• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

We changed the world

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't believed it would happen, but skateboarding is now included in the 2020 Tokyo games.

Even more exciting, it won't be just "Vert"--Street and Park, for men and women, are planned.

I'm very pleased skateboarding is what it is--a sport in which you have the ability to do what you feel and you are the only limit.
Literally, this 10-year-old is proof:

So, go out there, live a little; your hobby may one day be an Olympic sport.

https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/sport/olympic/skateboarding/

D

Deleted User

finally

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No guarantee it'll return in other olympics.

I'm actually surprised.
Might tune in, hopefully see some wrists break.

Also, moved it to the right section for ya lad ;]
what is the difference between a mod and a global mod?

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, moved it to the right section for ya lad ;]

Thank you much.

Yeah, it was a little disheartening to know skateboarding may not come back (but understandable if the games are held in a country where people aren't exposed to it).

I'm actually interested in going to the games and if anyone else is interested:
https://www.cosport.com/

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't skateboarding announced back in 2016 for the Olympics along with all the other new sports?

I think there was like 7 new sports

Street BMX
Skateboarding
Baseball
3 on 3 basketball
Rock climbing
And two more I can't remember?

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And two more I can't remember?
bigtrue.png

Yeah, seems there's surfing and karate, but I think that was for nominations.
2016.png

These were the events in Rio.
Years later, I'm very glad the IOC gave the green light for skateboarding.

I also see Paris (2024) holding skateboarding and I'll move to Azerbaijan if the Los Angeles (2028) games don't include skateboarding.

By the way, for those who are savvy, the 2020 tickets range from ~$17.00-$22.00; buy low/sell high.

Reactions: AmandaRose

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Skateboarding contests never did much for me, especially after the x games went to complete nonsense, and I don't consider the Olympics some big win here (if so the Olympics is lucky to have skateboarding, not the other way around) and certainly not some kind of long awaited recognition as it were.

Enjoy what you will though.

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate all subjectively judged sports in the Olympics.

It's not all bad, you just have to appreciate it for what it is.
I mean, normally I wouldn't watch pole vaulting.....but I changed my mind:

With other sports, I like to get new ideas, like "Oh, I think I see how you need to angle yourself to do a Smith grind!"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With other sports, I like to get new ideas, like "Oh, I think I see how you need to angle yourself to do a Smith grind!"

You would get that from a contest run, maybe a best trick section if you are lucky, never mind down a hubba or something on a nicely made contest skatepark with good angles and "through a goose" slick rails/coping? Not from watching a video part in slow motion a bunch of times, maybe reading a text description/photo sequence going to a curb/flat bad/ledge and mastering it there before maybe either a quarter and "is it a stall or slash?" a bunch of times or taking it to a short sloping ledge/sticking a flat bar down a three stair/off a ledge and working up from there?
Most times you take an approach like you see in a contest in the real world and your mates are dragging you over the school fence to avoid answering questions when the ambulance comes.

It's more of a step forward--it's the fact we have changed the world. Twenty years ago, this would have been a kids' wish on Santa's lap.
Personally I was content with the x-games (back then at least), trade shows, other contests, regional contests, park/magazine contests and such scene. Never felt like it was not big enough/recognised enough. Prize purses were enough that people would come to them (not just as a "I'm filming in Barcelona so...") and news got circulated.

wownmnpare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to skate 4 years ago but due to life i haven't played awhile, My friends are still playing and i'm always hangin out with them and get wasted! Glad that it get recognized!

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Everyone learns differently, but I think you didn't see the forest from the trees, "With other sports, I like to get new ideas, like "Oh, I think I see how you need to angle yourself to do a Smith grind!""

I generally know how things are supposed to be positioned and balanced, but sometimes, a fresh take on an old trick can lead to the birth of something entirely different.

Hell, I remember when I was doing flatland--I'd do a no comply, but add a little kickflip. Then, I did no comply kickflip to 50-50. then, I did no comply kickflip to 50-50 shove out. All because I kept exposing myself to new ideas.

As to the ambulance part, I think I've been skating with mostly the same people for almost 20 years. We do a lot of things that require balance, endurance, guts, and the dedication to perfection--but we don't get an inflated ego about limits. To this day, the biggest set I've cleared (fakie 180) was six. To be fair, that was from my time in Manhattan.

x-games (back then at least)

I'll agree, old X-games were a bit different, but this is a new step and a very big statement of who's getting "hobbies" recognized as Olympic sports. Overall, X-games was a statement of, "Fuck you--I do extreme sports; you throw a ball. Wow.", but now, again, this is a generation of people who are bringing change to the world.

I mean, when you really analyze it on the surface, it doesn't matter, but when you deconstruct it, you can appreciate the fact that our generation is finally able to make these changes.

-----
i'm always hangin out with them and get wasted!

Word up, homie? When they legalize in your state, PM me.

Reactions: zomborg

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh, you, with your actual fake news.....hey, w8 a min......are you, Tronald Dump? Okay, where's Ashton Kutcher? This is all one big Punk'd skit that's been going on since 2015, so, c'mon.

Eeeernyway, here:

See you in five, bud.

Also, super sorry if you were being sincere and didn't know that there are actual fake news outlets that promote satire.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...assing-fails&usg=AOvVaw0kGlS_Vj9U5sETRfRxyU55

Reactions: zomborg

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might be interesting enough to get me to watch the Olympics again. Haven't watched in years. I did watch the X games a few times.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite is a winter sport. I think it’s the biathlon. The one where you ski for a bit, then take your air rifle to a target. Miss the target and you’ll have to do a penalty lap. I’m glad skating is in there, but I hope we never see parkour or Magic: The Gathering.

H1B1Esquire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I hope we never see parkour or Magic: The Gathering.

You know, I can see both happening; parkour before MTG (because poker has to happen before MTG) and I really wouldn't mind if it was done correctly.
If you have a few minutes, skip through

I know, she's like Sarah Silverman (in terms of "being real"), but it would be fun to nerd out with someone genuine.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Brought to you by Milk advertising. :) And surfboards for kids advertising. :) And if the interest goes away, the young lady will get into an office job, and loose all aspirations. Apart from that, thumbs up. ;)

We did it. :)

(Then I remember that I never was a skater, but I kind of like the culture.. ;) )

edit: Monster, Nike, and white earphone Company agree.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-