Weirdest Operating System You have ever Encountered?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Windows Vista
The weirdest thing is that they allowed it to be released in that state
Provided you actually had a strong enough computer with compatible drivers there was nothing wrong with Vista. The problem is that at the time of the Vista launch manufacturers kept selling too weak computers in conjunction with Vista making for an awful user experience.

Reactions: Deleted_171835

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Vista wasn't so much a "terrible" OS as it was a power hungry one. It ate RAM like it was nobody's business, hardware vendors didn't bother making compatible drivers for ages, the new memory management released was pretty junk...And, as Minox mentioned, manufacturers were slapping Vista on anything and everything "because new". Part of that might have been Microsoft's fault, since they claimed any PC manufactured in 2005 could run Vista no problems which was hilariously false.

Once Microsoft threw a couple Service Packs on it and hardware vendors actually sort of gave a shit about drivers Vista ends up being quite usable if you really wanted. Unfortunately, Microsoft just decided to throw 7 out there instead which ended up being much better and Vista got abandoned pretty much.

As for on topic, +1 to TempleOS, shit is...super weird. IIRC the guy who made it was like...schizophrenic or something, had a ton of mental issues.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Windows millenium. I mean...people bitch about windows vista and 8, but ME was much, much MUCH worse. I tried running it on two or three computers and ended up reinstalling 98 SE every time after only a couple days (before even installing anything, mind you).

Linux sure has grown a lot. When I first used it fifteen years ago, I couldn't even get the xwindow thing to run (and this was on anything but exotic hardware). Can't recall the name of the distro, though (SuSe, I think...not sure, though).

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows millenium. I mean...people bitch about windows vista and 8, but ME was much, much MUCH worse. I tried running it on two or three computers and ended up reinstalling 98 SE every time after only a couple days (before even installing anything, mind you).

Linux sure has grown a lot. When I first used it fifteen years ago, I couldn't even get the xwindow thing to run (and this was on anything but exotic hardware). Can't recall the name of the distro, though (SuSe, I think...not sure, though).

I forgot all about ME to be honest. Honestly though, while it was nightmarish for everyone else, I was one of the only people on planet earth I think that didn't have any problems with it.... #illuminati haha

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I've used quite a few OSes over the years. My argument will only be about their usability.
The weirdest OS that I have encountered was Windows 8. No joke. The first time I touched it, it made me think "this is what people must be feeling when they try to operate a computer for their very first time"

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot all about ME to be honest. Honestly though, while it was nightmarish for everyone else, I was one of the only people on planet earth I think that didn't have any problems with it.... #illuminati haha

Gotta call you out on this one there's no way. I had a Compaq ME machine blue screen the first day I brought it home. Just browsing on AOL and bam. I don't want to think about ME.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'd say OS X and previous versions of Mac OS. I can use them quite well at this point, but they are so drastically different than everything else in some ways, plus the lack of second mouse button (by default) makes for a lot of extra reading if you just want to use your computer and do with it what you want.

My favorite would be BeOS/Haiku. Runner up would be MorphOS, and then Amiga Workbench.
Though at the time of writing this I am using LInux Mint. :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta call you out on this one there's no way. I had a Compaq ME machine blue screen the first day I brought it home. Just browsing on AOL and bam. I don't want to think about ME.
Mine was a custom built pc with a pentium 200mhz and it ran ME beautifully. It makes no sense, but not.a single issue with it...

Reactions: Tomobobo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.