Weird issue with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Mr. Prince, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mr. Prince
    OP

Mr. Prince GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    The game loads fine and I can play without any issues for 6+ hours straight. However, sometimes I take a break and open up the home menu while I'm away. If I keep the home menu for a long time the game acts weird when I continue playing. For a couple of seconds, the game runs fine. Then the BGM stops playing and I lose control over my characters. I can't even open up the home menu. The game is still playing as I can see my characters idle animation. This happens with wiiflow and USB loader GX.

Here is my syscheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    Sorry for double posting, but should I test another game?

3. angelboy777

angelboy777 Newbie

You should try it with another game
    I have never had this problem with Xenoblade Chronicles

4. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    I tried it with Skyward Sword. I kept the home menu for about 5 hours. When I closed the menu and continued playing, the same thing happened! The BGM stopped playing and I could not control Link. However, his idle animation was playing. The same thing that happened to Xenoblade Chronicles.

5. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    Is this on a loader? Is your hard drive going to sleep?

Foxi4 likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This. If it only happens after an extended period of inactivity then either the drive gets dismounted or automatically goes to sleep mode.

7. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    Yes, it's on a loader. Is there anyway for me to disable sleeping on my hard drive?

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Depending on the type of the drive, you may have access to such options via diagnostic tools - visit the manufacturer's website for more details. You could also try using a different USB cable - I once had an issue with a drive going to sleep all the time and switching the USB cable surprisingly helped, although I don't think it will in your case as the games only stop working after long periods of inactivity.

9. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    Does the signal for inactivity come from being in the home menu for too long? Or can it go to sleep even if I just stop playing without opening a menu and not turning off my wii?

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No, the drive's logic board automatically goes to sleep mode if the drive wasn't written to or read from for a while, it's a feature of APM. If your drive's manufacturer doesn't give you the option to disable it, perhaps a third-party app could work - there's a few that can edit APM settings, for instance HDD Control by Ashampoo. Just Google APM and you'll find something. That said, the drive's manufacturer's website is always the first place to check.

Ergo likes this.
  11. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    My hard drive is a Toshiba MK5065GSX, and I searched for diagnostic tools by Toshiba and couldn't find one. I tried Ashampoo and it gives me an error when trying to disable APM. Something about my drive being incompatible or something like that.

I've been playing for hours without problems, unless I open up the home menu and keep it on for more than 2 hours.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Try HDParm for Windows:
    https://sites.google.com/site/disablehddapm/

If that fails, have another comb through the available Toshiba tools - you can find them here, although I'm not sure if your drive is compatible with them.

13. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    I'll just try my spare WD hard drive. Does WD have a tool for it's storage drives that disables APM?

14. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    How long did it take for your drive to go to sleep when you had that cable?

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I don't remember - it was 2 years ago. It was a stupidly short amount of time though - about a minute. Most games didn't even boot, the rest bugged up immediately after booting.

16. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    My games load fine, so I guess it's not the cable. I'm currently trying to test my WD. I have Xenoblade Chronicles on and I'm at the home menu. It has been 4 hours since then. I'll go check right now.

17. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    Hmmmm after 4 hours on the home menu, Xenoblade works fine. Although my WD drive did get a little bit hot.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's not uncommon for a drive to get hot when it's not put into sleep mode during periods of inactivity - nobody leaves a drive running for hours on end for no reason, most people just... y'know, turn the game off when they're done playing.

19. Mr. Prince
    OP

Oct 29, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    All Blue
    Yeah, I know. Sometimes I go to the washroom and forget about the game after.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Well, at least you've isolated the issue. I'd re-try disabling APM using HDParm on the Toshiba drive - if you're unable to do it via USB then connect the drive via standard SATA, you might be more lucky doing that. ;)