Gaming Want to play wii games on the Wii U gamepad?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
meh. since it uses actual hardware (and not emulation) I'm fine using the Wii. i would keep my GameCube at least for collection purposes if i didn't give it to my sister when i left for college (she's addicted to Twilight Princess, lol). also, hacking and homebrew opportunities are easier and better on the Wii.

but you know what would be really interesting? if anyone makes any 3rd party adapters for Wii or GameCube that allow it to use the Wii U gamepad as a wireless screen... probably would be really expensive, but it would be cool. the adapter could connect to the video and controller ports on the system and have built-in streaming software and hardware (as well as software allowing the GCN to read the gamepad as a GCN controller).

Yeah, outlandish and unlikely, i know... but it would be cool.

Reactions: 2 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'd doubt that the Wii U will be capable of running two games at the same time.
Why wouldn't it be able to run two different small games if they set it up that way? (Wii and down including VC)
I'm pretty sure two wii games wouldn't require nearly as much resources as a wii u game. Assuming you can buy digital
wii games off the wii u of course.
Depends on the hardware inside and if playing Wii games is emulated or not. I'm guessing it's not emulated seeing Nintendo said games won't be upscaled to HD when played.
At least it will not be able to play two Wii games simultaneously right out of the box. Ninty isn't gonna let you play a Wii game without putting the actual retail disk in the console and there's only ONE disk slot.

That may be possible once/if Wii U mode gets hacked. I'm sure some homebrew could be made to run two devolution-style Wii virtual machines in Wii U mode and redirect each one to one of the game pads. (maybe even a third one being played on the main screen at the same time ... in full HD.)

I'm sure WII mode will be hackable right out of the box but if it's anything like GC mode on a Wii, the clock speed's gonna be dropped down to Wii speed and the other processor cores will be disabled so there won't be enough power available to do it that way.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least it will not be able to play two Wii games simultaneously right out of the box. Ninty isn't gonna let you play a Wii game without putting the actual retail disk in the console and there's only ONE disk slot.

That why I said if they give you the option to download wii games from the e-shop. We already know it only has one. :lol: When I read that first sentence, I thought you were saying Nintendo will do due time.

That may be possible once/if Wii U mode gets hacked. I'm sure some homebrew could be made to run two devolution-style Wii virtual machines in Wii U mode and redirect each one to one of the game pads. (maybe even a third one being played on the main screen at the same time ... in full HD.)
That may be a bit to much.

I'm sure WII mode will be hackable right out of the box but if it's anything like GC mode on a Wii, the clock speed's gonna be dropped down to Wii speed and the other processor cores will be disabled so there won't be enough power available to do it that way.
I doubt it, but the would be awesome anyway.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
This would be really good for things like.. SSBB, where you can control with the classic controller, but useless for games which are only programmed to use the wii remote/nunchuck.

I don't see why some of you are even considering a possibility like "Oh yeah, it'd be fine to use it on such a small screen". Are you joking? The Wii U control pad isn't a portable games system, it streams from the Wii U. You really think you're ever going to be in a situation where you have your Wii-U plugged into a mains supply, wiimotes and nunchucks with you and the gamepad, and you DON'T have a television at your disposal? Why would you ever consider that?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why some of you are even considering a possibility like "Oh yeah, it'd be fine to use it on such a small screen". Are you joking? The Wii U control pad isn't a portable games system, it streams from the Wii U. You really think you're ever going to be in a situation where you have your Wii-U plugged into a mains supply, wiimotes and nunchucks with you and the gamepad, and you DON'T have a television at your disposal? Why would you ever consider that?
The video I posted shows that some people don't mind playing on a small screen despite having a TV around. Even then, some families share consoles, so the TV may not be available and while you can move the console, I doubt many would want to move the console around that much either because of laziness or the safety of the console. Plus people like multitasking more these days, so some may want to play and watch TV at the same time. Not saying it's for everyone or every game, but it would be a nice option for people who want to use it and don't care about their eyeballs.That why some would ever consider that.

Or the very off chance that they didn't have a TV or plan on getting one.
-I can game on a console without buying a TV? FTW!

:lol:

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
The video I posted shows that some people don't mind playing on a small screen despite having a TV around. Even then, some families share consoles, so the TV may not be available and while you can move the console, I doubt many would want to move the console around that much either because of laziness or the safety of the console. Plus people like multitasking more these days, so some may want to play and watch TV at the same time. Not saying it's for everyone or every game, but it would be a nice option for people who want to use it and don't care about their eyeballs.That why some would ever consider that.

Or the very off chance that they didn't have a TV or plan on getting one.
-I can game on a console without buy a TV? FTW!

:lol:

Ahh.. okay, I get your reasoning. The reason that idea didn't even click to me is that I can't remember the last time I didn't have 2 TVs next to each other :P .

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster Hunter Tri + This = Day One Buy.
Or you could wait for Tri G to come over here?

Whenever the hell that happens.

Nah, all my cool weapons and records are on Tri and im not up for redoing them and I doubt there will be a porting feature in Tri G. Plus im pretty sure Capcom has just ignored the fact that Tri G even exists as far as outside of japan.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Playing some Wii games on the Gamepad sounds wonderful. Games like MH3, Mario Kart, Smash Bros will play beautifully. With dual analog sticks, D-Pad, Motion and decent graphics on an adequate screen size.

On the other hand, some games like Skyward Sword which largely uses the Wiimote + will not work very well unless it's tweaked to suit a dual analog format.

Sadly, I don't really see this happening. My guess is you COULD use the Wii U Gamepad to control (just like using the circle pad on DS games), but the screen is blank/dark.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Playing some Wii games on the Gamepad sounds wonderful. Games like MH3, Mario Kart, Smash Bros will play beautifully. With dual analog sticks, D-Pad, Motion and decent graphics on an adequate screen size.
On the other hand, some games like Skyward Sword which largely uses the Wiimote + will not work very well unless it's tweaked to suit a dual analog format.
Sadly, I don't really see this happening. My guess is you COULD use the Wii U Gamepad to control (just like using the circle pad on DS games), but the screen is blank/dark.
I see SOME hope for the WiiU to do something like this right out of the box but not much. Even then It would probably just be having the GPU optionally redirect video to the pad's screen when going into backwards compatibility mode. Anything more than that would probably require them to rewrite the IOS's used by Wii games and even that kind of attention to detail in the hardware just for backwards compatibility, let alone in the software, is not something Nintendo has ever shown interest before.

I think our best bet on this is just wait for some homebrew to do it. If we're lucky we won't even have to wait for WiiU mode to get hacked and the streaming video stuff is still accessible in Wii mode like the USB or front SD slot is with DM(L) in GC mode on the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: