Web Browsing - Why So Bad?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Crimson Cuttlefish, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Crimson Cuttlefish
    OP

Crimson Cuttlefish GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    Why is the 3DS's browser so terrible? Is there any way to improve upon it, or any superior homebrew web browsers out there?
    o3DS compatibility only please, I can't afford the new model

2. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    old 3ds is always going to suck, no matter what you do. You would want like a cellphone with just wifi or a laptop if ya really want internet going for you. The 3ds specs are shit, be it the old 3ds or the new 3ds

3. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Short ver: because nintendo

4. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    The old3ds browser is using only 32 mbs since it runs as an applet.
    Combine that with a 266Mhz arm11 and you mind as well jump in a time machine to 2011 to find any web pages that will actually load.
    Still useful as an exploit vector though.

The new3ds browser is better but still awful.

ConKonner, zacchi4k and lone_wolf323 like this.
  5. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2013
    Brazil
    this.

6. Crimson Cuttlefish
    OP

Crimson Cuttlefish GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    i'm very aware that the n3ds is superior, fellas. Sadly that doesn't change much about my current position.
    Thanks for the answers though!

7. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    Calling the n3ds superior when it comes to web browser is actually over saying what its capable of. Yes it runs a bit better. But its still shit aswell.

Joel16, ConKonner and LucarioWolf like this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Even on the new3DS it's complete shit. The browser is just grossly outdated and Nintendo doesn't really care to update it. It also doesn't help that it's using extremely limited resources in a world where websites are starting to demand more and more resources.

ConKonner and lone_wolf323 like this.
  9. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    Because websites are coded shitty with tons of unnecessary JavaScript, overly large pictures and bloated with ads. It's miles better with the New3DS though.

ConKonner likes this.
  10. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    While we're on the subject, was there ever some kind of workaround developed for the n3ds to let it use hotspots that require a login?

Specifically, when you go to McDonald's or Starbucks or whatever and try to connect to the wifi, on most devices (including the o3ds) you get directed to a page that says "Click Here to Connect". The n3ds seems to give up right away. I understand that if you have another device handy, you can carefully input the URL of the "Click Here to Connect" page – but it tends to be long and messy and sometimes specifies the device MAC address.

I might have hoped that there would be homebrew to let you at least specify the cookie or whatever, but I guess there's been no interest in developing that?

11. BORTZ

BORTZ Switch Dawg

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I mean its basically like browsing the internet on a phone from 2011. And a really low end one at that. Thing about it like that.

lone_wolf323 likes this.