Hacking Wart - A New Super Mario Bros Tileset Editor

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean in terms of 'main language of production', I know most of the folks working on this stuff are pretty diverse, but I think that, say, SMW Central came up as a fansite for romhacks and was not the birthplace of the Mario World romhack. It just made me wonder if Lunar Magic was first constructed on some Japanese forum somewhere, is all.

And, BAMP is my lack of knowing what to call it, but, the music-synced alternate animation of the enemies and other sprites.

creffca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.O

Sorry, been out of town for a couple of weeks and forgot about Wart (haha). Here is the latest dev release:

Wart 2.9.3

Changes:
-Added status screens
-Gimped terrain viewer now accessible by default (although that easter egg was THE SHIT)

Once my life gets back to normal I'll probably continue working on it.

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoiler Alert: LOZ_Secret.wav

Edit: Consider obfuscation

Edit2: Konami != Nintendo

Launch Wart with argument minion.exe, enter the Konami code (uuddlrlrba), boom running ShyGuy.

What do I win?

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
creffca said:
vashgs said:
What do I win?

A running shyguy. The terrain viewer used to only be accessible through the easter egg.

Boo
wink.gif
Check your PM.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Treeki recently had an issue with the program, where it was saving incorrectly and causing crashes when used with the game. Don't know if that got fixed or not. In any case, from what I've read, it's possible to make a message box system into the tilesets with this tool, which will be very useful.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Excuse me, Wart, but your editor does not work if you try and export and then import a PNG. I did such, and it created a glitched tileset. Not -majorly- glitched, mind you, but essentially unusable. You see, on the top right-hand corner of EVERY tile, there is a white spot. Also, some of the alpha transparency is damaged. Possibly some of the color depth is lost too but that one's hard to compare, so don't take my word on that one. But that white dot is DEFINITELY there, on every tile, even though the png is seemingly fine. :\

creffca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TobiasAmaranth said:
Excuse me, Wart, but your editor does not work if you try and export and then import a PNG. I did such, and it created a glitched tileset. Not -majorly- glitched, mind you, but essentially unusable. You see, on the top right-hand corner of EVERY tile, there is a white spot. Also, some of the alpha transparency is damaged. Possibly some of the color depth is lost too but that one's hard to compare, so don't take my word on that one. But that white dot is DEFINITELY there, on every tile, even though the png is seemingly fine. :\

I'll get on it right away.

Bug reports are good and I'm surprised there haven't been tons more considering how much I rushed this program.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
The issue is that you're not filling in the 4px padding on each side of the tile correctly.

The top and bottom sides must clone their closest pixels on the top/bottom of the tile. The left and right sides must clone their closest pixels on the left/right of the tile. The corners must clone the pixel on the tile's respective corner.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Suggestions for Improvements
-Add more collisions to default... eg: climbable chain link fence is 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 06 for center piece.
-Make it so when you do use the default painter... the turns purple under the collision window as well.. it is kind of difficult to tell what is painted and what is not sometimes.
-Ability to remove Items from a loaded tile-set (if there is a way I could not figure it out).

-I need to learn how to do this... but an option to make the tiles work in the manor slopped grass does. Where it creates one long line rather then one big square.

Besides that and the slight issue treeki mentioned... this app is pretty awesome.
smile.gif

DJRehab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO... in stage view > save > to ISO it only pops dialogue box saying "No, you wish sucka!"

wow I was rollin on that one! I keep right clicking>Add object for a couple hours to see that dialogue box! lmao

anyway the tool is GREAT and minor improvements still need to be made, but that is with any project still in development so keep up the great work!

Now if we could only get our hands on this Reggie! tool we can make our wildest dreams come true! Treeki, don't take that wrong and I understand if it is still a year or two before the release even, just some of us have so many thoughts put into level making and this Tanooki tool is crap since they gave up on it...I'm very limited with it and can't do half of what I need done...hell, no terrain editing BLOWS!

lol anyway GREAT tool,

I

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's been going on with this program? There hasn't been a new release, or even any real posts here for 2 months. I was just wondering what happened.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it were me, i would assume that development has come to a stand still...
which it has!

Wart is buggy and has its issues, but it works and it's the best we got right now.

The only"real" issue i keep coming across is the randomly generated tiles when replacing images/objects for existing tile-sets, but that one drives me MENTAL!!! I hope someone develops a proper NSMBW tile-set editor soon, if not this baby will have to do, i suppose.

Ugothacked

Trophies
Website
UgotHacked.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice, have you tested this with other wii games? I think it may be possible with the .arc ones in SMG, i havent look at them much yet, but i will soon and report, i dont think so dough... ;(

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Figured out my randomly switching tile glitch is related to certain tilesets i was using as a base for my edits... Always chose a "blank" tileset when creating entire new tiles (not just skinning old ones).

Also anyone who is even half serious about making tilesets for NSMBW would know this app is the best we have, but has many flaws... Hopefully someday we will see a MAJOR update or a whole new app all together.

AngelSL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Oh cool, I discovered Wart was written using .NET when I opened it in a hex editor.

Easter egg found.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: found another less-exciting easter egg!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5