WAKE ON LAN stops working if computer has been off for a while

owerlord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
WAKE ON LAN stops working if computer has been off for a while (after ABOUT 8mins) and wont open anymore.

So it works fine for 7 MINs and after that no.

Can anyone help me? :(

I have win 10 and Asus Z170 pro gaming motherboard

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
what is wake on lan used for?
i had seen this term lots of times and i suspect it's a feature which wakes the computer from sleep in case you are using it as a server or something

Last edited by migles,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
what is wake on lan used for?
i had seen this term lots of times and i suspect it's a feature which wakes the computer from sleep in case you are using it as a server or something
exactly - your computer is off, but still connected to power and network and just listening for a magic packet that you send to wake it up, and boot it :)

so you can turn on your computer from anywhere anytime (provided you can get past your firewall lol)

you could use it to wake up at a certain time, download torrents/sync stuff, then make it shut down when finished, and repeat, once a week for example.

Reactions: migles

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Did you have to post the same thread/question in two different sub forums? That kills any desire for me to want to help you.

@migles Power on LAN is a way to let the computer switch on when it receives a "magic packet" through the Ethernet port. It can either be initiated from another computer in the network or remotely from the internet via the router (the latter is often a PITA to set up). Once the computer boots up, it's possible to connect to the computer using Remote Desktop/management tools or run scheduled tasks.

Enabling it requires changing BIOS settings, Windows power management settings, Ethernet driver settings, and sometimes router settings. Guides are available on the Internet.

Reactions: migles

owerlord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Did you have to post the same thread/question in two different sub forums? That kills any desire for me to want to help you.

@migles Power on LAN is a way to let the computer switch on when it receives a "magic packet" through the Ethernet port. It can either be initiated from another computer in the network or remotely from the internet via the router (the latter is often a PITA to set up). Once the computer boots up, it's possible to connect to the computer using Remote Desktop/management tools or run scheduled tasks.

Enabling it requires changing BIOS settings, Windows power management settings, Ethernet driver settings, and sometimes router settings. Guides are available on the Internet.
Do u know how to do this? :( for hours i have tried looking on the net

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Trouble with this one i found in the past was home based routers only allowing dynamic arp instead or static arp - Home routers will drop the ip after a period of time in dynamic arp. With static ARP you can lock the mac adddy to the ip addy and thus magic packet will sucecssfully reach the endpoint and WOL. To get around this i used a pfsense instead of buying expensive router that allowed static Arp.

Edit :- Static IP reservation also will not work, as its the arp table, that purges the route after given time frame using dynamic arp.

Last edited by DaveLister,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here