Want To Install A9LH, But Keep EmuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kurt91, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I've been considering swapping to A9LH, for the faster and more consistent boot speeds. However, I've been using RxTools EmuNAND, and while I don't want to lose all the save data for the games that I've been playing, RxTools doesn't support A9LH yet.

So, I want to find a way to swap my RxTools EmuNAND to something like AuReiNAND, while keeping my save data and CIA files. I also want to set up my N3DS to run A9LH and auto-boot into AuReiNAND EmuNAND. (Yes, I know I can do everything from SysNAND now, but I'd rather keep EmuNAND)

I know that there are various guides to set up A9LH as safely as possible, but the RxTools-to-AuReiNAND is what's throwing me off a bit. Any advice on how I would go about doing this?

2. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    To switch from Rx"tools" to Aureinand, just delete all the files for Rx"tools" and replace them for Aureinand's files.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm like you: I want to keep emuNAND, so by using Aureinand, all you have to do is NOT check "updatedsysnand" in its config menu (you'll know what it is when you see it) which you will see on boot.

3. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    With sysnand a9hl installed, in Luma3ds 5.4 config menu (holding Select and power on), enabled auto sysnand -> to enter a9lh sysnand,
    disabled auto sysnand -> to enter emunand.

I installed menuhax from a9hl sysnand - oot3dhax - ctrbootmanager - hbl - menuhax 2.2, set up menuhax button as Right, reboot.

Pressing Right and power on, enter ctrbootmanager, but unable to enter emunand by Luma3ds or Reinand.

How can i use menuhax to enter emunand in a a9lh installed n3ds ? Thanks

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Follow Plailect's guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
    You can simply skip the sections in Part 5 which have to do with copying redNAND to sysNAND and leave "Autoboot sysNAND" and "SysNAND is updated" disabled.
    You can start at Part 4 since you already have CFW. Anytime redNAND is mentioned replace with emuNAND.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 21, 2016
    Quantumcat likes this.
  5. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    After you installed a9lh you can use the original dumped emunand (before it was formatted) by flashing it to sysnand with the option of flash nand and keep a9lh.

6. nickwhit

nickwhit GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Following the guide from part 4.... you lose NOTHING from your original emuNAND.. granted you follow all the instructions.

7. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Does it mean i cannot use menuhax (pressing its default button L when power on) to enter emunand in an a9lh installed n3ds ?Thanks

8. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yes, but your cfw will do that now. I'd recommend Luma3ds for this and you probably want to get rid of emunand anyways with a9lh.

9. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    With a9lh you won't need menuhax to run emuNAND. Luma3ds can run it from boot. Plus your NAND be it sys or emu will always run with patches applied so you can install And use .cia files at boot into sysnand

10. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Oh yes, just found that
    with Autoboot SysNAND in Luma3ds 5.4 config menu ticked, pressing L when power on does boot into emunand;
    with Autoboot SysNAND in Luma3ds 5.4 config menu unticked, pressing L when power on boots into a9lh installed sysnand capable of running cias.

Nevertheless, i keep pressing my chosen Menuhax button (ie. "Right" instead of the default "L") when power on to enter hbl to run certain homebrews like gbSP CTRXplorer prboom etc.

Last edited by emuashui, May 21, 2016
  11. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    A better option would be to use the .cia HBL Loader.
    https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader

emuashui likes this.
  12. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Well, .cia hbl loader is convenient indeed.

Strange to find out, the GW 3dsx menu cannot be launched from hbl in a9lh installed sysnand 9.2 (thru oot3dhax), or from .cia hbl loader in emunand 10.7.
    No any dragon logo displayed. Both NANDs still linked (still considering which NAND to unlink using Tinyformat.. i want eshop access, gba nds cias running, GW use. I still have no good answer how to implement these 3 ).

Is using enunand 9.2 for entering that GW 3dsx menu the only available method at the moment? ​

13. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    No, it should be working on sysnand 9.2. Are you sure you have the launcher.dat at the root of the SD, and are you sure you're using the latest version of the HB menu?

14. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Recopied launcher.dat to root of sdcard and the pair of GW 3dsx files to /3ds/GW/ from the 3.7.1Beta archive, but still unable to launch GW menu from a9hl installed sysnand 9.2 thru oot3dhax hbl. Strange.

15. nickwhit

nickwhit GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Why on earth would you want to use GW if you have A9LH anyway?
    Ditch the emunand and just stick to A9LH, updated sysNAND.
    You seem to be adding unnecessary steps in everything youre doing, just based on this thread.

16. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Update: i cloned the above 9.2 sysnand to emunand.
    Yes, GW menu through oot hbl can run in emunand 9.2 .
    But why GW menu through the same oot hbl CANNOT run in a9lh installed sysnand 9.2 ?

17. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    // Temptress Cerise said: ↑
    Sounds like you have the NTR firmware.bin inside your Luma folder, I overlooked that at one point, and had a similar issue, removing it, fixed my issues of booting into GW Menu/Mode from an A9LH Luma3DS 9.2 sysNAND. //

Edit: thank Temptress Cerise, yes you are right and my test confirms it, by removing /luma/firmware.bin (after successful installation of a9lh) the GW menu/mode can also be accessed thru hbl on a9lh installed 9.2 sysnand, apart from 9.2 emunand.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switching-to-a9lh-from-gw.427894/page-2#post-6379715

18. Sigiz

Sigiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    India
    actually when i moved from rx to a9lh , i used a spare sd card to get a9lh and when i put in my original sd .. i still had my cia's installed

sidenote:- attempting to remove the emunand partition turned all my custom cia that was previously installed on emunand to go black , however cias previously installed to sysnand still remain :D

emuashui likes this.
  19. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    To load a9lh 3ds using your old sdcard again, what folders and files did you copied from yr spare a9lh installer sdcard to the old card?

20. Sigiz

Sigiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    India
    otp and the luma files probably and the arm9loaderhax related files on the root

(basically replace most of the files except the nintendo 3ds folder

emuashui likes this.