WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by crediar, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. escherbach

escherbach GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    wrong user reply

2. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    Insert rant here saying how wrong this is.

3. escherbach

escherbach GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    Yeah, this is unfortunately the truth. These guys found a fairly feeble exploit in a narrow range of firmware versions and are now hellbent in getting as much money as they can out of people. No philosophy of open source sharing with these guys. Shame, as it would mean much quicker progress and a larger cooperation might lead to further exploits much more quickly.

Ah well - it's like buying drugs, always be wary of the dealer

filfat and Flame like this.
  4. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Just that GW could brick consoles for users who use the official launcher, too.

temp1312 and Daku93 like this.
  5. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    What we should do is either in this thread of any of the other GW threads is release the correct checksum for the current launcher. (from users who arent having issue)
    So users who want to continue using the latest launcher can make sure their launcher isnt corrupted before using.

6. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Or you just download the official launcher and tell everyone the checksum.

7. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    or just move out of 2.0b2

8. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    well said man. major props

escherbach and gamefan5 like this.
  9. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Am I reading this correctly that normmatt's patch already patches out the brick code.

10. Runehasa

Runehasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    Where does one get Normmatts patched launcher. Im using an original card with original launcher but am leary about having such code even present in my system

11. dc740

dc740 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2014
    Argentina
    kingsora831

that doesn't have any sense. if the SD card gets corrupted you will brick your console, even when you are using the original cart. It's insecure to run GW code. The only safe option is to use the Normmatt's region free patch. And of course, never buy from GW team (again, if you have the cart).

12. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    when something similar happened with the psp scene (ps3news if i recall messing with dark-alex firmware) there was pandora to restore the bricked consoles.
    With this case there is no solution for now. nintendo wont fix it and from the looks of it even a nand restore will be helpless to fix it.

13. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Warning!

There is one report of a brick caused by the region free Launcher.dat. That means they included more bricking code, than we thought. It was already Normatt's guess, that there is more brick code. Even Normatt's Launcher is not 100% save!.

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I started to wonder if it wasn't done on purpose by the Gateway Team, and I see it has been confirmed.

The code is only in 2.0b2?
    previous versions doesn't have any (other) malicious codes like that too?

edit:
    And if there are even more than one in 2.0b2, it can be there since few revisions.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  15. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Apparently, the code works like this. It can be patched tho, but fixing 3DSes affected by the glitch will be very hard, as apparently it destroys more than just the NAND.
    The code has been found by Normatt, neimod and yellow8 apparently. However, the code can be patch, as apparently Normatt has patched the code before releasing the region free patch.

I am an owner of gateway myself, so I am not pointing fingers at them. It must be frustrating for them because other teams are using their launchers and not profiting from it.

Believe it or not, there was another team that used to do it. The DSTT team! :D Lots or clones used their firmware so to put a stop to it, they put a code to destroy the fake carts if their firmware was used on it. It didn't brick the DS tho.

All in all, I would be fine if it started bricking the cloned carts, however the console itself... A bit too far.

EDIT: This brick-code does not only brick the firmware on the NAND but also reprograms the eMMC-controller of the NAND in such a way that both 3DS and computer will think that the NAND is only 0 Bytes. This is extremely difficult to fix and you cannot fix it with a simple USB-cardreader.

^If this is true, than not even soldering fixes it. Basically, your 3DS is as good as dead.

Gereirhadeigne and Ray Lewis like this.
  16. R4iFanboi

R4iFanboi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2013
    United States
    So, this is why newer updates were delayed LOL. GATEWAY team was busy coding to brick 3DS' of people.

What about innocent people who buy at local physical stores say in countries like Brazil? Possible that a store there stock R4i Deluxe and not Gateway? The end user won't even know that Gateway is the first flashcard and have a system brick. Way to go Gateway team. YOU F&#^&%

I hope some real hackers will release custom firmwares/rom loaders not requiring flashcards, just to teach these fucking team a lesson.

17. s-arash

s-arash GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    if i get backup from my nand and my 3ds bricks , can i fix it with nand flashing?

18. Moquedami

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    If Normmatts launcher already had the bricking code patched, so he knew this would happen and could have warn about it, am I right?

19. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College

Your SD can only get corrupted if/when your writing data on it.
    So if you are about to run the launcher, and have recently written new data on ur SD card, then you have to make sure that the checksum hasnt changed before running the launcher.
    Again, this is all for those who want to continue using the latest version.

Im about to check the checksum now and will post it,
    but it will also help if others do the same so we can match checksums and know that it is indeed correct.

20. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    So the gateway makes money by developing a product that lets you pirate copywritten software but as soon as someone tries to pirate their work they go on a warpath and start purposely bricking people's stuff?! What a fine example of morality and legitimacy.

Kippykip, zero2exe, tjexp and 6 others like this.
  21. Mr_Pichu

Mr_Pichu かわいいね!

Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    While I feel it would reasonable to simply hang the hardware on detection of a modification to the launcher.dat file, bricking is not cool. That is unless you are working for the NSA, trying to protect the interests of the USA. It is NEVER okay to brick intentionally, for fun or profit.

22. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    And the DSTT Team died because everyone had panic that they own a fake one.

23. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Indeed. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.