Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Its not, i agree with that.
But again, if the R4i team actually tested the firmware they would have run into this problem and the firmware would've never been released.
So i still say the R4i team deserves the blame for this happening. since they're the ones copying and pasting, and deceiving their customers.

Gateway didnt deceive their customers, since their launcher works perfectly fine.
They dont have to guarantee that their code works if modified. Thats on the R4i team to guarantee.

There's a slight problem man , that this method of protection is NUTS because it can affect MORE than clones

Imagine that you have an old sd and upon copying the launcher dat to your sd something gets changed , a slight change if you want , but something changes. This checksum checker goes on and BAM , you're dead

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I live FAR away to any place where I could get ANY of these cards, but I was considering to buy the "Gateway 3DS". After this, I'm 120% convinced I won't ever give them a cent. I'll wait until the other clones find and remove the code that breaks the 3DS.

As someone else said, an SD card gets corrupted very easily, I've bought many replacements over the years. I'm not going to throw away my 3DS just because they thought that breaking the entire console was a good security measure against clones.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Its not, i agree with that.
But again, if the R4i team actually tested the firmware they would have run into this problem and the firmware would've never been released.
So i still say the R4i team deserves the blame for this happening. since they're the ones copying and pasting, and deceiving their customers.

Gateway didnt deceive their customers, since their launcher works perfectly fine.
They dont have to guarantee that their code works if modified. Thats on the R4i team to guarantee.
The GW launcher could still brick a user's console if the SD is corrupted.

Did he really?
I just translated the quote but I trust profi200.

Reactions: Snailface

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I live FAR away to any place where I could get ANY of these cards, but I was considering to buy the "Gateway 3DS". After this, I'm 120% convinced I won't ever give them a cent. I'll wait until the other clones find and remove the code that breaks the 3DS.

As someone else said, an SD card gets corrupted very easily, I've bought many replacements over the years. I'm not going to throw away my 3DS just because they thought that breaking the entire console was a good security measure against clones.
I think it's better to avoid flashcarts at all as smealum and others have shown it's possible to do what you can do with a flashcart without one.

Nikotchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The GW launcher could still brick a user's console if the SD is corrupted.

I just translated the quote but I trust profi200.

I see, I really hope that's the case. I've only used his launcher and I've been paranoid the whole day about having my 3DS bricked.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they did implement a check-sum check into the code.
Then GW has the responsibility to release the correct checksums for their current launcher and future launchers.
and users have to make sure the checksum after downloading and after placing it on their SD card matches GW's checksum.

Its extra work and i would be annoyed having to do it, but if you want to modify your system you have to do the work of keeping up to date and know how to make sure you dont brick your system. This applies to all system mods. (3ds,ps3,xbox,wii etc.)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has recently been found out that the Gateway team put code into their Beta 2 (clones: 3.2-3.3b) that purposely bricks 3DSs when the checksum of the launcher.dat fails.

That means even when using a real gateway card the code can trigger when the launcher.dat is corrupted in any way.

The code is written to trigger at a random point in time which is based on the time the file was copied onto the SD.

When the brick code triggers it bricks the firmware and reprograms the eMMC NAND to have a size of 0 bytes.

Normmatt's region free patch is NOT causing any bricks since he patches the brick code!

The gateway team obviously doesn't want anyone to use their stuff for free so they try blame him aswell for the bricks.

source:
https://ngb.to/threads/161-Gateway-3DS-Erste-funktionierende-3DS-Flashcart?p=187387#post187387

Dont blame Gateway team.. Jojse is right. Many clone team steal Gateway work.

As Gateway team say.. do not used Normmatt's region free patch if it is not bricks or so. They will have their region free addition in the near future. It is best to use Gateway team's programs and not anybody else like Normmatt's to be safe! :-)

kiddi88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If some big legal companies would do something like that to his competitor(even if it was a clone), would it then be differen't? Everything would go nuts. And would most likely be sued. But they can get away with this because no one knows who these guys are. That to say if they really did this on purpose.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't believe this shit.

And anyway, to those who bought these clones or having their 3DS bricked, you get what you paid for.

The R4 "team" has always been shitty and selling shitty products. R4 ain't making money as they used to be in the past.

They are just spreading false rumors and lying on forums.

And if the Gateway team really does it on purpose, then serves you right !

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gateway. Got a backup of my 6.1 emunand, I might restore that and go back to b1. I never had the save issues with it, just the occasional crash entering gateway mode. Not really comfortable having brick code on my system even though I'm using the original.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dont blame Gateway team.. Jojse is right. Many clone team steal Gateway work.

As Gateway team say.. do not used Normmatt's region free patch if it is not bricks or so. They will have their region free addition in the near future. It is best to use Gateway team's programs and not anybody else like Normmatt's to be safe! :-)
I wish you much fun in case that your SD corrupts.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i feel this would have been ok as long as gateway were open to it, as a warning. but doing it secretly is bad... they must have known that people will reverse engineer what they did...
which leads to people getting angry... and i just hope gateway does not go under and lose lots of business because, we could all do with the new features they are working on.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
bearmon2010
Did you even read the topic? Even the original launcher.dat can cause a brick. Normmatt's launcher can not. How cal you assume it's safer to use original one?

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
I confirm, I found the checksums a few days earlier and and assumed it to be related to the mass clone bricks and reported about it, then I found (a bit too late though it seems) the actual routine performing the eMMC corruption. Both of these have been implemented on purpose by the gateway developers.

I knew they most likely had a condition set so the routine wouldn't trigger 100% of times but I didn't know it was tied to the RNG, it makes perfect sense though.
I am just writing this to confirm what crediar wrote in the original post.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Bneundh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Even as an owner of gateway myself, I feel that this is unacceptable. Had I known they'd do something like this, I might not have bought it in the first place. On one hand I'm relieved I didn't buy other flashcart because of this but my view on the gateway's team has completely changed.

Reactions: zb123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol