WAKE ON LAN stops working if computer has been off for a while

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by owerlord, Sep 17, 2016.

1. owerlord
    OP

owerlord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2009
    Finland
    WAKE ON LAN stops working if computer has been off for a while (after ABOUT 8mins) and wont open anymore.

So it works fine for 7 MINs and after that no.

Can anyone help me? :(

I have win 10 and Asus Z170 pro gaming motherboard

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    what is wake on lan used for?
    i had seen this term lots of times and i suspect it's a feature which wakes the computer from sleep in case you are using it as a server or something

Last edited by migles, Sep 17, 2016
  3. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    exactly - your computer is off, but still connected to power and network and just listening for a magic packet that you send to wake it up, and boot it :)

so you can turn on your computer from anywhere anytime (provided you can get past your firewall lol)

you could use it to wake up at a certain time, download torrents/sync stuff, then make it shut down when finished, and repeat, once a week for example.

migles likes this.
  4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Did you have to post the same thread/question in two different sub forums? That kills any desire for me to want to help you.

@migles Power on LAN is a way to let the computer switch on when it receives a "magic packet" through the Ethernet port. It can either be initiated from another computer in the network or remotely from the internet via the router (the latter is often a PITA to set up). Once the computer boots up, it's possible to connect to the computer using Remote Desktop/management tools or run scheduled tasks.

Enabling it requires changing BIOS settings, Windows power management settings, Ethernet driver settings, and sometimes router settings. Guides are available on the Internet.

migles likes this.
  5. owerlord
    OP

owerlord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2009
    Finland
    Do u know how to do this? :( for hours i have tried looking on the net