Weird One

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by midnightshinigam, Sep 19, 2010.

Sep 19, 2010

Weird One by midnightshinigam at 7:11 AM (954 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. midnightshinigam
    OP

Newcomer midnightshinigam Member

United States
    Okay, I don't think anyone else has had this problem.

I left my Dsi out on my nightstand with the acekard 2i inside for a day. I just picked it up and ejected the cart and noticed a oily type substance on it. It was also on my Mirco sd card, a little inside Slot-1, and inside the acekard itself.

Now here's the weird thing. The oily stuff was only a little bit around the slot and no where else on the system or on my table. There were no liquids or anything around the system at the time. The smell of the substance was not sulfury or citrusy, which I know are indictive of battery acid.

Any clues?

Edit: Just for a bit of added info, I have a clear case around the DSi. The liquid was trapped under the case so I didn't notice right away when I picked it up. Also, the smell reminds me motor oil or something like that.

2. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Stop eating while you play.

3. midnightshinigam
    OP

United States
    Yeah...

I wasn't using it when I was eating either. Thanks anyway. [​IMG]

4. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand
    Its definitely the DS man..

How long have you had your DS? O.o

5. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    maybe lithium ion battery have different battery acid than normal batteries, maybe even oil of some kind?

hmm found this on wikipedia:

6. midnightshinigam
    OP

United States
    This is my second DSi. I got it sometime in May I think. It hasn't been long since I've had it.

The odd thing is the DSi still works and Slot-1 works will all my carts, except Acekard. The Acekard is dead and since it was wet on the inside, I think that was the source. It wasn't a lot of liquid and if the DSi's battery went, I think there would have been a lot more. Also the liquid was only around Slot-1 and no where else in the DSi. The rest of the system was dry.

Two of the conclusions I've drawn were the battery (I think there's one inside the card) leaked or a capacitor did. The card was old since I got it at launch and I've played on it for hours. Seals on capacitors leak when extremely hot and I left my DSi in my car for a few hours while I was out for my Ichthyology lab. That was Friday and the leak occurred Saturday. The card was also freezing a lot during game play, which I thought was a firmware issue.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    It's probably headlight fluid.
    You should go to the store and pick some more up.

Anyway, it's probably something that spilled and wicked up into the case.
    Or the case is some kind of cheap plastic that 'bled' some oily substance if it got hot.

8. midnightshinigam
    OP

United States
    XD

I doubt it was the case and I think it was the Acecard itself. That was covered the most and the DSi just a little bit. I doubt it was oil from my car because my DSi was in my purse. I don't have anything that smells like motor oil inside my purse either.

But anyways I have a DSTWO coming and my DSi still works, so I should just be happy for that.