We have it pretty good nowdays

89star

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing around with some emulators today and I was thinking back in 1990,91 getting a single game from the store was a huge deal. Now thanks to todays tech and some real talented coders out there, there is a h u g e amount of gaming at our fingertips....idk just random bs I was thinking about....its a good time to be a fan of gaming.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Yes i quite agree with you, thanks to these emulators there's a lot of gaming to be had, especially when you can get to play your favourite games from consoles past.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have mixed feelings, I think the hardware of course far exceeds anything in the past of course, but at the same time I can't help but feel that there is less diversity in new games than there was in the past. Maybe it's just me but these days gaming feels like FPS, and FPS but wait there's more! FPS!!! I guess I shouldn't complain too much though as I am trying out Metro 2033 on the PC right now and it seems to be pretty interesting and on the PS3 I recently discovered they did in fact make some sequels to one of my favorite FPRPG (First Person Role Playing Game? Is that a thing? lol)

I just feel like some games never needed to go 3D and should have stayed 2D, Castlevania for one example was fantastic on the SNES and PS1 and I still play those games. The 3D ones for the most part are not all that great. So is that the fault of hardware or companies not having enough faith in a product?

But with emulation we can still play those greats and play all the new games, so yeah its a good time to be alive :) I guess I just wish the companies would make more 2D stuff sprinkled into the 3D stuff, sort of like Nintendo did with NSMB, sure its not as great as SMW or SMB3 but its still plenty fun.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have mixed feelings, I think the hardware of course far exceeds anything in the past of course, but at the same time I can't help but feel that there is less diversity in new games than there was in the past. Maybe it's just me but these days gaming feels like FPS, and FPS but wait there's more! FPS!!! I guess I shouldn't complain too much though as I am trying out Metro 2033 on the PC right now and it seems to be pretty interesting and on the PS3 I recently discovered they did in fact make some sequels to one of my favorite FPRPG (First Person Role Playing Game? Is that a thing? lol)

I just feel like some games never needed to go 3D and should have stayed 2D, Castlevania for one example was fantastic on the SNES and PS1 and I still play those games. The 3D ones for the most part are not all that great. So is that the fault of hardware or companies not having enough faith in a product?

But with emulation we can still play those greats and play all the new games, so yeah its a good time to be alive :) I guess I just wish the companies would make more 2D stuff sprinkled into the 3D stuff, sort of like Nintendo did with NSMB, sure its not as great as SMW or SMB3 but its still plenty fun.

It's part of the technology. Back in the olden days of pre-3D graphics, there was an overwhelming amount of 2D sidescrollers. Tech was limited then so you basically had a top down view or a side view.

Nowadays, tech is so advanced that you can make these great, immersive environments and what better way to get immersed in them than in the first person? It puts you directly in the action. So yeah, there's a lot of FPS games nowadays, but it all depends on technology.

Another example, look at the amount of RPGs on the Playstation. It came in part of the technology. Larger game sizes with hardware let you have prerendered cutscenes, better environments, and better music. That's why you have your large crop of RPGs for that system.

I'd easily say gaming today is better than gaming yesteryear. We have more games, more diversity (you may go "hurr hurr everything is a FPS game" but that's far from true), more ways to play, and just better games. We're able to advance in all frontiers while still staying connected to the pass. Big studios continue to be big while smaller studios also get a chance to shine. Our consoles have more power, more ways to play, more features, and more selection.

Gaming isn't perfect, it never has been and never will be, but despite its kinks, such as genre over saturation at times and series hiccups at other times, it's still going forward strong and getting better than ever.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

I'd easily say gaming today is better than gaming yesteryear. We have more games, more diversity (you may go "hurr hurr everything is a FPS game" but that's far from true), more ways to play, and just better games. We're able to advance in all frontiers while still staying connected to the pass. Big studios continue to be big while smaller studios also get a chance to shine. Our consoles have more power, more ways to play, more features, and more selection.
We also have tons of studios dying from increasing development costs. We have overpriced DLC with some available at Day 1 and online passes. There are less stellar Japanese games and JRPGs. The FPS genre now consists of COD-clones. Game prices have increased. Publishers started applying new forms of DRM to their games. Local multiplayer (aside from the Wii) has been taken out of most games in favour of online multiplayer.

It wasn't all that good. Frankly, the best that came out of this generation were the handhelds.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We also have tons of studios dying from increasing development costs. We have overpriced DLC with some available at Day 1 and online passes. There are less stellar Japanese games and JRPGs. The FPS genre now consists of COD-clones. Game prices have increased. Publishers started applying new forms of DRM to their games. Local multiplayer (aside from the Wii) has been taken out of most games in favour of online multiplayer.

It wasn't all that good. Frankly, the best that came out of this generation were the handhelds.

I suggest you watch this video via Extra Credits on how Day 1 DLC works.

Also, is overpriced DLC really that bad? It's still just DLC. If you don't like this price, don't buy it. It's better then, back in the day, if you wanted a new level pack or something, you ended up buying the whole game again plus DLC. I know Capcom isn't exactly good at adapting but Street Fighter back in the day was just released tons and tons of times and you had to buy it new every time. They've at least shown some small progress in that area with Arcade Edition. Mind you for every step forward they force an Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or original Super Street Fighter IV down your throat but one step forward and two steps back is better than just two steps back.

IDGAF on Japanese games and JRPGs so much so that's not really a bad thing. In all honesty it's not like they were, at one point, stellar and then just took a slide down shit hill but they just didn't have competition. If you wanted a story based game, you got JRPGs. Games just didn't have the complexity back then they do today.

Okay, so CoD clones. We have CoD I guess. Homefront too. Medal of Honor counts, right? Battlefield 3 is significantly different. Everything else is rather different. Look at every other FPS game this generation. Half Life 2. Team Fortress 2. Counterstrike Source. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Borderlands. If you want to count all the first person games that just so happen to feature shooting, you get Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Fallout 3. Fallout: New Vegas. Portal. Portal 2. If two games constitute the entire genre as "CoD clones" then my definitions are quite off.

Game prices have increased, big whoop. Gaming is a luxury. It's not like anything that matters here counts. You pay more for better games.

There's hardly the large amount of tyrannical DRM that people say there is. There's your Diablo III's, sure, but even Ubisoft dropped the horrible DRM from Assassin's Creed II and such. Most of the time it's not even noticeable unless you pirate, in which case, why the fuck are you complaining? You're pirating a game for god's sake.

For games like CoD (which still have local multiplayer), large scale is what matters. Games aren't developed like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark anymore. I'm not saying that as some "GAMES AREN'T AS GOOD AS THEY WERE" anymore sort of way, it's just a shift in technology. When you have access to a strong online infrastructure, you want to make a multiplayer game that caters to it. You don't want a game based on like 4-player combat when you can have 16, 32, even 64 players or more. There's still strong local multiplayer games like fighters and such, but its just adapting to technology.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The amount of FPS games is extremely exaggerated.
There are just about as many successful FPS games as most other genres.
FPS games take full advantage of online-multi-player and they aren't all the same or rip offs of COD (There are very few COD rip-offs), they vary as much as any other genre.
The only reason people think that FPS is taking over the gaming industry is because there are a lot of elitist fps players trying to act dominant, making the fps genre look like a bigger industry than what it actually is.

Reactions: 2 people

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You kids have no idea. Back in the day, we had to play games uphill - both ways!

If you never had to load a game on a 1541 drive, than you have no idea what a load time... Go make some coffee, a sandwich maybe catch the news, your game might be loaded when you come back.

Edit: And that was just to get to the main screen, never mind level 1 :P hahahah

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Compared to the past, video games sure have grown in every aspect. Graphics and sound, length, variety, plot, depth, controls...the standards have grown subtle but sincere. And they're not going back.

In addition, we don't lose games either. On the contrary: thanks to remakes and emulators, we have more variety than ever at our disposal.

I'm curious about the future, though. More and more, I get the impression that on the graphic and sound department, hard limits are coming within reach. There'll be more marvelous looking games, obviously...but they won't put the current generation to shame like they used to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1