WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by crediar, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007

There's a slight problem man , that this method of protection is NUTS because it can affect MORE than clones

Imagine that you have an old sd and upon copying the launcher dat to your sd something gets changed , a slight change if you want , but something changes. This checksum checker goes on and BAM , you're dead

2. dc740

dc740 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2014
    Argentina
    I live FAR away to any place where I could get ANY of these cards, but I was considering to buy the "Gateway 3DS". After this, I'm 120% convinced I won't ever give them a cent. I'll wait until the other clones find and remove the code that breaks the 3DS.

As someone else said, an SD card gets corrupted very easily, I've bought many replacements over the years. I'm not going to throw away my 3DS just because they thought that breaking the entire console was a good security measure against clones.

GHANMI, tjexp, MorphaX and 2 others like this.
  3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The GW launcher could still brick a user's console if the SD is corrupted.

I just translated the quote but I trust profi200.

Snailface likes this.
  4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I think it's better to avoid flashcarts at all as smealum and others have shown it's possible to do what you can do with a flashcart without one.

Kelton2 and Ray Lewis like this.
  5. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    This is hilarious.

6. Nikotchi

Nikotchi Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire

I see, I really hope that's the case. I've only used his launcher and I've been paranoid the whole day about having my 3DS bricked.

7. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    moved to first page.

alirezay likes this.
  8. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    If they did implement a check-sum check into the code.
    Then GW has the responsibility to release the correct checksums for their current launcher and future launchers.
    and users have to make sure the checksum after downloading and after placing it on their SD card matches GW's checksum.

Its extra work and i would be annoyed having to do it, but if you want to modify your system you have to do the work of keeping up to date and know how to make sure you dont brick your system. This applies to all system mods. (3ds,ps3,xbox,wii etc.)

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal

Dont blame Gateway team.. Jojse is right. Many clone team steal Gateway work.

As Gateway team say.. do not used Normmatt's region free patch if it is not bricks or so. They will have their region free addition in the near future. It is best to use Gateway team's programs and not anybody else like Normmatt's to be safe! :-)

10. kiddi88

kiddi88 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2009
    If some big legal companies would do something like that to his competitor(even if it was a clone), would it then be differen't? Everything would go nuts. And would most likely be sued. But they can get away with this because no one knows who these guys are. That to say if they really did this on purpose.

11. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    I don't believe this shit.

And anyway, to those who bought these clones or having their 3DS bricked, you get what you paid for.

The R4 "team" has always been shitty and selling shitty products. R4 ain't making money as they used to be in the past.

They are just spreading false rumors and lying on forums.

And if the Gateway team really does it on purpose, then serves you right !

Gereirhadeigne and Kippykip like this.
  12. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I have a gateway. Got a backup of my 6.1 emunand, I might restore that and go back to b1. I never had the save issues with it, just the occasional crash entering gateway mode. Not really comfortable having brick code on my system even though I'm using the original.

13. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    it funny how people are bitching about Gateway, what did you expect from a team who are thieves end of the day? did people really think team like Gateway was going to play fair?

14. GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person

Banned
    Dec 12, 2012
    http://playstationhax.it/
    Like i said before, anything connected with garyOPA is dangerous, just like his crappy True Blue, which also had the ability to brick PS3's...

frown, tjexp and Ray Lewis like this.
  15. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I wish you much fun in case that your SD corrupts.

16. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i feel this would have been ok as long as gateway were open to it, as a warning. but doing it secretly is bad... they must have known that people will reverse engineer what they did...
    which leads to people getting angry... and i just hope gateway does not go under and lose lots of business because, we could all do with the new features they are working on.

17. WoJjTeK

WoJjTeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Poland
    bearmon2010
    Did you even read the topic? Even the original launcher.dat can cause a brick. Normmatt's launcher can not. How cal you assume it's safer to use original one?

18. mathieulh

mathieulh GBAtemp Fan

Feb 28, 2008
    France
    I confirm, I found the checksums a few days earlier and and assumed it to be related to the mass clone bricks and reported about it, then I found (a bit too late though it seems) the actual routine performing the eMMC corruption. Both of these have been implemented on purpose by the gateway developers.

I knew they most likely had a condition set so the routine wouldn't trigger 100% of times but I didn't know it was tied to the RNG, it makes perfect sense though.
    I am just writing this to confirm what crediar wrote in the original post.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  19. youra6

youra6 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    Thieves have morals now?

*grabs popcorn*

Ray Lewis likes this.
  20. Bneundh

Bneundh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Even as an owner of gateway myself, I feel that this is unacceptable. Had I known they'd do something like this, I might not have bought it in the first place. On one hand I'm relieved I didn't buy other flashcart because of this but my view on the gateway's team has completely changed.

zb123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.