ROM Hack We need a Pokemon GBA PokeSAV equivalent.

gatorshark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be interested in this as well. There's some additional things save editing can do. Mystery GIFT is one. Wonder Cards and Wonder News could be gotten or edited. Plus, wireless events could be enabled. I've asked around before if anyone had a game save that had an unclaimed ticket on it (to study), but I had no luck finding one. Lastly, there is some house that has custom trainer battle.

Editing pokémon in GBA using the save would be nice. There was a program by Filb.de called Pokémon Reader that could read pokémon save files for Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald of all languages, and display all the pokémon in the PC boxes. It has quite a nice graphical look, too. However, it can only view the data. It does not do any modification (and the creator expressed he does not want to do that). Still, this may help to gather information that will be of use here.

http://www.filb.de/games/tools

codemonke85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize that it's been a while since anyone added to this thread, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but it seemed like an appropriate place to post.

Some people would like there to be a program for exporting GBA Pokémon to the PKM file format used by Pokésav, so that they can "emulate" the Pal-Park feature and import Pokémon from a GBA save to a DS save. I have been writing programs to read data from the DS saves for months, and as part of the code library I am writing to handle Pokémon game data, would be glad to add GBA support.

If anyone has any knowledge / experience with the GBA save files, I could really use the help. Determining why the data shifts and how to calculate the save block checksums are priority.

The Pokémon data itself, on the other hand, seems easy enough, and I think I'll begin by writing a utility to convert the 80/100 byte structure used in the GBA games to the 136/236 byte structure used in the DS games.

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
codemonke85 said:
I realize that it's been a while since anyone added to this thread, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but it seemed like an appropriate place to post.

Some people would like there to be a program for exporting GBA Pokémon to the PKM file format used by Pokésav, so that they can "emulate" the Pal-Park feature and import Pokémon from a GBA save to a DS save. I have been writing programs to read data from the DS saves for months, and as part of the code library I am writing to handle Pokémon game data, would be glad to add GBA support.

If anyone has any knowledge / experience with the GBA save files, I could really use the help. Determining why the data shifts and how to calculate the save block checksums are priority.

The Pokémon data itself, on the other hand, seems easy enough, and I think I'll begin by writing a utility to convert the 80/100 byte structure used in the GBA games to the 136/236 byte structure used in the DS games.

I don't have any knowledge with GBA save files, but maybe you can try this?

1. Make a copy of GBA Pokemon games save file.
2. Migrate Pokemon using a copied save file. (make sure to keep original save file with migrated Pokemon.)
3. Compare the similarity between migrated GBA Pokemon on NDS save file and the original Pokemon on GBA save file, and then attempt to extract it from the GBA save file?

I don't know if it works that way, as I said, I don't have any knowledge with GBA save files, I don't think this post is very useful.

codemonke85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that I still don't know how to determine the GBA save file checksum algorithm(s), or why the stored Pokémon offsets are in flux. The Pokémon data itself looks to be already mapped on Bulbapedia, and if there are any holes, I'm not too concerned about filling them in.

In fact, if that becomes an issue, I will do exactly what you suggested. So it wasn't a useless post.
biggrin.gif

But what I am most concerned with right now is figuring out the checksums and storage offsets. Even if no one has knowledge on the specifics, does anyone know of any tools or methods for determining such things?

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm interested as well- although, what took pokesav for 4th generation to go up? were they placed with the same challenges as we were?

also, a GBC to GBA pokemon converter is NOT possible and NEVER will be. The programing is completely different and non compatible- I can't believe people haven't realized this yet. Why would you want one anyway?

blow_fly98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a program called PokeboxGBA or Pokéstock that is almost exactly like Pokésav (except for GBA Pokemon games). It was made by some Japanese developer whose site has been dead for quite some time. GSD translated it and put it on his site but his site is dead as well...

Quoted from Anubis on the Pokésav forum:
QUOTE said:
GSD has taken down his website but as a member I had access to all the files, so I'm sharing them with you all.
For those who don't know, GSD translated Pokesav some other Pokemon tools.
Here's the list of all the files: http://clientes.netvisao.pt/monochrome/List.txt

And the download link: http://rapidshare.com/files/156782475/GSD.rar

Password: Uploaded by Anubis

Enjoy.

BTW, the fonts on PokeboxGBA/Pokéstock are REALLY stuffed up. The texts go way outside the textbox and they overlap each other.

There are 2 PokeboxGBA/Pokéstock versions included: one for R/S/E and one for FR/LG. Can't remember which one is which though.

Hope that ends the topic
yay.gif

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not really... while a great find, this is glitchy and risky to use- its old and hasn't been updated in awhile, hard to use, etc.

tried it some more... NO way, this thing is terrible, finky and whatknot. All it tells us is that it CAN BE DONE for the GBA generations.

I got fire red to work but nothing for emerald.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, too, would like to see a Pokesav for the GBA games. I am also willing to donate to the cause as far as funding so that the programmer(s) don't feel like they're wasting their time.

Also, in response to the whole Pokebox/Pokestock thing, I noticed that the program tends to crash when loading certain saves, or it will just give a load error. If there ever is going to be a PokesavGBA, then it needs to be more flexible in loading save files that are compatible with emulators and Flash cards alike, since some have their own headers and what not.

gendou

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I am also trying to crack the checksum for Pokemon Sapphire save data.
I will share my progress so far:

Every block of 0x1000 has a 16-bit checksum at position 0xFF6-0xFF7.
This checksum can be *nearly* calculated by summing up 16-bit words from 0x000-0xFF0 in the block.
This is close, but not correct!
I am still doing experiments in the hopes of discovering the correct checksum algorithm.
I suspect it may involve an XOR, since 2 evenly-separated bytes may be swapped successfully, while subtraction of the same bytes causes the data to register as corrupt.

The save file consists of 2 save games, the main save game, and a backup file.
The main save file starts at 0x00000 and goes to 0x0EFFF.
The backup save file starts at 0x0F000 and goes to 0x1BFFF.
The rest of the file from 0x1C000 to 0x1FFFF is empty (0x00).

Each time you save, the contents of both the main save and backup save shifts down by 0x1000.
I suspect this over-engineering was probably to avoid or problems with the game crashing when saved.
In order to deduce the location of the blocks, the byte 0xFFC is examined.
This byte represents the number of times the game has been saved.
So, if you want to find the first block, the offset will be:
Code:
(0x1000 * valueAt(0xFCC)) % 0xF000

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I actually really wanted this, because I have a hacked version of Ruby, from Singapore, so I wanted to edit the save to see if I could further play around with the already-hacked cartridge. Not that you can edit the game data with it, but I wanted to get... creative, so to speak.

Julian_89_

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I haven developed a editor for .sav and .pkm files for GBA pokemon games to allow:
- Modify Name, ID, SID, gender of player and pokemon (only party).
- Export and import .pkm files in the party (80/100 bytes).

It is: http://www.4shared.com/file/127667966/303a...emon_-_Esm.html

This program is in spanish, although is no to hard to see how it works (to diferent from PokeBoxGBA).

If anybody still want to do a good editor program in english, the follows links sure will serve (with this, i made the mine):

http://pokeguide.filb.de/dl/PSavFixV2.zip
http://furlocks-forest.net/wiki/?page=Poke...GBA_Save_Format
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok..._Generation_III
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok..._Generation_III

Or if anybody wanna continue my work (to change the language, implement Item edit, etc), this is the source code (implemented in c#):
http://www.4shared.com/file/3YSANeUg/_Cdig..._Pokemon_-.html

PD: Sorry for my english.

Bridgy84

Yub Nub
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ahh i just tried this program and it would be even better if i could read all the options. I just want to say thank you for your efforts and i hope someone can translate this to English.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Julian_89_ said:
I haven developed a editor for .sav and .pkm files for GBA pokemon games to allow:
- Modify Name, ID, SID, gender of player and pokemon (only party).
- Export and import .pkm files in the party (80/100 bytes).

It is: Link
SWEET! Thanks slot dude. Testing now. I'm so happy I'm taking spanish!

EDIT: Contacted you for translation info. Please get back to me! very excited!!

Kibago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, my VBA won't load the save file after i use the Enciclopedia pokemon on it. can someone please help me us this program? It doesn't even acknowlege that there is an actual sav file, can anyone help with this?

_Julián_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Kibago said:
Hi, my VBA won't load the save file after i use the Enciclopedia pokemon on it. can someone please help me us this program? It doesn't even acknowlege that there is an actual sav file, can anyone help with this?
What game you using?, maybe you don't change correctly the version of the game before you load and save (Menu Baterry>Version). Anyway, by default, the aplication save a backup automatically (.bak extension) in the same folder of the save file, you only have to change the extesion and recover your progress.

I hope that this can help.

Kibago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Julián_ said:
Kibago said:
What game you using?, maybe you don't change correctly the version of the game before you load and save (Menu Baterry>Version). Anyway, by default, the aplication save a backup automatically (.bak extension) in the same folder of the save file, you only have to change the extesion and recover your progress.

I hope that this can help.

Yeah, go got it to work a while back, i just switched the version of VBA i was using (switched to the VBA Link.) Its working perfectly now, and no battery error message anymore either, that was another problem i was having...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password