Hacking Web browsing - clunky? can you log on to any wifi?

junkmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some questions about web browsing:

1. Is slot 2 + extra ram absolutely necessary. If so how much extra ram do you need?
2. What card combo's will work for this? Cyclo DS + Ez 3 in 1 for sure, but does Supercard DS ONE + EZ 3 in 1 work as well?
3. Can you log onto any wifi network as long as you have the key, or its unsecured? Or do you need to have a program on your computer that you remote into from the DS?
4. What are the different programs from web browsing and what's the difference? Official / Unofficial?

Thanks in Advance!!

Junkmonk

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Yes a slot 2 card is necessary, my supercard lite and also the Ez 3 in 1 works as extra ram which i believe is 30 megs but all slot 2 cards with ram at all will do for the opera broswer.

2) Yes again the supercard SCS1 will work with the EZ 3 in 1 as well as the supercard lite .

3)No program on your pc is needed! , as long as you know the wep key or the network is unsecured then you can use it but have to set it up for each individual connection. So if the router is in your house that could be saved as connection 1, wifi connection in your local shopping mall connection 2 and so on.

4) The only official browser is OPERA and in my opinion the best but still not great, there are 2 or 3 homebrew browsers which don't even require the extra ram but in my opinion not very good.

Anyway here is a link to a wiki page , scroll down to Internet and see the list of homebrew browsers: wiki

paul

junkmonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
browsing on the ds is free, browsing on a cell phone is not. and thanks for the quick reply paul3100... would you recommend buying the extra ram for the browsing function, do you use it a lot? and is 3-in-1 the best extra ram kit?

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
junkmonk said:
browsing on the ds is free, browsing on a cell phone is not. and thanks for the quick reply paul3100... would you recommend buying the extra ram for the browsing function, do you use it a lot? and is 3-in-1 the best extra ram kit?

i don't know what cellphone you are using, but I enjoy browsing on my phone very much so.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DrKupo said:
junkmonk said:

i don't know what cellphone you are using, but I enjoy browsing on my phone very much so.

Not everyone has fancy iPhone-like phones. My phone is fairly new, but it takes forever to load small, text-only pages, and like junkmonk posted, it's not at all free. In fact I get charged $0.01 per kilobyte, which means that if I download a standard mp3 file onto my phone, I've just spent between 3 and 6 dollars. Compared to this, the DS is much better for web browsing.

In response to the original OP:
If you use the official Opera browser, you can connect anywhere you can connect with any other wifi-enabled DS game. You can connect to protected networks if you know the WEP key. The other homebrew browsers include DSOrganize (does not need slot-2 RAM, supports small inline images and downloading), Bunjalloo (does not need slot-2 RAM, supports inline images and downloading), DSHobro (does not need slot-2 RAM but does connect to a server application you run on your own PC), and the web browsers within DSLinux which require slot-2 RAM but can be very powerful browsers once you learn how to use them. All the homebrew web browsers connect using the homebrew wifi library, which tends to be slightly less compatible than the official wifi library used in commercial DS games, but for the most part it's the same. Many will use your WFC configuration data to connect, while some (like DSOrganize and the DSLinux browsers) can connect to an arbitrary network without requiring you to setup the network in an official game first.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Your welcome

I currently own the Supercardlite as i said above which is great for the ram but even better for playing gba games from, has a micro sd slot with a max of 2 gigs which is plenty for those small gba games.

The Ez 3 in 1 has 16 mbs according to post above but is plenty for the the official opera browser and has rumble function as well as ram and can be used to play gba games though no micro sd slot only built in memory (256 mbs?) i think........ but there are programs which allow all gba roms to run from slot 1 card through slot 2 and ez 3 in 1 has better compatibility to SCLite.

But i recommend the Ez 3 in 1 as everyone seems to have one and is getting great support for all 3 of its functions.

paul

Bootsum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Hey I hear that browsing on Nintendo DS is poor due to the lack of RAM. So it is always better to get more RAM to improve your browsing experience.
The comments on using Nintendo DS to browse is negative.
Depending on what sites you browse it can stress on your Nintendo DS hardware.

2. Supercard DS ONE + EZ 3 in 1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps