitting next to the acces Point.
Ihope GBATemp community will help me!!!
unsure.gif

turn on the public broadcast of SSID it is required for homebrew but not for retail games/roms.

-another world

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
You may need to alter some settings on your router in order to have your DS access it.

- First you should go to the Start Menu, Run..., type cmd and then type ipconfig /all into the window that pops up.
- Then open your internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Then you want to type in your Primary DNS server address. This should also be the same as your default gateway. Mine is 192.168.0.1
- A window should pop up asking you to log in. These will generally be admin or administrator for the username and admin, administrator or *blank (type nothing for the password, and very occasionaly the user name may also be blank). Most commonly it is Username: admin Password: admin or *blank. Try combinations until you can log in. If you are unable to log in you should consult your router's documentation for the username and password.
- (these next steps may be different for you as I own a D-Link router but I will try to be as general as possible) Once you have logged in you want to click a tab or button that says Wireless.
- This should show you information such as SSID, Authentication and the WEP Key. Go to Authentication and you want to select 'Open System' or something similar (if you have no option like this select WEP).
- There will be a few options realting to a WEP key and you should enable these but if you can't access the Wi-Fi on your DS properly you might want to try without these settings. Enable WEP, select 128 Bit for WEP Encryption (you should not need more than that as it is overkill and limits compatibility but should be 128 as minimum). Make 'WEP Mode' 'ASCII'.
- Now make a key that you will remember and make sure it only contains only letters and numbers. It needs to be 8 charaters or more generally too. Only make one key as there is usaully the option to make more, you don't want, or need to do this.
- Now this is the tricky part. Go to the Advanced tab (if there is one) and select an option of either 'Virtual Server', 'Port Forwarding', 'Games and Applications', or 'Advanced Network'. Pick something sililar if none of these options are there.
- You want to give a name such as 'DSHobro' so you can easily identify what it is if you ever need to change something. Where it says 'Private IP' type the IP Address of your computer (or whatever computer you will be using to run Server.exe for DSHobro). For 'Protocol Type' select 'Both' and for 'Public Port' and 'Private Port' enter 666 (this is the default port for DSHobro and you should leave it as this when running Server.exe).
- Select 'Always' for the 'Schedule' and ensure that you enable this hit 'Enable' (usually up the top somewhere) and then click 'Apply' or 'OK'.
- Now select Firewall in the router configuration page and make sure that DSHobro has been allowed here. If not you will have to do it yourself so if anyone needs to know how to do this send a PM or post in the topic because atm I am tired and want to finish writing lol.
- You will also need to make sure your computer's firewall is allowing DSHobro so in XP go to Contol Panel and then go to to Windows firewall (If you use a different firewall or use Windows Vista you need to find your firewall settings). click on the 'Exceptions' (or something similar that applies to you) and then make sure Server.exe is allowed. If not click 'Add Program' (or whatever applies to you) and then 'Browse...' and find where Server.exe is and allow it.

You should now be able to connect to DSHobro by following the same procedure that is listed in my previous post.

If not I may not be able to help you any further but tell me your problem and try to be specific so I can best help you.

falloutds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sh!ft said:
OP, problem solved?
i get configuration when i type in my gateway of internet acces, but i already knew that... i´ve done realy everythin, but i even dont know wihch ip to use(a router sofware tells me somthing else than ipconfig
hate2.gif
mad.gif

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok then, well to be honest I don't know where you can turn now because I don't know how to help you any further.
Your best option is probably to go to a local computer store or someone who may know how to help you.
I'm sorry I can't be of any further assistance but if anyone else can think of a solution feel free to post.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
did you ever bother to check if the public broadcast of your ssid is turned on as i said to do a few posts up? ALL homebrew requires it, its how the wifilib works. retail games DO NOT require it, and that goes for dumped roms as well.

i really don't think you need to manually configure settings at this point as you should debut the automatic router/nds firmware settings first. plus it seems like you tried everything but never checked for ssid broadcast.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker