WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by crediar, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Well it looks to me like this is all speculation but if it's true, I say bravo Gateway team.
    Sure it's a little sketchy when the method bricks the console and could potentially brick even on an official card, but there's never a 100% safe hack.
    I think it would be a little different if the clone teams were taking time to check out the potential issues before just copy/paste/release, but they're blatantly stealing original content and doing little to hide that. They deserve a good spanking like this.

condiczek likes this.
  2. WoJjTeK

WoJjTeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Poland
    Tomobobo
    Another preopsterous post it this topic. Ask yourself : Who gets the spanking in the end , clone teams or unaware users?

3. MadButch

MadButch Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    I was laughing at first when the topics appeared, since it sounded like another conspiracy theory.
    But now that it has actually been proven, this is beyond comprehension.

The only way the GW team can redeem themselves is by releasing a fix for this in a few days time.
    Then it would have been a good scare tactic, maybe theycould even have the fix use an original GW card.

But I doubt this will happen, and lots of people will have been hurt by this.

I, m a GW user myself, and didn, t like what the cloners did. But this is gone way to far.
    What if your card has a read hickup and fails the checksum... bam ... dead cart.

I will never trust any of their firmwares again, and I actually feel like sending the card back and demanding my money back...
    This is insane!

4. someonewhodied

someonewhodied Lazy Person

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    Its the users fault for getting a clone cart.

I do think that gateway fucked up though. They didn't take into account their own users having corrupted SD cards.
    If they could work around the sd corruption issue. (have a backup of the launcher on the microsd in the cartridge or something) i would be behind this 100%

condiczek likes this.
  5. Arwinger

Arwinger GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2013
    Wow, cutthroat business.

6. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Bookmarked. For everyone using launchers and changing firmwares, always check the MD5 and SHA checksum:

SHA: 3508a54dd3b1ff903fbf18ecf97b075205b67d0c (Confirmed by Kingsora831 and has another source to prove it)
    MD5: 6361c5d4935af6d888ffc0646548f5dd (Confirmed by Kingsora831, Mr_Pichu and KinecticSonata)

Seems to be the way to go for preventing a brick. Make sure when u put it on your SD card that it doesn't change, as a corrupted SD card may cause a brick as well.

porkiewpyne likes this.
  7. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Do your research and you won't be unaware.

Both the users and the clone teams are getting the spanking because no one did research.

You had plenty of info from GW saying there are clones and that their firmware will not work properly with them.

8. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Just a friendly reminder, you're using this code with absolutely no warranty, if you're gonna play with fire dont be suprised if you get burnt.

Still, not very competitor friendly of GW but companies do stupid stuff all the time like sony installing rootkits onto the laptops they sell.

9. Keylogger

Keylogger GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2006
    France
    My 3ds is bricked here with retail pkm X and region free patched launcher.dat :/

Kippykip likes this.
  10. Axel Killer

Axel Killer GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2013
    United States
    if there code is bricking 3ds sytems why is mines still working 100% huh? explain that and im on GW 7.1

11. dalc789

dalc789 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2007
    United States
    Wow, at first I thought this was just mad clone users blaming Gateway, but I guess I owe them an apology.

People are saying this is on 2.02b. Should I revert to an earlier one just to be safe? Right now my main concern is roms. I wouldn't wanna mess with emunand until a stable 2.0 is released.

12. gamefan5

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Dead cart? Axtually dead console with no way of fixing it. This is hardcore!

13. gamefan5

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Read the posts before u and u will find an answer.

14. KineticSonata

KineticSonata Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2013
    United States
    The Deep South
  15. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Because your SD is not corrupted. But be prepared that you don't find out if your SD gets corrupted and then your 3DS is fucked up.

dekoder likes this.
  16. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College

Would just add that this is the Checksums for GW 2.0b2. Not to confuse people.

And for others, if you don't know how to do a checksum check, just google it and you should be able to find a program that does it for you.
    Personally, i just use terminal on my mac and type: "SHA" and drag and drop the launcher. Then "MD5" and drag and drop the launcher again.

EDIT-
    Look at KinecticSonata's post if you need a checksum checker for WINDOWS.
    IF your on a MAC just run the terminal commands i wrote above.

gamefan5 likes this.
  17. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    It's like if someone sold you a car, and they were all like, "This car is super original" You get in, it's got Honda logos on everything but the H is turned into an A so it just says AONDA. You're like, "Fuck yeah bro, I'll buy it cause it's hella cheap and it's the same as a honda, rock on!" You drive away, the engine catches fire.

Then you get mad at Honda.

18. Axel Killer

Axel Killer GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2013
    United States
    i did and im also on the latest beta and still mines works fine but i didnt modifi it anyway what so ever i have no clue how people are getting these errors? i even used all the settings on there everything still works fine

19. gamefan5

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    A
    As long as your launcher.dat checksums are correct, you're safe.

20. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You would get mad at Honda if Honda released a Car that destroys itself if it's not 100% like when you got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.