Gaming WARNING: Ban wave has started, STAY AWAY FROM LIVE!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
olliepop2000 that is a jitter test, while writable discs does see higher levels that pressed similar results can be seen from grease, dirt and a bad reading laser (all of which are if not common then possible for a home user device, I am sure every one of us on this forum has stories of friends and family that treat discs awfully).

To this end most people gave up on such things many years ago as a possible means of detection.

I see people mention buffer underuns as well: maybe that made a difference back when CD writers first appeared but now you will have to work to produce a bad burn because of it.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
fast6191
I have performed these tests myself and that does not look too bad a burn, I was explaining to sjones900 that similar results happen with a dirty disc and if it copied to the hard drive ok it is a moot point and I agree jitter tests are not the way M$ are detecting copies, and therefore must be another method.

edit:
olliepop2000 said:
It may have high errors but if they are still correctable by the drive wouldn't it be just like having a dirty lens or game disc?

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to not risk anything and pulled the plug on my 360. I don't care at all about getting banned, but i do not want to lose the install to hdd feature since i still have a very large backlog of 360 rpgs i plan on finishing, and i don't want to hear a jet engine sound while playing them. Good thing my netflix disc arrived for PS3, i am officially a offline only 360 owner now.

Namcom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jaxxster said:
I'm starting to think its nothing to do with the games but more to do with the firmware itself.
Yeah, I'm begining to think so too, I keep reading that people who haven't played any wave 4 games are getting banned and that all the games they've played are stealth-patched...
Not exactly my favourite worst nightmare.

Anyway, is there any date to when AGBX360 with wave 4 support is released?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
quepaso said:
I decided to not risk anything and pulled the plug on my 360. I don't care at all about getting banned, but i do not want to lose the install to hdd feature since i still have a very large backlog of 360 rpgs i plan on finishing, and i don't want to hear a jet engine sound while playing them. Good thing my netflix disc arrived for PS3, i am officially a offline only 360 owner now.

You must have an Arcade or Pro, because my freshly booted 360 Premium with no discs inside is louder than my PS3 that's running a game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Namcom there is an unofficial version floating around and for the most part the current official will be fine with wave 4 games but it will throw that error (read as long as you understand what you are doing you should be good). As for a date I believe the official line is "who knows" and between this whole new banning gig and the 1.61 delay "who knows" is going to be about as good as it gets.

@olliepop2000 my bad, I need to work on my phrasing it seems (that or spend some more time on off the cuff replies). Perhaps "+1 to olliepop2000" is in order.

It also seems a new version of xell was released (with what I assume is a method to pull things from the xboxes) so depending on how lazy I feel I may induce a ban on my junker xbox or find another for experimenting and then see if I can not restore some functionality that is now lost with a ban to test my theory.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if it has already been posted here, but C4EVA did a test with three brand new Xbox 360s and flashed all of them. In one of them he put no disc, in the other one a retail disc and in the last one a backup. All three of them got banned, so his conclusion was: the firmware was detectable!

I got banned too today and I always checked if my games were stealth and awaited proper releases. Well, I guess we need a new firmware witch is stealth for real.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@danielkraak got a link to this one?
We had the fact tests were going on but the test xboxes being banned is new to this thread at least, not to mention none of the usual sources have anything about it at this time.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
quepaso said:

You must have an Arcade or Pro, because my freshly booted 360 Premium with no discs inside is louder than my PS3 that's running a game.

My 360 is a jasper with the 256 meg built in. Its pretty much dead silent without a disc spinning, but loud as heck when the disc is being accessed. In contrast, i can hardly ever tell if my PS3 slim is on regardless of anything, thing is so nice and quiet. Wii is also of course insanely quiet, but its basically as powerful as a motorola RAZR, so i dont expect much from it.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
We had the fact tests were going on but the test xboxes being banned is new to this thread at least, not to mention none of the usual sources have anything about it at this time.
I read it on the X-scene forums.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
I read it on the X-scene forums.

brink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QuantumFluxx said:
popopola said:
if you get banned would microsoft send you an email to the your email address?

I don't want to check on my xbox... =|

My method I posted a few pages back is still looking more and more accurate. If you want to know whether your banned, or flagged for a ban, follow the simple steps. I'll post them again for those who don't want to dig through old pages:

QUOTETo see if your console is banned without logging on:

1. Register (if it is not already) console on Xbox.com
2. Click "Request a Repair" button
3. Check the returned URL. If it contains "Errors.aspx?id=54420" console is banned, or flagged for a ban.

Important: If you check the status from a portal of Xbox.com outside of the US portal, you will likely get no errors. This is NOT an accurate test, the Xbox Live servers are BASED in the USA. It only makes sense that they will have the up to date info, while the affiliate websites with little polish and care just arbitrarily let you in.

I want to stress that while this information may not be 100% accurate, the evidence is definately pointing in favor of accuracy. Reports of users calling Microsoft directly and telling them they get that error are told that their consoles were detected for modification. You gotta remember Microsoft does their bans in a wave that lasts a week or two. The data and information is collected over the course of the entire previous year. Its logical to assume that microsoft doesnt decide who to ban only within the 2 weeks of the ban wave. It's also logical to assume that they start the wave with a well thought plan on who their going to ban. Why they do it over the course of a a week or two and not all at once is unknown.

All I know for my own experience, is that the friends of mine who are banned, which is all but one at this point, all of them get that error when trying to check your banned 360, while the ones with an unmodded 360 similarly get NO error on that unit. That last friend gets the error, but right now isn't banned, but I'm basing off the evidence that continues to mount, that MS began this wave knowing EXACTLY who they were taking out.

We will see when the smoke settles who recieved the error code and who got banned. I guarantee though that if your currently banned and do this test, you WILL get the error. That evidence should speak for itself really. Naysayers are only serving to add to the casualties at this point.

I get that error, but you know, I'm not going to go "OH NOESS!!!!" because like every conspiracy theory out there now, there's at least 50 other reasons that error could occur, least of which on my mind is that most people mod their console when it goes out of warranty, think that's a common enough thread?

adrian2040

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Actually, there IS a fix. However, it is very complicated and requires massive knowledge of the Xbox 360 Hardware. I won't go in detail, but it basically consists on moving the ID of an unbanned Xbox 360 and programming it into your banned Xbox 360, replacing the old ID. However, your previously purchased XBLA games won't be playable when offline because of the Xbox basically being considered another and not the one where the games where bought. And you will need to find a way to obtain the ID of an unbanned Xbox 360.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
olliepop2000 said:
sjones900 said:
These are not correctable errors I'm seeing tho.. These are bad burns, here's a perfect example.

Untitled-3.jpg

See that spike? That tells me something happened there during the burning process or there is a fault in that area on the disc.
This was burned on my old lg dvd burner though, I have a new computer and a new burner.

That was Fable 2 by the way, and this was installable to the hard drive if that matters to anyone.
You have contradicted yourself there..
Not really... I was trying to say don't let something like that fool you. That bad copy of Halo I was talking about was highly unstable in gameplay choppiness weird things happen and most of all loading time were terrible. This was also able to be installed to the hard drive but it didn't make any difference because the data that was read was incorrect. The choppiness continued along with weird bugs and slow loading times

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
adrian2040 said:
Actually, there IS a fix. However, it is very complicated and requires massive knowledge of the Xbox 360 Hardware. I won't go in detail, but it basically consists on moving the ID of an unbanned Xbox 360 and programming it into your banned Xbox 360, replacing the old ID. However, your previously purchased XBLA games won't be playable when offline because of the Xbox basically being considered another and not the one where the games where bought. And you will need to find a way to obtain the ID of an unbanned Xbox 360.
Yes I was going to mention this but most people here either don't know about this or do and cannot do this.

QuantumFluxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
danielkraak said:
I don't know if it has already been posted here, but C4EVA did a test with three brand new Xbox 360s and flashed all of them. In one of them he put no disc, in the other one a retail disc and in the last one a backup. All three of them got banned, so his conclusion was: the firmware was detectable!

I got banned too today and I always checked if my games were stealth and awaited proper releases. Well, I guess we need a new firmware witch is stealth for real.

Absolute lies. Until you see this listed in the #fw channel, its not true. C4E didn't have ANY of those three test consoles banned yet.

QUOTEI get that error, but you know, I'm not going to go "OH NOESS!!!!" because like every conspiracy theory out there now, there's at least 50 other reasons that error could occur, least of which on my mind is that most people mod their console when it goes out of warranty, think that's a common enough thread?

I'm telling you this is almost a 100% proven method at this point. It does NOT matter if a console is out of warranty or not, it means nothing since the page will load regardless of warranty status, it will just list a price for the repair if it isn't a RRoD error.

A friend of mine who wasn't banned from Xbox live yet, but recieved this error, just called the microsoft support line, gave them the console ID, and they told him his console was banned! It might not have been rolled out to the Live servers yet, but as far as MICROSOFT is concerned, he is banned.

I am telling you this is a very accurate method to finding out if your flagged for ban. ANY of you with a banned console, try this method, I guarantee you will get the error. And you state that it could be other problems, but that is incorrect, because this method is using a specific error code listed in the browser, 54420. It's not some random occurrance. If you get that error, you WILL be banned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong