apb407

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys lately my parents have been very very nosey about what i do on the computer and i really dont have anything to hide but its starting to really bug me. My dad is really good with computers and my mom says that he can check whatever i do on sites like facebook and can get into my account. Now the only way i can think they would be able to do that is through cookies or whatever and saved files. I use Safari and put on private browsing so that shouldnt keep anything right ? I am using Windows Vista and am not the admin but i do know the admins password if needed
rolleyes.gif

So what are the ways i can prevent my parents from doing this shit

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Get a USB flash drive, install Firefox Portable and use it when you want to browse the net. As long as you have that flash drive, your dad can't know where you've been.

apb407

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ohhh man thats alot of work to do and sort of annoying is their any other way ? Thanks for the suggestion though now that i think about it i might end up doing that

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can use Firefox 3.1 beta or Chrome's private browsing (you also mentioned Safari). This shouldn't keep any records of sites you visited on the PC.

apb407

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
okay so if i use private browsing they can find out my password or anything ? I just want to make sure i am understanding it right

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
scan your login with as many anti spyware tools/anti malware tools you can find thats freeware and good he could also be keylogging!

such as spybot search and destroy/spyware terminator 2 and adaware!

the other way round this is use a LINUX LIVE disk such as UBUNTU then NOTHING is LOGGED
smile.gif

you may also want to check that its not running any sort of real time monitoring such as a VNC client like WINVNC etc this would show as an icon in the task bar or in task manager these programs will give remote access/monitoring from any machine anywhere in the world
frown.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Get a USB flash drive, install Firefox Portable
QUOTEohhh man thats alot of work to do
I think it is very wise of your parents to check what you are doing online.

BTW seeing which sites you are browsing can also be done without even touching the computer your on (and I don't mean VNC).

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
They are parents, for one that's what they're for second they are held responsible if anything happens. Also if installing portable firefox on an USB stick is too much then damn
tongue.gif

I mean you can easily track which websites are accessed if you are using a proxy for example. No need to hack / modify the machine to do anything.

QUOTE said:
first, check where the keyboard is plugged into the PC, you can get small dongles that go between the keyboard and PC and log everything you type. don't ask how i know

apb407

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well honestly i have nothing too really hide, the fact that they would invade my privacy in the first place when i have never done anything bad before is annoying me. Also i checked the task manager and did not find a VNC client but i feel like i have seen something called VNC before on my computer....il have to check it out, i dont know this is a VNC client thing but i my dad can connect to my external hard drive from his laptop but he has to get permission from this computer first. Last which spyware thing would you recommend i try out ?

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Half-On-Topic: If it was me as a parent, I'd be packet-sniffing the network and running a linux box as a router... do your parents have any hidden computers lying around?
smile.gif
On Topic:
While I wouldn't doubt the abilities of your father, it could very well just be a ruse. Kinda' like: "Don't too far that way or the market-man will get you and sell you for a bag of rice." (don't ask)

In the event that they are tracking what you are doing... you said you have nothing to hide so don't sweat it. A computer is a privilege... not a right. They're just being parents
smile.gif
The day you buy your own computer and internet connection, you can go tell them to mind their own business.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
BiscuitBee said:
Half-On-Topic: If it was me as a parent, I'd be packet-sniffing the network and running a linux box as a router... do your parents have any hidden computers lying around?
smile.gif
On Topic:
While I wouldn't doubt the abilities of your father, it could very well just be a ruse. Kinda' like: "Don't too far that way or the market-man will get you and sell you for a bag of rice." (don't ask)

In the event that they are tracking what you are doing... you said you have nothing to hide so don't sweat it. A computer is a privilege... not a right. They're just being parents
smile.gif
The day you buy your own computer and internet connection, you can go tell them to mind their own business.
+1 (and not just for avatar and sig
wink.gif
).

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bet they arent even that experienced with computers. It sounds like a bluff to me. And seriously, if you come and post here about it, then complain about using the extremely easy to use PortableFirefox, then perhaps you should bother. Also if you if you can show a screenshot of all running processes in task manager, Id be able to identify any monitoring applications

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apb407 said:
Hey guys lately my parents have been very very nosey about what i do on the computer and i really dont have anything to hide but its starting to really bug me. My dad is really good with computers and my mom says that he can check whatever i do on sites like facebook and can get into my account. Now the only way i can think they would be able to do that is through cookies or whatever and saved files. I use Safari and put on private browsing so that shouldnt keep anything right ? I am using Windows Vista and am not the admin but i do know the admins password if needed
rolleyes.gif

So what are the ways i can prevent my parents from doing this shit

Change your account to admin privileges.
Clear cookies, cache.
Download CCleaner run cleaner (Set it to DOD 5220.22-M 3 Passes)
Download good antivirus scan for keyloggers etc. (NOD32, Kasperspy, Avira, etc)

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude seriously, they can just request a log from you internet service provider... they keep track of every website you've been on in your life!!!!! ( on their service of course )

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sylux92 said:
They could be using something like opendns, which keeps logs of websites you go to.
I didn't know OpenDNS did that

But yes, they can set up the router to point towards a locally hosted DNS server whihc would log everything.

Which is why I'd suggest Portable FIrefox + Tor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.