Homebrew Web Browsing - Why So Bad?

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the 3DS's browser so terrible? Is there any way to improve upon it, or any superior homebrew web browsers out there?
o3DS compatibility only please, I can't afford the new model

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is the 3DS's browser so terrible? Is there any way to improve upon it, or any superior homebrew web browsers out there?
o3DS compatibility only please, I can't afford the new model
old 3ds is always going to suck, no matter what you do. You would want like a cellphone with just wifi or a laptop if ya really want internet going for you. The 3ds specs are shit, be it the old 3ds or the new 3ds

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The old3ds browser is using only 32 mbs since it runs as an applet.
Combine that with a 266Mhz arm11 and you mind as well jump in a time machine to 2011 to find any web pages that will actually load.
Still useful as an exploit vector though.

The new3ds browser is better but still awful.

Crimson Cuttlefish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm very aware that the n3ds is superior, fellas. Sadly that doesn't change much about my current position.
Thanks for the answers though!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i'm very aware that the n3ds is superior, fellas. Sadly that doesn't change much about my current position.
Calling the n3ds superior when it comes to web browser is actually over saying what its capable of. Yes it runs a bit better. But its still shit aswell.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even on the new3DS it's complete shit. The browser is just grossly outdated and Nintendo doesn't really care to update it. It also doesn't help that it's using extremely limited resources in a world where websites are starting to demand more and more resources.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While we're on the subject, was there ever some kind of workaround developed for the n3ds to let it use hotspots that require a login?

Specifically, when you go to McDonald's or Starbucks or whatever and try to connect to the wifi, on most devices (including the o3ds) you get directed to a page that says "Click Here to Connect". The n3ds seems to give up right away. I understand that if you have another device handy, you can carefully input the URL of the "Click Here to Connect" page – but it tends to be long and messy and sometimes specifies the device MAC address.

I might have hoped that there would be homebrew to let you at least specify the cookie or whatever, but I guess there's been no interest in developing that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-